Axford, Street, or Valverde? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Axford, Street, or Valverde? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Axford, Street, or Valverde? WHIR

Postby WhiteSoxFan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:05 pm

I currently have Huston Street and Jose Valverde as my RPs. Axford is a free agent and has rattled off four straight very impressive weeks. Huston Street has basically stopped getting save opportunities and Valverde has been a little erratic. Would you drop either one of them for Axford or is it not worth it?

Thanks!

Roster:

C-Santana
1B-Lind
2B-Cano
3B-Longoria
SS-Rollins
OF-Cruz
OF-Stanton
OF-Joyce
U-Quentin

BN-Zimmerman, Hosmer, Berkman

SP-Ubaldo
SP-Pineda
SP-Garcia
SP-CJ Wilson
SP-Hanson
SP-Billingsley
SP-Matusz
RP-Street
RP-Valverde
WhiteSoxFan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Axford, Street, or Valverde? WHIR

Postby CyboNinja » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:15 pm

DO NOT DROP Valverde! As erratic as he can be he still gets a lot of saves and rarely blows his opportunities.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 96)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Axford for Matusz.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby theblemishedone » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:34 pm

Axford>Valverde>Street

Or what HOOTIE said.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WhiteSoxFan » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone...

I just picked up Matusz so I want to ride him out this week and assess how he does. Plus, I'm not really excited about owning three RPs--just seems like a colossal waste of bench space. I can go a few more days scoping out the situation or I can drop Street I guess. I do feel like if I drop Street someone in my league will pounce on him once he hits the waiver wire.
WhiteSoxFan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby theblemishedone » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:06 pm

I like Matusz for you because he is a 2-start this week. It will give you a better gauge as to how he might perform.

WhiteSoxFan wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone...

I just picked up Matusz so I want to ride him out this week and assess how he does. Plus, I'm not really excited about owning three RPs--just seems like a colossal waste of bench space. I can go a few more days scoping out the situation or I can drop Street I guess. I do feel like if I drop Street someone in my league will pounce on him once he hits the waiver wire.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:10 pm

yeah, matusz is the drop to make here... basically, ESPECIALLY IN ROTO, you NEVER drop a closer who's doing his thing. you keep adding those saves adding those saves and then if you get to a comfortable place with a nice cushion where you won't lose points for awhile, then you trade to fill up other holes... but dropping a closer who's handling biz like valverde is ano-no, evne if it's for another closer like axfford.... axford is in year 2 of his expeirence, and with the brewers remember how unkind that 2nd year was to danny kolb and then derrick turnbow, so like, yeah.

matusz hasn't proved he's a sub-4 ERA pitcher yet, and even tho the orioles are improved, he's coming of an injury on top of coming up in the first place... yeah you figure he had his first-go-around last year and people saw him and this is the time where pitchers of his pedigree seem to get better and improve on all categories, you had an OK start last time (5IP 7H 1ER methinks) but since you're getting a closer who's doing pretty OK you live with it. see how axford does, get some saves, then DEAL a closer if you must.... if you're in a H2H league saves aren't as big of a deal, but you only have 2 closers and you have SP depth going forward, so i think you cut matusz for axford here... having three closers is the bare-minimum of closers i have at any time in any league, once again, especially in roto (although 3 is the BARE MINIMUM as i want 4+ in roto) and in h2h.

so yeah, go the matusz route... dropping a closer for another closer would be a lateral move, and that said valrverde has done more in MLB to prove he's a legit closer than has axford, so dropping valverde for axford would be giving up more of a sure thing for a lesser commodity.

check out mine, would ye?! viewtopic.php?f=26&t=432547
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions