Massive dynasty league trade...how'd I do? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Massive dynasty league trade...how'd I do? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Massive dynasty league trade...how'd I do? WHIR

Postby hambone1818 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:13 pm

12 team, roto, 5x5 (traditional cats), dynasty league; the rules are hard to explain but here's the deal: I have a ton of guys coming off the DL / in the minors who'll get a callup soon (Mauer, H. Bailey, Beachy, Nishioka, Jennings, Ackley, Moustakas), and I'm a bit behind the 8-ball offensively because of a slow start and injuries. So, onto the trade, and below is my roster:

MY Moustakas (will be $5 the next 2 seasons, then can be extended), Ethier ($12 through 2013), Hellickson ($5 this season, can be extended in offseason) FOR
HIS Teixeira and Sabathia (both expiring contracts, so I outright lose them this offseason)

C R. Hernandez, C. Ruiz
1B K. Youkilis
2B K. Johnson
3B M. Reynolds
SS T. Tulowitzki
MI R. Theriot
CI M. Young
OF J. Bruce, C. Granderson, R. Davis, S. Victorino, D. Brown
UTIL M. Teixeria

P A. Bailey, D. Storen, J. Axford, C. Kershaw, CC Sabathia, U. Jimenez, S. Marcum, R. Nolasco, J. Peavy, J. Danks

Injuries/minors:
J. Mauer, T. Nishioka, D. Ackley, D. Jennings, B. Harper
H. Bailey, B. Beachy, S. Miller

I think the offense is now stellar, and while the pitching staff has some holes (Danks, plus Peavy is headed for the DL) it's a good staff and the injured guys should allow me to stay top-5 in all those cats.

Thoughts?
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Massive dynasty league trade...how'd I do? WHIR

Postby ahcryky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:20 pm

That looks like more of a trade for this year. Not too sure I would have given up that talent in a dynasty, especially for what it would cost. So basically you traded away keepers for players that are rentals for this year. I personally wouldn't have done it.
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hambone1818 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:26 pm

ahcryky wrote:That looks like more of a trade for this year. Not too sure I would have given up that talent in a dynasty, especially for what it would cost. So basically you traded away keepers for players that are rentals for this year. I personally wouldn't have done it.

Fair enough. There's decent money in this league so sacrificing some long-term value to win the league can actually result in a decent chunk of change. In addition, I'm pretty happy with the slew of young and/or cheap options already on the team (Jennings, Ackley, Brown, Beachy, Marcum, Kelly Johnson, H. Bailey, Harper and Shelby Miller are all $5 or less and will be on the team for at least 2+ more seasons). But that was the biggest concern, it's a lot of future value to be giving up for talent I'll only have for a year.
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 pm

hambone1818 wrote:
ahcryky wrote:That looks like more of a trade for this year. Not too sure I would have given up that talent in a dynasty, especially for what it would cost. So basically you traded away keepers for players that are rentals for this year. I personally wouldn't have done it.

Fair enough. There's decent money in this league so sacrificing some long-term value to win the league can actually result in a decent chunk of change. In addition, I'm pretty happy with the slew of young and/or cheap options already on the team (Jennings, Ackley, Brown, Beachy, Marcum, Kelly Johnson, H. Bailey, Harper and Shelby Miller are all $5 or less and will be on the team for at least 2+ more seasons). But that was the biggest concern, it's a lot of future value to be giving up for talent I'll only have for a year.

Yeah you definitely still have some keepers. If you are in good position to win the league, and this trade was to help solidify your chances in the playoffs then I think it was a pretty good move. You got two elite players that should be very valuable the rest of the season, especially during the fantasy playoffs.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rjforlife » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:42 pm

I like the move. The motto in keepers is "play to win this season", and you have done that to a T. Well done, and you still have some good young talent there.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=432652
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby ahcryky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:02 pm

rjforlife wrote:I like the move. The motto in keepers is "play to win this season", and you have done that to a T. Well done, and you still have some good young talent there.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=432652

So in non-keepers the motto is "play not to win the season"............
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:07 pm

ahcryky wrote:
rjforlife wrote:I like the move. The motto in keepers is "play to win this season", and you have done that to a T. Well done, and you still have some good young talent there.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=432652

So in non-keepers the motto is "play not to win the season"............

No, it's implied in non-keepers to try to win that season. In keepers that ideal is often forgotten or made secondary.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby sigriffey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:08 pm

It's very steep as far as the keepers are concerned, but you can't argue with the value of the guys you got for this year. Maybe consider shipping one of them for a comparable player you can keep. But decent move overall.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions