drop justin masterson for josh collmenter? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

drop justin masterson for josh collmenter? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

drop justin masterson for josh collmenter? WHIR

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 pm

hello, in my 12 team 5x5 standard yahoo roto winners league i'm a bit thin on pitching from where i'd like to me (not having either or both pineda and ogando has been a killer thus far) and my ERA has ballooned up to 3.72, which is abysmal cuz i'm like 10+ points in every category except ERA, where i'm at 3.71/1.20 but there's a glut of people from 3.55-3.65, aka the scrum, and i like to be ahead of that. if i was circa 3.50 i'd be 10/12 in ERA (as there's 2 guys in the 2.90-3.00 range) and in fact i was there a couple'a weeks ago but some fantasy craptitude killed me and shot me back to 3.83, where i'm trying to work down. i'm a projected ~75 IP over the limit, however that's the thinking that has caused me to sit on a relatively-hot jordan zimmermann and miss his victory @ ari.

i've got SP: felix hernandez, david price, tommy hanson, justin masterson, jordan zimmermann, and brandon beachy (DL)

I caught jake arrieta's horrible start @was a week or so ago, and then masterson had a horrible outing, then marmol gave up 6ER in 0.1 IP, so i'm getting crushed... i'm starting to think that masterson is going to revert back to being a ~4.00/+ ERA pitcher with nice Ks, however, i need good stuff going forward...

and there's josh collmenter. he's #38 overall in 5x5 roto right now, and he's using that deceptive delivery to mask an ~89-90 FB and pretty OK stuff to look damn dominant as teams face him for the first time... but he's still sitting there tantalizing me, his next start is against pittsburgh, and i'm wondering if it's time to cut bait on masterson and roll the dice will collmenter for ahwile.

what do you lot think? is it worth it to hold on to masterson and give him another ~2-3 starts while i whittle down my projected IP over the limit and hope he comes back to form, or do you strike while hte iron is hot and grab collmenter and ride out this wave of !!!!! effectiveness while it's happening, then move on to the next guy when it's time (presuming that someone would take a flier on masterson) -- also, sometime this month beachy is prolly gonna come back and if he can do a couplke'a nice rehab starts and look like the beachy i saw b4 his crap game / oblique injury, there's a 5th starter going forward.

edit: people asked what my offense was so here's the whole team

c - brain mccann
1b - mark trumbo
2b - neil walker
ss - alexei ramirez
3b - jose bautista (i traded cain/lind to get him near the end of may, and even tho lind looks like 2009 lind despite the DL stint, you can't argue getting baubeasta)
OF - ryan braun
OF - vladimir guerrero (see the expos logo? he's my favorit eplayer and killing me with his lack of power... at least i'm not an aramis ramirez owner, eh?)
OF - rajai daivs
util/1B - eric hosmer (i had tapped trumbo to make up for ike davis' DL stint, then hosmer came available when someone cut him even after i offered masterson for him str8up in a trade... my win. tho overmanaging had me start around his 2HR 8RBI-combined 2 games last week =/)
util/OF - juan pierre (steals are hypercompetitive in my league... i'm at ~62 or something which is good for 11/12 as there's one crazy steals guy with like 84 or something, otherwise, whenever i start to pull away in 2nd place for steals,this guy has a 3SB game and catches right up)
bench/2B - brett lawrie (i recently dropped aviles to squat on him)
bench/1B - ike davis (i took him off the DL last week figuring he'd come back but nope. so beachy sits on the formal-DL spot until something happens)

SP - felix hernandez, tommy hanson, david price, justin masterson, jordan zimmermann, brandon beachy (DL)
RP - carlos marmol, sergio santos, jordan walden, matt capps, mark melancon

but what do you think? kindly post your link here and i'll get to it ASAP

# james
Last edited by sinicalypse on Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: drop justin masterson for josh collmenter? WHIR

Postby fierro33 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:10 pm

i think u should drop a hitter and just add collmenter to that staff...dont give up on masterson just yet

viewtopic.php?t=432542
fierro33
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 210)

Postby etl1692 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 pm

I would absolutely not drop Masterson. At Least give him a little time like you have said. Definitely probably drop a batter if you think Collmenter is necassary on your team. I wish I grabbed Collmenter before he got scooped!

viewtopic.php?t=432550
etl1692
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby ATLbraves » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:54 pm

yeah what is your roster?

Do you have a hitter you can just drop instead of Masterson?

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:54 pm

Keep Masterson, at least he has potential. I don't think Collmenter will be anything special at all, especially after he's been around the league a time or two.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:37 pm

usually i list my team as i babble my arse off, but i didn't do it here cuz i was talking just pitchers.. the problem is that i really dont want to drop any offensive players right now.

the inexplicably effective offense is as follows

c - brain mccann
1b - mark trumbo
2b - neil walker
ss - alexei ramirez
3b - jose bautista (i traded cain/lind to get him near the end of may, and even tho lind looks like 2009 lind despite the DL stint, you can't argue getting baubeasta)
OF - ryan braun
OF - vladimir guerrero (see the expos logo? he's my favorit eplayer and killing me with his lack of power... at least i'm not an aramis ramirez owner, eh?)
OF - rajai daivs
util/1B - eric hosmer (i had tapped trumbo to make up for ike davis' DL stint, then hosmer came available when someone cut him even after i offered masterson for him str8up in a trade... my win. tho overmanaging had me start around his 2HR 8RBI-combined 2 games last week =/)
util/OF - juan pierre (steals are hypercompetitive in my league... i'm at ~62 or something which is good for 11/12 as there's one crazy steals guy with like 84 or something, otherwise, whenever i start to pull away in 2nd place for steals,this guy has a 3SB game and catches right up)
bench/2B - brett lawrie (i recently dropped aviles to squat on him)
bench/1B - ike davis (i took him off the DL last week figuring he'd come back but nope. so beachy sits on the formal-DL spot until something happens)

SP - felix hernandez, tommy hanson, david price, justin masterson, jordan zimmermann, brandon beachy (DL)
RP - carlos marmol, sergio santos, jordan walden, matt capps, mark melancon

so yeah that's where i'm at... i think masterson is about out of hte circle of trust, but like, even tho i'm still a projected ~75IP over the limit, i recently got caught for the Ks lead and now i'm down to 8/12 points in wins because i haven't been winning a lot lately, and now i've gotta conserve some IP... for example, id idn't start zimmermann in his last start @ arizona and of course he goes 7IP 1ER 4K for the victory. arrrghhh)

so yeah any and all answers would be appreciated and leave your links there
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theblemishedone » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Crazy as this sounds, drop Capps.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ATLbraves » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:40 pm

theblemishedone wrote:Crazy as this sounds, drop Capps.

yeah either Melancon or Capps, neither of them are guaranteed to have the closer role the rest of the season.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:04 pm

really guys? with nathan on the DL and capps giving a couple'a scoreless innings lately, i'm not going to cut a closer... maybe i could entertain this thought later in the season, but having all of my closers come from crap teams, i'm going to try and ride 5/+ closers going forward. i didn't even rush to move on crow cuz i figure the royals are going to try and re-insert soria ASAP and like, i'm afraid to even cut juan pierre right now cuz if he gets back into a nice SB groove and steals bases at a clip that is reminiscient of last year's 68SB clip, well, having even a month of that is valuable cuz like i said steals are hypercompetitive and there's one other team that is pushing the 90 point barrier i've been holding down for the last ~2+ weeks (i've maxed out as high as 96 points, and i've had up to a ~12 point lead on some days) i'm just really afraid of losing SBs.... hell, it's to the point where i get neurotic with vlad cuz last week i got cutesy trying to start either hosmer OR trumbo and managed to miss a combined 3HR and ~10 RBI from them doing that. like, i play hosmer to the tune of 2/23 or something, bench him he hits a HR/4RBI that day. so i put him in place of trumbo, who goes yard on taht first day i don't start him... then i'm like, ok, i'm going back with hosmer the trumbo thing was dumb, and then hosmer goes 1/3 and trumbo goes yard. then i'm like SHAME ON ME, put trumbo back in, and hosmer goes off with a HR/4RBI once agian.

trust me, saves are competitive in this league and my stubborness likely cost me ~5-10 saves or something with not going the crow route (cuz then i woulda had 6 closers) but as it stands, if i can roll with 5 mediocre closers going forward (i downgrade marmol cuz he's been hittable lately and even b4 his meltdown the cubs weren't giving him many saveops...a nd he blew another today)

that and i'm hoping that houston comes to their senses and keeps melancon as the closer cuz like, yeah they're houston but he's pitching better than brandon lyon and seeing as melancon came over in the berkman trade to the yanks, they'll have him under control for a few years so look to your future and since melancon is in a nice groove, go with it. i think melancon has blown one save as the closer, and that was the day-off 2HR game for brian mccann hitting a solo shot in the 9th, and then a 2 run jack in the 11th to win it.

the juan pierre thing is just killing me... at least i had aviles to get rid of for lawrie, cuz if lawrie comes up and is as advertised then i could try to deal neil walker for pitching... but as it is, i need that remarkable averageness from neil walker to keep 2B afloat and stop myself from having a hole there.

any other ideas ppl? sorry to come off aloof, but trust me, i need to ride as many closers as i can right now and try to get some space between me and the guy behind me (it's like ~4 saves i think and the guy only has 3 closers, but they're doing better than mine) so if i can get up to like 2ncd place in saves and get a cushion where it'd take ~12 saves for me to drop off like 2 points in ssaves, with a real tight overall race where i'm going to be up like 1.5 points after tonight, i need to ride these saves.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BiGAnT » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:55 pm

I would honestly drop Lawrie even if you just picked him up...I understand all the hype and everything but I owuld scoop Collmenter now and address one of your needs and worry about Lawrie later...I always say this but you never know what to expect from prospects, so I say give Collmenter the spot. Thanks for the help on mine!
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions