Which Keeper to drop? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which Keeper to drop? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Keeper to drop? WHIR

Postby facekdr » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:25 am

I am in last place in my 10 team H2H league and need to make a move. My league keeps 5 or 6 and I have 5 potential keepers on the DL with 2 out for the season. Uggla just got cut and I think he might be able to help my team if he turns it around.

Who do I cut for Uggla??

C J.P. Arencibia
1B Adam Dunn
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Plácido Polanco
SS Ian Desmond
OF Lance Berkman
OF Jayson Werth
OF Nick Markakis
Util David Ortiz
BN Matt Holliday (DL)
BN Buster Posey (DL)
BN Jason Heyward (DL)
BN Ryan Zimmerman (DL)

SP Tim Lincecum
SP Trevor Cahill
SP Dan Haren
RP Francisco Cordero
RP Matt Capps
P Ricky Nolasco
P Francisco Liriano
BN Gio González
BN Stephen Strasburg (DL)

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Strikeouts (K), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Complete Games (CG), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)
facekdr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which Keeper to drop? WHIR

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:47 am

No one? I don't see what you would do with Uggla, already having Phillips entrenched at 2B. I guess you could drop Posey if he is just on your bench, I don't see how you could possibly keep him. Not that he might not have the talent but only keeping 5 or 6 I would rather have someone else than a catcher who has been out of the game for nearly an entire season who has not really proven anything but that he is good not great in not even a total of one full MLB season. I don't love Dunn/Polanco/Desmond but picking up Uggla doesn't really help you with that. What year is this team? You have a tough year ahead of you, and with that way things are going I would be looking towards next season.

I would pick up Uggla and drop someone you don't think you would keep, then try to make 2:1 trades where you upgrade your team and end up with 5-6 awesome keepers because if you are in last now, I don't love your chances of winning a league. However, you have some good talent here and with a couple of savvy moves, you could position yourself to be a top team next season. I would move: Phillips/Berkman/Ortiz/Haren/Cahill/Nolasco and see if out of those 6 you can find 2-3 really good keepers to add to Holliday/Zimmerman/Lincecum. Then you can wait around and see what happens with guys like Heyward and Desmond and Werth, and weigh your options with Strasburg and Posey.

None of this relates to the topic but the point I am making is that Uggla is really a non-factor in all of this because you can't trade him, and he isn't going to be a keeper. Unless you think you can pull this one out of your a$$, then I would start making moves now to position myself for a monster 2012.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby jpbusta » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:19 am

rjforlife wrote:No one? I don't see what you would do with Uggla, already having Phillips entrenched at 2B. I guess you could drop Posey if he is just on your bench, I don't see how you could possibly keep him. Not that he might not have the talent but only keeping 5 or 6 I would rather have someone else than a catcher who has been out of the game for nearly an entire season who has not really proven anything but that he is good not great in not even a total of one full MLB season. I don't love Dunn/Polanco/Desmond but picking up Uggla doesn't really help you with that. What year is this team? You have a tough year ahead of you, and with that way things are going I would be looking towards next season.

I would pick up Uggla and drop someone you don't think you would keep, then try to make 2:1 trades where you upgrade your team and end up with 5-6 awesome keepers because if you are in last now, I don't love your chances of winning a league. However, you have some good talent here and with a couple of savvy moves, you could position yourself to be a top team next season. I would move: Phillips/Berkman/Ortiz/Haren/Cahill/Nolasco and see if out of those 6 you can find 2-3 really good keepers to add to Holliday/Zimmerman/Lincecum. Then you can wait around and see what happens with guys like Heyward and Desmond and Werth, and weigh your options with Strasburg and Posey.

None of this relates to the topic but the point I am making is that Uggla is really a non-factor in all of this because you can't trade him, and he isn't going to be a keeper. Unless you think you can pull this one out of your a$$, then I would start making moves now to position myself for a monster 2012.

RJ put it down so well that I don't have any comments to add. Just like he said, you're probably not going to keep Uggla and can't trade him for a bag of dirt so no huge reason to pick him up. However I agree that you should drop Posey to pick up Uggla because at this point, Posey's useless even in Keeper leagues when you can only keep 5~6 players.

Trading away decent hot players for keeper players is a good idea, however I wouldn't advise you to focus everything on next season. Even if you're in last place, it's better to be in top half than bottom half right? If you give up on the season, that just takes away all the fun for the remainder of 2011.

Anyways good luck. :-)

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=433064
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bea Arthur » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:22 am

If anyone, you could probably cut Strasburg. But like the last poster said, I don't see where Uggla helps you, unless Phillips goes down.

Help w/mine? viewtopic.php?t=433038
Bea Arthur
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baegames » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:29 am

I agree. You cut Posey or Strasburg (preferably Posey). He will not be one of the top 6 to be protected, and maybe a package of players including Uggla if he turns it around can get you a better keeper. If you are solely focused on next year, picture your 8 potential keepers (in case you change your mind or someone is injured) and trade those only for a better ranked keeper. Everyone else is cuttable for an upgrade this year, especially one with more TRADE VALUE.
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 200)

Postby emeraldcitysaints » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:17 pm

The Posey injury was pretty horrific and it might be a long time until he helps anyone. At least with Uggla he may play better sometime this year and you can package him up in a deal.
emeraldcitysaints
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Probably Liriano.
Posey or Strasburg likely get picked up by somebody with a weak 5th or 6th keeper.
In a 10 team league, there should be better options then Liriano.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions