Sniping Hosmer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Sniping Hosmer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sniping Hosmer

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:56 am

In my 5x5 H2H weekly matchup keeper, the following trade just went down between two other teams:

Hosmer: $5 and Span: $5 for Nolasco: $6 and Arencibia: $5

I want Hosmer, as he costs $5 in '12, $10 in '13, and $15 in '14. I think the guy with Hosmer got royally hosed, but I know the other owner will deal Hosmer for a fair price, so what should I offer? He doesn't want Rios or Dunn so forget about that. I offered Dunn/Cueto and Bumgarner/Dee Gordon. He hasn't checked those out but I would like to hear what you guys think is a good offer. Post your link I will help if I can.

Mine:

C: Montero
1B: Howard
2B: Kinsler
3B: Cuddyer
SS: Yunel
MI: Walker
CI: Aramis
OF: Braun
OF: Bruce
OF: Tabata
OF: Craig(oops, weekly!)
OF: Chris Young
UTIL: Ellsbury
BN: Rios
BN: Dunn
BN: Lawrie
BN: Dee Gordon

P: Felix
P: Verlander
P: Kimbrel
P: Santos
P: Chacin
P: Cueto
P: Bedard
P: Morrow
P: Gio
BN: BumGarner
DL: Wandy
DL: Beachy

His:

C: Napoli
1B: Youk
2B: Phillips
3B: Longoria
SS: Alexei
MI: Peralta
CI: Trumbo
OF: Kendrick
OF: Adam Jones
OF: Melky
OF: Pagan
UTIL: Willingham
BN: Ichiro
BN: Francouer
BN: Hosmer
BN: Span
DL: Mauer

P: Kershaw
P: Hamels
P: Cain
P: CJ Wilson
P: Street
P: Axford
P: Morton
P: Bud Norris
P: Arrieta
BN: Collmenter
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Sniping Hosmer

Postby ATLbraves » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:03 am

I think either of those trades you offered are pretty fair really, but the Bumgarner/Dee Gordon one is probably the best for him. Since he will be receiving two young prospects in return, both with lots of potential. If he doesnt have another 3B option maybe you could package Cuddyer in the trade somehow too.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=432866

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 325)

Postby jruffus1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:27 am

I Think he may consider the Bumgarner one, since Bumgarner has shown last season that he can be very effective.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)

Postby jasonpm311 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 am

Call me crazy, and this might seem like a lot, but, how about Bumgarner/Dunn? Dunn's been dropped in my 10-team league and my 12-team free league that isn't competitive. Is that too much?
jasonpm311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 am

jasonpm311 wrote:Call me crazy, and this might seem like a lot, but, how about Bumgarner/Dunn? Dunn's been dropped in my 10-team league and my 12-team free league that isn't competitive. Is that too much?

Not in my mind, but I don't think Dunn is carrying any value to the owner. I think adding Dunn is a negative in the deal as the other guy has mentioned many times to me that I should be dropping Dunn. He is not trying to trick me and pick him up either, he just understands that Dunn is crap. He would rather have just BumG than BumG+Dunn.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MaudDib » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 am

I think this is one of those cases where you will have to overpay to get him. Hosmer has been very solid so far and most owners are drooling over the prospect of keeping him. This might sound crazy and would probably depend on dollar values but I would trade Howard for Hosmer. Howard is on the downside of his career and I would be fine parting with him for a future stud 1b which Hosmer is looking like.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby jpbusta » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:22 am

MaudDib wrote:I think this is one of those cases where you will have to overpay to get him. Hosmer has been very solid so far and most owners are drooling over the prospect of keeping him. This might sound crazy and would probably depend on dollar values but I would trade Howard for Hosmer. Howard is on the downside of his career and I would be fine parting with him for a future stud 1b which Hosmer is looking like.

I actually agree with this. I had Howard and traded him away about two weeks ago cuz I think his numbers will decline from here on out.

However, Howard for Hosmer doesn't seem right. I don't play keeper leagues so I'm not sure about players' value differences but you should be able to get more than just Hosmer I believe.

If you're a believer in Lawrie, you could also trade Kinsler for Hosmer+@. but like Howard, Kinsler's under-performing which makes it hard to get full value.

and Thanks for the help with mine. :-)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StealingHome » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:28 am

I think that Bumgarner/Gordon is fair. Dunn's value is as low as it is going to get right now. If he was dropped in my keeper league and I could find a spot to spare, I would have no prolem stashing him.
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby dannahann » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 am

It's nearly impossible to answer this without knowing how much it would cost to keep any of your current players. Say Braun was $45; I wouldn't trade a $5 Hosmer to acquire that. In any event it will probably take some of your most desirable low cost keepers to get a sniff. There was a thread a day or two gauging Hoss's worth in a dynasty and some of us were squarely on board with not trading Hosmer for Hanson in that scenario. Is Bumgarner also a $5 keep? If so he'd be a good starting point but it would still likely take a sexier keep than Dee Gordon to get this done.

We do tons of trading in our roto keeper league. Just considering other 1B, Pujols has moved 4 times so far this year, Miggy 3X, Votto has been traded, A-Gonz twice, Fielder, Howard 4X etc... Hosmer was drafted early but has yet to be traded so I can't give a definitive comp. Some of my recent Hosmer offers that were rejected might help though. Braun for Cutch + Hoss, CJ Wilson + Des Jennings for Hoss, Utley + Des Jennings for Hoss + Polanco. and Pineda for Hoss. I'm sure most other owners also offered on him but I only know the offers I made that were rejected. Young studs are cheaper to keep in our league too so they typically draw big payouts.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 223)

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:12 am

Montero/Cuddyer/Yunel/Tabata/Craig/Lawrie/Gordon/Kimbrel/Santos/Chacin/Bedard/Gio/Beachy are all on the same payscale as Hosmer- $5/$10/$15

Bumgarner is $7/$10/$15

Howard is $30/$36/$43

Kinsler is $20/$24/$29

Aramis/Walker/Chris Young/Cueto/Morrow are all $8/$10/$15

Dunn is $25/$30/$36 and Rios $20/$24/$29

Bruce is $17/$20/$24

Braun/Felix/Verlander/Ellsbury I won't even consider.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions