Team in turmoil...what to do? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Team in turmoil...what to do? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Team in turmoil...what to do? WHIR

Postby hambone1818 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:58 am

12 team roto, 5x5 traditional cats, dynasty league

My team had a horrific start to the year, with a slew of injuries and awful starts. However, a few moves later and some rebounding players and I'm back in the hunt (6th place, 2 points behind 3rd but a ways off 1st/2nd). I think this team has what it takes to vault into the top few spots but the next few weeks are key--as you'll see with some of the players on the roster.

No bench spots, everyone is either active or on the DL/in the minors. That said, I have a ton of minor leaguers and injured players who'll soon get a callup, so where/how do I make the space, and where do I try to improve the roster in trades?

C R. Hernandez, C. Ruiz
1B K. Youkilis
2B K. Johnson
3B M. Reynolds
SS T. Tulowitzki
MI R. Theriot
CI M. Young
OF J. Bruce, C. Granderson, R. Davis, A. Ethier, R. Ludwick
UTIL D. Brown

P A. Bailey, D. Storen, J. Axford, C. Kershaw, J. Hellickson, U. Jimenez, S. Marcum, R. Nolasco, J. Peavy, J. Danks

Injuries/minors:
J. Mauer, T. Nishioka, S. Victorino, D. Ackley, M. Moustakas, D. Jennings, B. Harper
H. Bailey, B. Beachy, S. Miller

Theriot, Danks, Ludwick and Hernandez are pretty easy drops for Ackley, Mauer, Victorino and either Beachy or Bailey, respectively. But what do I do with Jennings, Moustakas, Nishi and the other SPer? Who would you trade and what would you target (R/SB/W/saves are my biggest areas of weakness right now). Thanks, please link and I'll look at your question!
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Team in turmoil...what to do? WHIR

Postby KingOfSports » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:12 am

You can start by dropping Danks. He's 0-8 with a 5.25 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hambone1818 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:24 am

KingOfSports wrote:You can start by dropping Danks. He's 0-8 with a 5.25 ERA and a 1.51 WHIP.

Yeah, thanks. He was a throw-in in a trade for Granderson so I figured I'd give him a few weeks--until Beachy/Bailey get back--to right the ship, otherwise he'll be dropped. In the meantime his 2-3 starts, if he does continue to struggle, won't hurt me much.

But yeah, that's definitely on the 'to do' list, thanks. Anyone have any thoughts on the offense? the way I see it once Mauer/Ackley/Jennings/Moustakas/Nishi are in the majors I'll have an extra MI, CI, and OFer (dropping Theriot and Hernandez)...where do I upgrade?

Thanks again!
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby khabibul35 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Theriot is a scrub. I'd grab someone else like Allan Craig for the MI position. He has Yahoo eligibility at MI already, and should have it in ESPN soon (currently at 8 games).

Also, I'd grab Ackley now rather than waiting for him to be called up. Sure, you'll be down a bench spot for a bit, but you don't want to miss out. It'll be 2 weeks max before he's up. Also, seems strange that you have Youkilis at 1B. Why not move him to 3B, drop reynolds and get a 1B who will outproduce reynolds.
khabibul35
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hambone1818 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Alright, I decided to sacrifice some long-term value for a few expiring contracts; traded Andre Ethier (3 year $12 contract), Jeremy Hellickson ($5, can be extended after this season) and Mike Moustakas (will be $5 the next 2 seasons then can be extended) for Teixeira and Sabathia (both expiring deals, so I lose them after this season). Here's the updated roster:

C R. Hernandez, C. Ruiz
1B K. Youkilis
2B K. Johnson
3B M. Reynolds
SS T. Tulowitzki
MI R. Theriot
CI M. Young
OF J. Bruce, C. Granderson, R. Davis, S. Victorino, D. Brown
UTIL M. Teixeria

P A. Bailey, D. Storen, J. Axford, C. Kershaw, CC Sabathia, U. Jimenez, S. Marcum, R. Nolasco, J. Peavy, J. Danks

Injuries/minors:
J. Mauer, T. Nishioka, D. Ackley, D. Jennings, B. Harper
H. Bailey, B. Beachy, S. Miller

Danks stays another week because Peavy is headed for the DL so I'm going to pick someone else up. And Theriot's been hot, I'm leaving him in there until Ackley get's thecallup.

Any more thoughts on the team? Is the pitching staff enough going forward? The relievers? The offense is now fantastic, I'm just worried about the pitching staff (though having H. Bailey, Beachy and Peavy as fill-ins soon should help matters).

Thanks!
hambone1818
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FBNUT31 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Well, I think what you did to get Teixera and Sabathia is big! Especially if you are still trying to contend this year still. That move was big. Teixera himself was a huge upgrade for your offense. So here's the deal. If you desperately need SBs that much then package R Davis (hardly a top option) with another OF and go for the Bourne type or the next OF down in SBs. That way giving him back Davis will help him brace the loss of a top end swipper. I would also target an upgrade either 2B or 3B. I would consider that a must for this year.
FBNUT31
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team