Oswalt/Dunn for Konerko/Fukudome? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Oswalt/Dunn for Konerko/Fukudome? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oswalt/Dunn for Konerko/Fukudome? WHIR

Postby exm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:03 pm

I traded for Cliff Lee last week to seriously improve my pitching staff, where Lee and Hanson are my staff aces but I need to do something about batting since most of my batters are seriously under performing (yes, I have Dunn/Rios/McGehee/Markakis). Also, Oswalt is not his old 'self' since his injury so I proposed to trade my Oswalt and Dunn for Konerko/Fukudome. Fuku will mostly be a replacement at RF. Not great, but good enough, and Dunn I almost dropped a few times. Which basically in my mind is a trade of Oswalt for Konerko. I could be on the wrong side of this trade if both Oswalt and Dunn are stepping it up, but I need production now.

What are your thoughts on this trade? As usual, WHIR.

Here's my team:

Batters:
C Víctor Martínez
1B Eric Hosmer
2B Robinson Canó
3B Casey McGehee (Ryan Zimmerman DL)
SS Jimmy Rollins
LF Jose Tabata
CF Chris Young
RF Nick Markakis
Util Any of the BN people below based on match-ups

BN
Allen Craig (2B, LF, RF)
Álex Ríos (CF)
Adam Dunn (1B)
Melky Cabrera (CF, LF, RF)
Jason Bartlett (SS)

Pitchers:
RP José Valverde (S)
RP Jordan Walden (S)
RP Mark Melancon (S)
RP Javy Guerra (S)
RP Ramón Ramírez (H)
RP Matt Lindstrom (H)
P Roy Oswalt
P Cliff Lee
P Tommy Hanson
P Jhoulys Chacin
P Brandon Morrow
P Erik Bedard
DL Brandon Beachy
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oswalt/Dunn for Konerko/Fukudome? WHIR

Postby jruffus1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:08 pm

You can get Fukudome-type players on the WW and I would not give Oswalt/Dunn for Konerko who is also injury prone and aging.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 68)

Postby dannahann » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't like the trade. I own dunn too so I feel your pain but now isn't the time to throw him away. You endured the worst and he will start hitting HR at some point. I've owned him for years, he always does. Despite his label of being so consistent, the HR always come in bunches though. He might hit 10 HR in the week you trade him. Oswalt should pretty much get you Konerko by himself if you feel the need to bench Dunn until he heats up. Just beware Dunn can have a 3HR game off any pitcher in any park, even if he's 0-20 lifetime off the guy. He's 'dunn' it to me when I was 'smart enough' to bench him in the past. Also I expect he'll do better as he sees some of these AL arms for the 2nd and 3rd times and adjusts to DH a bit more.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby exm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks so far for your replies. Here are my thoughts:
- Fukudome is a throw-in, agreed
- Dunn is in a funk and every week I think he'll snap out of it, but he doesn't. I think he's (still?) hurt
- Oswalt is scaring me. His lack of velocity and Ks after his latest DL stink indicates something might be up with him.
- I need some serious batting numbers; fast. I can't afford to have half my team sucking.
- The owner does not want to trade Konerko for any other trade and all other owners are not interested in Dunn/Oswalt or are offering a lot less than Konerko.

So my gamble is... Are Dunn/Oswalt healthy and will they perform at 2010 level any time soon? Will Konerko stay healthy? My hope is that Rios or McGehee will pick it up so I can flip one/both of them for another mid to top starter.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dannahann » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm concerned about Dunn too. Not his health but his commitment. Dunn is on record as saying he's looking forward to retiring earlier rather than later, a strange thing for a professional athlete to even consider. He got paid handsomely and from the looks of him lately he doesn't mind sharing his new wealth with Chicago restaurant owners. That said I still think you'd be overpaying for Konerko, But if you really want to deal these guys, and that's the best you can get, I can't fault you for taking it. I normally say I hope it all pans out for you but in this case I can't; I'm stuck with the big donkey, myself :-o
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby jruffus1 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:35 pm

I also own Oswalt and am also concerned about his health, but that doesn't mean I'd basically toss him at other teams for nothing in return. I do think he is still battling a back injury, but I'd rather have a 70% Oswalt than package him and Dunn (who hit over 35 homers last season) for Konerko.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 68)

Postby exm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks again. I will WHIR shortly. This is a really TOUGH call. If Dunn keeps on underperforming and something is up with Oswalt then I'm really toast, but who know... Maybe after the allstar break Dunn/Oswalt will pick it up.

Let me ask it this way to everyone who's so kind to help me... What are your projections for Konerko? He seems to be on a 40hr+/110rbi+ pace. Can he keep it up? Think for a second what will happen if Dunn actually starts to produce and Dunn will hit behind Konerko?

In regards to Oswalt... He has not/hardly helped me in 6 starts with wins, qs, k. Only with ERA and WHIP but that isn't even something great. Maybe I'm pulling the plug too early on him...
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby whitheadsuxs » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:00 pm

i like the deal but why not get back a pitcher worth less than oswalt
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dmattingly23 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:31 pm

don't do it.

Oswalt should be back once his back/arm strength get back to normal. He was fine before the DL.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ATLbraves » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 pm

yeah you are not getting enough in return, dont do this trade.
Zimmerman is coming back very soon and when Dunn turns it around your offense will be infinitely better.

help with mine please:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=432866

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions