My Hellickson/J.Johnson/Axford for Stanton/Putz/Moustakas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

My Hellickson/J.Johnson/Axford for Stanton/Putz/Moustakas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My Hellickson/J.Johnson/Axford for Stanton/Putz/Moustaka

Postby Devil Doc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:40 am

So I decided to take the trade, even against everyone's suggestions, and not that I didn't like them or appreciate them, but decided to take it any way. I know its a risk, and others may think its a "stupid" move and I gave up too much for this trade, but here is what I'm thinking:

Based on who I have right now, and how the season has played out so far, Hosmer and Hellickson probably WOULD NOT be a keeper for me. Josh Johnson however, yes could have been a keeper...but the guy hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Having AGonz in my line up at 1B, with Ike Davis a young and upcoming 1B, I think I can afford to give up Hosmer. Especially to a guy who's got probably about 7-8 guys on his roster that are keepers, and Hosmer would rank below his top 6, giving me the chance to get him in next years draft.

I got a young 22 year old OF in Stanton who just murders the ball, and gives me the power options I need going into the future, where I can focus on other aspects of my roster, Pitching or guys who hit for average and steal tons of bases. I also got prospect, yes not yet proven, in a league where its probably one of the most SHALLOWEST positions in baseball, 3B with Moustakas. This could really come back and bite me in the ass, yes I realize this. I'm willing to take the risk on a guy like him, in hopes that it may be a position that I don't have to worry about in the future, thats of course he performs well enough to be deemed a keeper.

Obviously my pitching took the biggest hit, I was able to add a few pitchers in Wandy Rodriguez and Edinson Volquez, both off the WW. Do these guys make up for the loss of Josh Johnson, no probably not. But they will provide enough of a couple things to maintain a 7.5 game lead on the rest of the league.

Of course its baseball, and anything could happen, hell Moustakas could never get called up and then it really sucks. But that's part of this game. I thought about this trade for a couple days, and eventually took it. Overall I'm happy about this trade and I'm glad I took it. Its given me the power numbers that I need, and a future prospect, while right now seems I gave up a lot...but I think I'll benefit more from this than he will.

Thank again for everyones input, its more than appreciated!

10 Team Keeper League (6 Keepers, no max time)

Scoring:
BA, HR, R, RBI, SB, BB - ERA, K, WHIP, W, S, PTW (Pitching Team Win)

C Matt Wieters, Bal C
1B Adrian Gonzalez, Bos 1B
2B Martin Prado, Atl 2B, 3B, OF
3B Placido Polanco, Phi 3B
SS Jimmy Rollins, Phi SS
2B/SS Darwin Barney, ChiC 2B
1B/3B Michael Morse, Was 1B/OF
OF Ichiro Suzuki, Sea OF
OF Jacoby Ellsbury, Bos OF
OF Mike Stanton, Fla OF
DH Carlos Quentin, CWS OF, DH
UTIL Grady Sizemore, Cle OF
UTIL Jeff Francoeur, KC OF
Bench Jason Kubel, OF/DH Min
Bench Mike Moustakas, 3B KC
DL Ike Davis, NYM 1B

P Hiroki Kuroda, LAD SP
P Jair Jurrjens, Atl SP
SP Roy Oswalt, Phi SP PP
SP Michael Pineda, Sea SP K
SP Ryan Dempster, ChC SP
SP Josh Tomlin, Cle SP
SP Edinson Volquez, Cin SP PP
RP Craig Kimbrel, Atl RP
RP J.J. Putz, Ari RP
Bench Jhoulys Chacin, Col SP
Bench Kyle Lohse, StL SP
Bench Wandy Rodriguez*, Hou SP
DL Brandon Beachy*,
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dannahann » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:52 am

Please don't take this wrong Devil Doc, I'm not doing this to call you out, just hopefully adding perspective incase you choose to alter your course at some point in the future. I watched Hoss and Moose closely last season, attending several games live, to include BP, and now see virtually every game Hoss plays in the show. I'm not really biased here. I drafted Moose and am holding him to be a possible rook keep and really hope he flourishes. That said, you may very likely have "thrown in" Joey Votto to get Mark Reynolds. Despite less experience Hosmer is a more accomplished hitter at this point. Moose may or may not become a bigger power bat, both could be huge,Kauffmann hurts tho.
I know you have A-Gonz already and am with you on Stanton 100% but it's very possible you could have traded Hoss for Stanton straight up in the near future. You almost certainly should be able to flip Hoss and Hellickson for Stanton and would've retained JJ or had another huge trade chip to play if you were done with him. For perspective I recently offered Braun (a top 3 asset) for Hoss plus either Kemp carGo or McCutcheon (his choice) and was turned down cold. We do have special provisions in which we keep 2 rooks free, but it's not like I don't have keepable rooks without Hosmer. I drafted Pineda, Moose, and Des Jennings and also own Crow and Dee Gordon. I just believe Hosmer is a much better keep option than the othes, and I'm not alone. Speaking rooks, I was also turned down offering Pineda for Hoss straight up and also tried Utley + Des Jennings for Hoss + Polanco. His owner is stuck starting a combo of polanco valencia and callaspo at 2B and still turned this down.
Please don't read this as a dig. I'm with most and didn't like the deal much even before the add in, but that's OK we all value guys differently. Bottom line is I really do hope Moose is amazing too and that your deal pans out but if I were you I'd be trying to get Hosmer back if I could.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Devil Doc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:43 pm

dannahann wrote:Please don't take this wrong Devil Doc, I'm not doing this to call you out, just hopefully adding perspective incase you choose to alter your course at some point in the future. I watched Hoss and Moose closely last season, attending several games live, to include BP, and now see virtually every game Hoss plays in the show. I'm not really biased here. I drafted Moose and am holding him to be a possible rook keep and really hope he flourishes. That said, you may very likely have "thrown in" Joey Votto to get Mark Reynolds. Despite less experience Hosmer is a more accomplished hitter at this point. Moose may or may not become a bigger power bat, both could be huge,Kauffmann hurts tho.
I know you have A-Gonz already and am with you on Stanton 100% but it's very possible you could have traded Hoss for Stanton straight up in the near future. You almost certainly should be able to flip Hoss and Hellickson for Stanton and would've retained JJ or had another huge trade chip to play if you were done with him. For perspective I recently offered Braun (a top 3 asset) for Hoss plus either Kemp carGo or McCutcheon (his choice) and was turned down cold. We do have special provisions in which we keep 2 rooks free, but it's not like I don't have keepable rooks without Hosmer. I drafted Pineda, Moose, and Des Jennings and also own Crow and Dee Gordon. I just believe Hosmer is a much better keep option than the othes, and I'm not alone. Speaking rooks, I was also turned down offering Pineda for Hoss straight up and also tried Utley + Des Jennings for Hoss + Polanco. His owner is stuck starting a combo of polanco valencia and callaspo at 2B and still turned this down.
Please don't read this as a dig. I'm with most and didn't like the deal much even before the add in, but that's OK we all value guys differently. Bottom line is I really do hope Moose is amazing too and that your deal pans out but if I were you I'd be trying to get Hosmer back if I could.

Thank you very much for this perspective, and a part of me kind of regrets adding Hosmer to the deal but it seemed like it might have been my only play at the time to get a power guy like Stanton. And what you say makes PERFECT sense, and I'm already trying to work a trade with another guy, who I can potentially take and make a deal with the guy I traded Hosmer with. I took a really big risk, and I'm hoping it pays off. Again, I really appreciate the insight, and as a rookie owner, it means a lot for you to take the time and respond back to me. Thank you very much.
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions