Need some help on Head to Head drafting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need some help on Head to Head drafting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need some help on Head to Head drafting

Postby aberry33 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:33 pm

I've got a head to head draft coming up this weekend. I've got the #4 pick which I really don't like, but nobody wants to trade picks. Do any of you guys know any links or sites that have held mock drafts for Head to Head leagues? All the leagues i've seen have been for ROTO leagues. Or maybe just throw in your advice for the #4 pick. Assuming Arod, RJ and Bonds are gone I was thinking....

Piazza
Soriano
Kent
Vlad
Pujols (not sure if he is eligible at 3rd though in our league)

I like getting the studs at the weak positions
aberry33
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 3Ks » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:40 pm

Piazza- may be a good choice since then you'll have a strong catcher while others will suck off there.
Soriano- excellent choice for 4th draft
Kent-no way at 4th pick but is the 2nd best 2nd baseman
Vlad-excellent choice
Pujols (not sure if he is eligible at 3rd though in our league)-another excellent choice and should count for 3rd base.

Also consider Manny Ramirez. Check reports on his health this spring though since he usually is DL'd at least once during the season.

Or, Sosa since he should get even more RBI's this year. The Cubs look better this year, but then again that's been said in countless March's of the past.
3Ks

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby davegod2 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:42 pm

Number 4 is way too early to take Jeff Kent or Mike Piazza. If Vlad is available (which I doubt), I would take him. Assuming Vlad and Arod are gone, I would probably take either RJ or Soriano, whoever drops to you. You can't go wrong either way....
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby aberry33 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:49 pm

Yeah I would most likely take Soriano before Kent, it's just that K's count as -1 and I know Soriano likes to get up there and hack away. I took Piazza at 6th last year. I would love to have him considering how bad the Catcher position is and I know he will not still be available when my pick comes around in the 2nd round. My only thinking on that was that maybe I could get Piazza #1 and then Kent #2. That would be two solid players at two weak positions. And Bonds is just as tempting as Vlad to me due to the K's and the fact that he hardly ever strikes out. I have no idea what to do....
aberry33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davegod2 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:55 pm

Just my opinion, but I think in the first 3 rounds you should draft the best available player, and not worry so much about positional scarcity.
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby aberry33 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:02 pm

I'm torn between those two strategies. Last year I went with the positional strategy and ended up doing fairly well, I lost in our championship game. I would love to have something like Vlad, Helton, etc... for my first 3 picks, but then when it comes to mid-late rounds i've got nothing but crap to choose from to try and fill SS, C, 3B, 2B. Last year I loaded up on my infield early and still ended up with Beltran, G. Anderson and S. Green as my outfielders. I just don't think i'm going to be able to pull it off again though. So you say just go with the big stud in round 1 and 2 then?
aberry33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davegod2 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:22 pm

Yes, I'm not saying positional scarcity is not important, it is. But it is not so important that you should pass up a player of Vlad or Bonds' caliber simply because he plays a deep position, draft-wise. You have to draft the best player available with positional scarcity in mind, but you can't make all of your decisions based on this one strategy alone. You will potentially miss out on some great players trying to fill a weak position, when you could have gotten the great player and a slightly weaker player at the other position. In the first three rounds, when in doubt, take the stud, not the best player at a weak position (unless of course that player happen to be ARod or Soriano, then you get the stud and the best player at the same time).
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 3Ks » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:40 pm

As for the two strategies, picking the best fantasy player available in the first few rounds is surely more important than thinking about filling positions in those rounds. If you used the position strategy and did well last year, great, but you probably just got lucky.
3Ks

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby aberry33 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:01 pm

What about Pujols if he is eligible at 3B? Not only is his position weak, but he puts up monster numbers there.
aberry33
College Coach
College Coach

Postby davegod2 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:04 pm

aberry33 wrote:What about Pujols if he is eligible at 3B? Not only is his position weak, but he puts up monster numbers there.

Pujols is not bad, but that may be a little early for him. The reason I would take Soriano over Pujols is because he is a 5-category hitter (he gets a lot of SB) and Pujols is only a 4 (no SB).
davegod2
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers