Punt... WINS? hear me out... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Punt... WINS? hear me out...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punt... WINS? hear me out...

Postby dans2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:06 pm

May sound silly,.. but I’m currently #1 in Wins and Saves.. but 2nd to last in Wins.. and 4th to last in ERA and WHIP… Should I add quality RP and lower my ERA and WHIP.. I could go up much higher in ERA And WHIP, but only drop 1 spot in Wins. It’s a 5x5 ROTO YAHOO.. and I’m only not running away with the league BECAUSE of my pitching in those 3 cats (W, ERA, WHIP) I lead in K’s and SV.

My Staff: Lincecum, Kershaw, Nolasco Lilly, Colon, Morrow, Dempster.
RP: Marmol, Kimbrel, Walden, Axford, Crow..

I figure if I trade Nolasco plus Walden I could get a a much better closer.. and pick up RP like Mike Adams and other quality High K low ERA guys, do lower my ERA and WHIP and gain ground… I can only drop 1 spot in wins, so just a strategic thought…
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Punt... WINS? hear me out...

Postby dans2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:52 pm

No thoughts?
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:04 pm

dans2 wrote:Should I add quality RP and lower my ERA and WHIP.

This is a dangerous proposition. The number of "quality" RP's who will post good ratios is fairly low, and you risk the damage done by a single blow-up because you don't have enough innings to keep things in check.

You also run the risk of closers losing their jobs, which happens much more often than starters being demoted. This year, it's even worse, what with all the CBC's.

That said, if you're not in a money league, go for it! It's a game, why not try a novel strategy and see how it pans out? :-B
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby dans2 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:11 pm

It is money.. I was thinking people like Romo, Clippard, Crow, Gregerson, Maybe Mike Adams.. Maybe Venters if I can get him. There not necesariliy closers, just middle relief... I'm open to all opinions though
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KaPluie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:08 pm

I've actually been considering something similar.
My league's scorring system is 6x6 with the P categories being Ws, Ks, QSs, ERA, WHIP, and Saves
I'm currently near last in the league in WHIP, ERA, Ws and QSs, mostly because I ended up with Liriano, Hughes, J. De La Rosa, and Brett Anderson on my team, and 3/4 are currently on the DL (2 to likely Tommy Johns surgury) and Liriano is still working on getting back to normal, while my offense is in the top 25% in the league. I was thinking that I might be better off keeping my big-gun pitchers (Hamels, Anibal Sanchez, maybe Liriano if he gets back to form, maybe Cueto) and dropping all my other random SPs to pick up all RPs with good k/9 numbers ratios and saves. This would essentially punt Ws and QSs (though I'd still have a few SPs to give me a chance if the other guy's team has a bad week), give me saves pretty easily, and make me much more competitive on ERA and WHIP. I'd likely take a hit in Ks, but I expect to still be competitive against teams with weak Ks. I'd be looking at losing Ks, QS, and Ws most weeks, while hopefully winning ERA, WHIP, and Saves most weeks. Since I usually win more than 50% of the offensive categories each week, I might become more competitive (I currently sit 6th out of 12 teams)

I'd be able to build a pitching staff that looks like this, from the Wire/with what I already have (I've also included the ERA and WHIP numbers so far this season)

SP - Cole Hamels 2.83 ERA/0.97 WHIP
SP - Anibal Sanchez 2.97/1.16
RP - Jonathan Papelbon (closer) 4.34/1.20
RP - Jose Valverde (closer) 3.00/1.22
P - Aaron Crow (setup man) 1.52/1.04
P - Sergio Santos (closer) 1.24/0.93
P - Matt Capps (closer) 4.33/0.89
Bench - Johnny Cueto 2.27/1.06
Bench - Francisco Liriano don't want to talk about his stats
Bench - Tyler Clippard (middleman) 2.08/0.92

I think I might be a more competitive team overall, given my lack of luck with the SPs I started with, after structuring my team this way. What do you think?
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:24 pm

You go and you do this and it sounds great in your head and you feel sneaky smart and pick up a guy like Al Albaqurque (on the advice of the jerk aquaman :-b ), who has been lights out as lights out can get, then he goes and gives up eight hundred fifty seven home runs in one inning. Now your era is higher than a sherpa on acid and you have 1k and a loss to show for it. Not too smart for a smart guy like yourself (myself).

It's the sirens call and sometimes the kiss of death, my friend. I'd stick with streaming pitchers against the Padres and Twins.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby whitheadsuxs » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:07 am

first of all urbanbreez is hilarious

and i say anythings worth a shot but really do the research on this plan i mean plan for september 7th-28th (playoffs)
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:15 am

I never punt anything.
You can't chase wins.
Look at this way, look how many points you can grab just moving up some in wins.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby dans2 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:23 am

Moving up in wins? i can grab 8 additional (if I move to number 1) with ERA and WHIP I can grab 12 if i move to 1st.
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KaPluie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:32 am

I think if you are near the bottom of the league in pitching, this is a way to get you more in the middle of the pack. If you are ranked above ~the middle of your league, I think this hurts your team.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions