If Beltran gets traded.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If Beltran gets traded....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

If Beltran gets traded....

Postby nsulham » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:32 pm

Just reading an article over at TSN about possible suitors for Beltran. This one, along with other bits and pieces I've read, have the smart money on him going to Texas. Just wondering what you all think this would do to his value and/or his projections? I would think moving into Texas' lineup and that ballpark would spike his value significantly as well as his numbers (I have both he AND Arod and I'm drooling at the thought of them together), whereas if he were dealt to Baltimore (bad, bad team) or the Mets (Shea :-P ) his value would decline some. What do you guys think?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cardboardbox » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:06 pm

the royals' stadium is even more of an offense happy place than arlington and he hits in the middle of the lineup. I doubt that his stats would increase if he were traded to texas.
cardboardbox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:10 pm

Beltran is another guy who is going way too early in most drafts. I traded for him last year and yeah, he producued. Luckily he was gone by the time I picked in the 2nd round. I started grabbing OF in the 3rd (Giles) and still got a better OF than the guy with Beltran.

Unless he goes to the Rockies, his numbers go down.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

hey

Postby Deegan » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:51 pm

must we forget that Beltran is only 25...guy has alot of game left and has not reached full potential.
Deegan

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby molebdynum » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:55 pm

You fail to see the potential.. Beltran is a 5 tool player. Unless he goes to the Rockies he'll produce more??? He's young, he steals at will and will only get better. Remeber who he plays with, the Royals. Other than Sweeney who else do they have. Raul Ibanez gimme a break. Let see Beltran batting in the middle of an AROD-JuanGone sandwich seems pretty lethal. Who knows he might just go to Oakland or NY.
molebdynum
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:08 pm

I'm not saying he sucks. I thought he was undervalued last year, and I traded for him. It and a couple other moves paid off well.

I'm not going to take him in the first 15 picks like he is going in a lot of drafts this year. Outside of Vlad/Bonds/Sosa I wouldn't take an OF in the first round (12 team). Maggs is right there, but after that I'll wait on OF. I'd Take a Berkman if he fell to say, pick 20, but probably not Beltran. I could wait and get an Abreu/Giles even later in most drafts, and I'll take 'em later over Beltran.

He's a good player, and I know how old he is. I did my homework last year. I'm just saying he is going a bit high, and I'm letting others burn that early 2nd rounder this year.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:13 pm

molebdynum wrote:You fail to see the potential.. Beltran is a 5 tool player. Unless he goes to the Rockies he'll produce more??? He's young, he steals at will and will only get better. Remeber who he plays with, the Royals. Other than Sweeney who else do they have. Raul Ibanez gimme a break. Let see Beltran batting in the middle of an AROD-JuanGone sandwich seems pretty lethal. Who knows he might just go to Oakland or NY.

Beltran is at pre-peak, a 5 tool guy, whos only should get better. However, a trade likely decreases his numbers, unless his peak years can overcome the park factors. Park factors are way more relevent then lineup factors. I like Beltran, but go check his 3 year home/road splits.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby silentmist » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:49 pm

is he not an import? couldnt he be 30? =p
silentmist

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby gogiants » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:39 am

I think Hootie got it right.

He does play in one of the best offesive parks in the game, so almost anywhere he goes, he takes somewhat of a hit. Lineup factors will help overcome some of this, and I think if he ends up in Texas, he should be at least as good as he is i K.C. although he won't be running as much in that lineup. Overall, I think he should be going round 3-4, not late 1-2 as I have seen and heard.
"Walk Softly and carry a Big Stick"

-Theodore Roosevelt
gogiants
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevelabny » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:53 am

once again. i'll rate the outfielders
1. vlad
2. beltran
but youve all seen it all before.

beltran was a very immature player mentally until last season, i wouldnt be surprised to see his road numbers go up.
and since u have the home/road numbers for beltran, id love to see them for the rest of the royals lineup too?
i bet theyre awful across the board, once again bringing into question just how much more impact the ballpark has than the lineup. but thats just speculation on my part.

if he were to stay in kc this year, a CONSERVATIVE estimate would be 35-35. worrying about a trade that isnt even necessarily gonna happen is pointless.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers