Starting a Keeper league after this season. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Starting a Keeper league after this season.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting a Keeper league after this season.

Postby Hargy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:08 pm

I made a proposal to my league to turn the league into a keeper league after this year and the majority of them showed interest in the idea. All I'm wondering is a basic set up for such a league. Possibly even a 4 sport dynasty seeing as we all play baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. I'm thinking something along the lines of a H2H category based league. Depending on the amount of interest a 10-15 team league. 3-5 keepers. Is there generic set up that most leagues use or is it run the same way as a regular redraft league except you can keep a few players at the end of the year?
Hargy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Starting a Keeper league after this season.

Postby bigmck » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:51 pm

There are many different ways to do a Keeper League. Here is one of the more common methods. If you have a 23 man active roster, you would have on Auction Day $260 to bid with. Use the 23 and $260 because this is what the magazine's use and it will give you an easy reference for studying the players. I would suggest more than five players to keep. If you don't keep enough, it defeats the purpose of a Keeper League. We keep eleven in ours and there are still enough good players available on Auction Day to make things interesting. == Here is an example of how your Keepers would work. In the first year, 2012, everyone would bid on all 23 players using their entire $260. In the spring of 2013 everone would declare who they are keeping. Let's say your league decides to keep seven. You subtract the salary of your seven keepers from $260 and that is what each owner has to bid with to complete their roster for 2013. The Keepers would be in Year Two of their contracts and the players won in 2013 would be in Year One. == At the beginning of 2014 you once again declare your Keepers. Those Owners who have Keepers entering their third year will have to decide whether to extend the contracts or let the players play out their option. Let's say you have a player whose salary is $12. If you let him play out his option, his salary for 2014 will stay at $12 but at the end of the year, you must drop him and he goes back into the auction pool for 2015. == If you decide to extend his contract, it will cost you $5 for every year you extend it. If you decide to extend the $12 player for two years, his salary in 2014, 2015 and 2016 will be $22 because you extended it 2 years or $10 which is added to his $12. At the end of 2016, you must drop the player. This salary escalation is what causes the good players to be put back in the Auction Pool. == If you have any other questions, let me know. Thanks,
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner