Dee Gordon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dee Gordon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dee Gordon

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:28 pm

kab21 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:this guy has been great so far!
what happens when Furcal comes back? can the Dodgers go back to Furcal as the regular SS?
as a Dee owner if the Dodgers plan on reinserting Furcal back at SS costing Brown playing time then I'd like to trade him now while he is hot.

Trade him.

The key word is right now. He has a .417 BAPIP and has hit one extra base hit.

I don't think anyone owns him for his extra base hits. I'd rather see him hit all singles and steal 2nd. I think his value is mostly in SB.
I'm in a deep league where I only use him at MI, but I need the SB. I am though thinking about trading him and maybe picking up Alcides Escobar who is also hitting and stealing.

I do think that if Gordon is still hitting once Furcal returns that the Dodgers would have to keep playing him, maybe one of them move over to 2B.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:39 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:I don't think anyone owns him for his extra base hits. I'd rather see him hit all singles and steal 2nd. I think his value is mostly in SB.
I'm in a deep league where I only use him at MI, but I need the SB. I am though thinking about trading him and maybe picking up Alcides Escobar who is also hitting and stealing.

I do think that if Gordon is still hitting once Furcal returns that the Dodgers would have to keep playing him, maybe one of them move over to 2B.

The issue is that once that BAPIP goes down he'll be a .260's hitter like Andrus. No extra base hits combined with no walks = a terrible offensive player that doesn't keep an MLB roster spot. And I'm pretty certain that he's nowhere close to Andrus defensively. It should be noted that I don't know much about Gordon defensively. I'm guessing that he's pretty solid but Andrus is great defensively.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:56 pm

his BABIP will likely come down from where it's at now, but I don't think it's going to drop drastically.
he has had relatively high BABIP through the minors.
2008- .363
2009- .355
2010- .323
2011- .364

he has also had decent BB rate in the minors.
2008- 5.8
2009- 7.2
2010- 6.5
2011- 6.4

I don't think he ends up in the .260's. he has also had a good AVG in the minors.
2008- .331
2009- .301
2010- .276
2011- .315

even if/when the BABIP comes down I still think he could be at least in the .280's.

I too don't know that much about him defensively, but I think I remember reading on twitter while he has been up that he has been playing great defense.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:37 pm

You can see it however you want but MLB BAPIP's are usually lower than in the minors and a 6% BB rate is somewhat lousy. This years midseason Bonifacio imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 pm

BABIP can also be different for different types of players. players like Gordon generally have a higher BABIP because they can reach 1st safe on balls put in play more than other players who are not as fast.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kaiser » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 pm

kab21 wrote: This years midseason Bonifacio imo.

Could very well be so. But I need to gain some ground in the SB cat, so I'm going to ride him and Charlie Blackmon for a week or two and see what I get.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 pm

I also don't think Bonifacio was ever the same level of prospect of Gordon. Gordon is one of the Dodgers top prospects. I think Andrus is a good comparison. even if he would hit .260-.270 he is still someone who has a future and who they should be playing. I think it would take a big slump and to show that he isn't ready for the majors to be sent back down to the minors.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:06 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:BABIP can also be different for different types of players. players like Gordon generally have a higher BABIP because they can reach 1st safe on balls put in play more than other players who are not as fast.

Another component of BAPIP is hitting the ball hard. Gordon doesn't. And expecting any player to exceed a .350 BAPIP (multiple seasons) is extremely rare.

But like I said you can see it however you want.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I don't know how Gordon did in hitting the ball in the minors, but he does currently have 23.8 LD%.
the K rate isn't that good though at 22.6%.
I'm not saying he will continue to hit this well, but I highly doubt he falls off enough to where people who own him will drop him like garbage. his number 1 value is speed, so even if he gets on base at an average rate he can still steal 2nd and be very valuable. he could be Michael Bourn from 2008 when he had .229 AVG and had 41 SB and still be valuable. especially in a deep league that uses MI.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:15 pm

how would you guys compare Gordon to Ian Desmond?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers