Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Postby Bolthead04 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:10 pm

Could Joyce + Scherzer net a top teir pitcher?

If it's doable, I would free up a spot for Hosmer. I'm not sold on Joyce having a season of over 300 baseball. And, even if he does, being on the Rays will hurt his peripherals. Really, I just want to clear some roster space and question marks while they have value. (That and I don't want to have two SP's on the same team if I can avoid it...)

WHIR if you link me. :D

The league is 12 team H2H.

Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On Base Percent (OBP)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings

C - Brian McCann
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Kelly Johnson
3B - Mark Reynolds (Soon to be Lawrie)
SS - Alexi Ramirez
OF - Jason Werth
OF - Carlos Quentin
OF - Matt Joyce
Util - Colby Rasmus
BN - Angel Pagan
BN - Nick Swisher
BN - Soon to be Hosmer/Morse
DL - Ryan Zimmerman

SP - Shaun Marcum
SP - Matt Cain
RP - Francisco Cordero
RP - Ryan Madson
P - John Axford
P - Justin Verlander
P - Ricky Nolasco
BN - Jhoulys Chacin
BN - Mat Latos
BN - Max Scherzer
First Year-First Team

Rank: 1 of 12 (+/- 0)
Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 302
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Postby mhuhn23 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks for the help with mine! I definitely do think it would be possible to do. I think it can be done if you find the right manager who might be sold on Joyce as a solid everyday bat. Whether he will keep it up or not we'll see, but some pitchers I'd target with that pair of players would probably guys like Yovani Gallardo (although the buy low window has been slamming shut with his pitching lately), Ubaldo Jimenez (If you believe he can return to his 2010 form), Chris Carpenter, Chad Billingsley, etc. I think there is good return to be had for Joyce, you just have to find the right believer in him. On the other hand though, I could see Scherzer having a big 2nd half similar to last years, so keep that in mind also.
mhuhn23
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 223
Joined: 6 May 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Postby ahcryky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 am

Depends on other manager's team needs. I don't see why packaging those two couldn't get you a top guy.
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2084
Joined: 9 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Postby Bolthead04 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:04 am

ahcryky wrote:Depends on other manager's team needs. I don't see why packaging those two couldn't get you a top guy.


That's why I asked. I'm only in my first season of Fantasy, so I'm still learning values. My league is hard to trade in to begin with, so it helps to have other opinions.

Matt Joyce is ranked 19th overall in the Y! rankings, which is in it of itself a top player ranking. Therefore, a believer of Joyce can take a chance to give up a high end pitcher for Joyce + a mid range pitcher with a second half potential. If Joyce does continue, or if Scherzer produces, he could benefit. With pitchers worth less than batters to begin with, trading a SP for a bat + SP seems to be a sensible trade in terms of value to me. If I could find the right fit, it seems like it would be a good trade.

Or I could just be an idiot.



Like I said.... That's why I ask.

BTW, a lot of Rays fans in my league. Every Ray SP + Farnsworth has been rostered since day 1.
First Year-First Team

Rank: 1 of 12 (+/- 0)
Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 302
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Postby ahcryky » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:08 am

Bolthead04 wrote:
ahcryky wrote:Depends on other manager's team needs. I don't see why packaging those two couldn't get you a top guy.


That's why I asked. I'm only in my first season of Fantasy, so I'm still learning values. My league is hard to trade in to begin with, so it helps to have other opinions.

Matt Joyce is ranked 19th overall in the Y! rankings, which is in it of itself a top player ranking. Therefore, a believer of Joyce can take a chance to give up a high end pitcher for Joyce + a mid range pitcher with a second half potential. If Joyce does continue, or if Scherzer produces, he could benefit. With pitchers worth less than batters to begin with, trading a SP for a bat + SP seems to be a sensible trade in terms of value to me. If I could find the right fit, it seems like it would be a good trade.

Or I could just be an idiot.



Like I said.... That's why I ask.

BTW, a lot of Rays fans in my league. Every Ray SP + Farnsworth has been rostered since day 1.


Well, what's the biggest Rays fan in your league's roster?
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2084
Joined: 9 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Postby sigriffey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:24 am

I might shop those two for Hanson, Greinke, or even Lester off that bombing the other day (u never know if they'll bite).
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 6425
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Postby CyboNinja » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:10 pm

sigriffey wrote:I might shop those two for Hanson, Greinke, or even Lester off that bombing the other day (u never know if they'll bite).
I agree but I think you can do better. Sherzer is equal to those guys in a lot of circles. If you can't do better then go for a tier 2 guy like the ones sirgriffey mentioned.

Personally, I think you should give Joyce more of a shot. This is his first season with regular playing time and hes been great. We all know his average is due to come down with his BABIP at .388 but he has cut down on his SOs (20.1% vs 24.3% over his career) so that tells me that he is seeing the ball a lot better and his recent surge should not be considered a fluke. Will he bat .350 this season, I doubt if. I expect him to finish the year around .310-.315 with 25-30 HRs and 90-100 RBIs.
CyboNinja
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 581
(Past Year: 96)
Joined: 2 Jun 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Metro Detroit

Re: Joyce for pitching trade question. -- WHIR

Postby Bolthead04 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:36 pm

CyboNinja wrote:
sigriffey wrote:I might shop those two for Hanson, Greinke, or even Lester off that bombing the other day (u never know if they'll bite).
I agree but I think you can do better. Sherzer is equal to those guys in a lot of circles. If you can't do better then go for a tier 2 guy like the ones sirgriffey mentioned.

Personally, I think you should give Joyce more of a shot. This is his first season with regular playing time and hes been great. We all know his average is due to come down with his BABIP at .388 but he has cut down on his SOs (20.1% vs 24.3% over his career) so that tells me that he is seeing the ball a lot better and his recent surge should not be considered a fluke. Will he bat .350 this season, I doubt if. I expect him to finish the year around .310-.315 with 25-30 HRs and 90-100 RBIs.


I'm a Rays fan too, and I know Joyce will have a decent year. What I'm trying to do is get in line for the playoffs, and I would prefer to have solid producers on teams that will actually be in contention and trying. (Part of why I just traded away Pineda and Norris) The Rays have a poor offense, and that will hurt Joyce's peripheral stats. (R/RBI) It also isn't beyond Maddon to do idiotic things like bat Joyce 7th or play a career sub .200 hitter everyday on first. (Dan Johnson)

I like Joyce. I'm rooting for him. But, in a league with a lot of Tampa fans (No one bigger than any other really), I want to get some value for him and find a pitcher I'm more comfortable with. If I take all 5 pitching cats, I only need 1 batting cat to win in the playoffs, so my rotation has been a focus of mine. All that said, if I can't find significant value, I won't trade him just to trade him. I have players eyed on the WW that could fill in for a bat or arm without much dropoff, so I'm just trying to get better whenever and wherever I can.

:)
First Year-First Team

Rank: 1 of 12 (+/- 0)
Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 302
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact