Is my team a winner or loser??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Is my team a winner or loser???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is my team a winner or loser???

Postby softballjenny » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:47 pm

Just had this team drafted... I'm still relitively new at this. Where are my weak spots? Tell me what you think & if any of the guys on the waiver wire are worth picking up? -- This is a rotiserre league. The stat categories are R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP!

CURRENT TEAM
C- Lieverthal
1B - R. Palmeiro
2B - A. Soriano
3B - S. Rolen
SS - A Cintron
OF - V. Guerrero
OF - J. Edmonds
OF - S. Green
UTL - M. Lowell
Bench - T. Salmon
Bench - C. Floyd
Bench - E. Durazo

SP - K. Millwood
SP - K. Wells
RP - J. Smoltz
RP - T. Worrell
P - F. Garcia
P - G. Mota
P - B. Looper
Bench - J. Peavy
Bench - K. Ishii

BATTERS AVAILABLE:
M. Ensberg
A. Dunn
M. Bradley
V. Castilla
A. Boone
J. Gerut
L. Matos
F. Catallanatto

PITCHERS AVAILABLE:
P. Quantrill
C. Reitsma
B. Tomko
A. Eaton
C. Bradford
O. Villarreal
T. Redding
J. Seo
H. Ramirez
D. Kolb
The hitter asks the owner to give him a big raise so he can go somewhere he's never been, and the owner says "You mean third base?"
-Henny Youngman-
softballjenny
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes - You Betcha - "Minnesota"

Re: Is my team a winner or loser???

Postby drocto » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:05 am

Right now this team is a loser... that doesn't mean it can't be a winner because you have some tools to work with.

Firstly, you have 2 1B and though either could be pretty good, neither is an anchor... I'd either drop one or try to look for a trade. I see your bench and your relief pitching as your weaknesses.

I'd retool the bench entirely (though I'm not sure I wouldn't keep Erubiel Durazo in the lineup and dump an aging Raffy...?): you want to pick up guys with the potential to do great things who aren't so highly touted. I'd get Ensberg or Castilla NOW. That's about feel... you know what Castilla can do, but he'll be doing it in Colorado; we know what Ensberg did last year, but will the pressure to reproduce it be too much this year? I like Dunn instead of Salmon or Floyd... maybe you want to pick up another prospect-type, too, because I'm not crazy about either of them.

Also, your relief pitching, though it will help your ERA an WHIP by the end of the season, isn't the greatest. I'd be looking to drop Mota or Worrell (no saves) and pick up a starter. Adam Eaton looks good to me. Either that or you want to punt Saves entirely and get rid of Looper who, I think, will SUCK. If you decide to work for saves, pick up Kolb... he could hurt you in other categories, but your starters work a lot more innings and can help or hurt you a lot more in ERA, WHIP and Ks.

These decisions are, admittedly all about feel and in that vein, I suggest that you view this as a guideline and read the rest of the league and what they're trying to do before blindly following my advice.

Good luck!
"... gas prices are headed through the roof, everyone in the Middle East hates us, Toronto and Seattle are in last place -- happy 1978, everybody!." - Bill Scheft, Sports Illustrated, April 26, 2004
drocto
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team