Brandon Morrow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Morrow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Morrow

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:12 pm

I have been very patient with this young man, but I just don't see how he is rosterable at this point. His ERA is now pushing 5 and he is wildly inconsistent. Everytime he looks good and may have harnassed his stuff, he throws up a turd. It has been going on almost his whole career and I don't know if it's worth the hassle of wondering if he should be started from week to week. Any thoughts?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brandon Morrow

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Simmer down. He had a 2.17 FIP/3.30 xFIP heading into this start with a 11.16 K/9. The problem is not Morrow, the problem was starting Morrow against a Boston Red Sox lineup that is on fire.
Last edited by mweir145 on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:26 pm

mweir145 wrote:Simmer down. He had a 2.17 FIP/3.30 xFIP heading into this start with a 11.16 K/9. The problem is not Morrow, the problem was starting Morrow against a Boston Red Sox lineup that is on fire.

I was just going to say.....Morrow is a great buy low right now.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:32 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Simmer down. He had a 2.17 FIP/3.30 xFIP heading into this start with a 11.16 K/9. The problem is not Morrow, the problem was starting Morrow against a Boston Red Sox lineup that is on fire.

I was just going to say.....Morrow is a great buy low right now.

Morrow actually had his good stuff today, too, there's nothing wrong with him. The Red Sox are just that locked in right now. Not sure why anybody would start any pitcher against them unless it's H2H and they've already lost ERA/WHIP.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:40 pm

And the crap starts against Cleveland/Houston/Minnesota/Detroit? He rarely pitches more than 6 innings, he walks a MINIMUM of 2 per start, you can quote all the saber stuff but the point is that he is not getting it done. I don't care if the Sox are hot, you don't throw Adrian Gonzalez an inside fastball on 0-2. And you don't hit pathetic Jed Lowrie on an 0-2 pitch. Those are bad mistakes, uncorrectable by xFip. Walking people is going to burn you everytime, and he doesn't help himself there. Throwing a lot of balls is going to burn you everytime, and he doesn't help himself there. The reason players are getting hits off him at such a high rate is that on 2-1 and 3-1 counts, hitters are prepared for what he is gonna throw and know it's gonna be in the strike zone so they hit it hard for hits.

I see that he doesn't really give up the HR this season, which is nice, and hitters are actually only hitting .241 against him, but they are hitting .263 with runners on, .306 with RISP and .346 with RISP/2 Out. Last season hitters hit only .248 against him, but .280 with runners on and .293 with RISP. It's a bad trend and highly noticeable when watching his games. I am unsure if he is uncomfortable out of the stretch or he presses too much with runners on or RISP, but there is something that changes in him with people on base and I don't know if you can explain it with stats. He is a human, not a robot, and he seems to have a flaw.

This is not all to say that he cannot correct it, or that your saber stats may normalize, but I am of the opinion that I can do without waiting for him. Under your advice I will hold onto him for 2 more starts but if he can't string together something decent, he's is gone.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:41 pm

It's H2H and I have weekly changes. The two start week with Morrow's K's was enough for me to let him play for me, for once.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:58 pm

rjforlife wrote:And the crap starts against Cleveland/Houston/Minnesota/Detroit? He rarely pitches more than 6 innings, he walks a MINIMUM of 2 per start, you can quote all the saber stuff but the point is that he is not getting it done.

Why would either of those things surprising to somebody who drafted Brandon Morrow? He was a high K/high BB pitcher with huge upside when you drafted him. Nothing has changed.

I don't care if the Sox are hot, you don't throw Adrian Gonzalez an inside fastball on 0-2.

Molina asked for him to throw an inside fastball and he through it in the exact location that Molina asked for. If there was a mistake there (there wasn't, btw, they were attempting to jam Gonzalez inside after he hit a slider hard in his first AB), that's on Molina, not Morrow.

And you don't hit pathetic Jed Lowrie on an 0-2 pitch. Those are bad mistakes, uncorrectable by xFip.

So you're pissed because he got ahead of Lowrie and then one of his sliders moved a bit too much and hit Jed Lowrie in the knee? It happens.

I see that he doesn't really give up the HR this season, which is nice, and hitters are actually only hitting .241 against him, but they are hitting .263 with runners on, .306 with RISP and .346 with RISP/2 Out. Last season hitters hit only .248 against him, but .280 with runners on and .293 with RISP. It's a bad trend and highly noticeable when watching his games. I am unsure if he is uncomfortable out of the stretch or he presses too much with runners on or RISP, but there is something that changes in him with people on base and I don't know if you can explain it with stats. He is a human, not a robot, and he seems to have a flaw.

He does better out of the wind up. This isn't that unusual for many pitchers, though.

This is not all to say that he cannot correct it, or that your saber stats may normalize, but I am of the opinion that I can do without waiting for him. Under your advice I will hold onto him for 2 more starts but if he can't string together something decent, he's is gone.

Hey, you were the one asking for advice. I gave it. If you really want to drop him in 2 more starts, somebody else will reap the benefits when his ERA corrects itself in the 2nd half (as it did last season).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:00 pm

rjforlife wrote:It's H2H and I have weekly changes. The two start week with Morrow's K's was enough for me to let him play for me, for once.

The funny thing is that Morrow's stuff was a lot worse on Monday in KC. He didn't have the same FB as today and his slider was non-existent. Still got through 6 innings scoreless because of the quality of the lineup there.

Boston is simply clicking offensively right now. It's best not to look at this start as a sign of things to come.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Bullatopia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:02 pm

He just got rocked by the red hot Boston offense, today. I think he gave up 9 ER in like 4 or 5 innings
Bullatopia
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:51 pm

He's just not a great pitcher. Great stuff sure, no doubt, but if he's not missing outside the strikezone he's missing inside the strikezone and that can be just as bad. He is what he is..he'll string together some great starts but he'll mix in his share of bombs. Maybe he figures it all out, maybe he doesn't but I won't expect it until he puts together a whole season of consistancy.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers