Mid-season SS rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mid-season SS rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mid-season SS rankings

Postby twistedude » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:39 am

I'd be interested in gathering opinions on how the SS position should be ranked going forward for the remainder of the season. Assume standard 5x5 scoring cats non-keeper. Here's mine:

1. Troy Tulowitzki - you know a torrid hot streak is around the corner
2. Asdrubal Cabrera - he's been raking and I'm buying, easily the #1 SS statistically so far
3. Jose Reyes - healthy and productive. In a better lineup he could be #1.
4. Elvis Andrus - doing about what everyone expected
5. Alexei Ramirez - reliably solid
6. Hanley Ramirez - can't go much higher than this given the depth of his suckitude and injury issues.
7. Starlin Castro - starting to look like a hollow avg guy, the upside is there though
8. Erick Aybar - nice line so far, might be playing a little over his head
9. Jhonny Peralta - you think the .300+ avg will last? I'm skeptical
10. Jimmy Rollins - very 'meh' line so far, but trusty/proven

Looking forward to your input. ;-D
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mid-season SS rankings

Postby Ender » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:12 am

Tulo - Good all over
Hanley - Worried about slow start but wont' go overboard
Reyes - Seems healthy
Jeter - Rumors of his demise are obviously overblown given his past 30 days
Alexie - Really solid but doesn't seem to be making the next step
Asdrubal - Big fan but don't think the power sticks
Castro - Just kind of bleh outside of AVG
Rollins - Dunno what to think
Drew - See Rollins
Y. Escobar - Good everywhere but not great anywhere.

One side note is Andrus, this guy is worthless in too many stats to offset the SB which might not keep up at this pace.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby ABA316 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:09 am

Not drinking his bathwater, but amazing how little love Peralta gets..must be the misspelled first name haha.

Guy is the 5th ranked SS year to date in Yahoo. 2nd in HR, tied for 3rd best in RBI, 3rd best in OBP. Gotta be a bargain for where he was getting drafted (late teens in my keeper league), plus the 3rd base elig..on another note he's ahead of Hanley in all stats except steals
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:00 am

If I spent more time on this I might switch the order around for those from Drew to Rollins. But Jeter does suck. I would rather have the no speed and only a little power Lowrie instead of Jeter. I think Lowrie can at least hit.

Tulo

Hanley
Reyes
Asdrubal

Alexei
Drew
Yunel
Peralta
Aybar - at least he has BA and SB's
Elvis - he can move up when he stops hitting .265 with almost no power
Rollins - same as Elvis
Lowrie
Jeter
Starlin - he doesn't have power or run a lot. Hopefully his avg doesn't drop below .300 also.

Bizarre stat - Jamey Carrol is hitting .293 with 29 runs. And 4 RBI's. Is he batting after the pitcher?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Ender » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:02 am

ABA316 wrote:Not drinking his bathwater, but amazing how little love Peralta gets..must be the misspelled first name haha.

Guy is the 5th ranked SS year to date in Yahoo. 2nd in HR, tied for 3rd best in RBI, 3rd best in OBP. Gotta be a bargain for where he was getting drafted (late teens in my keeper league), plus the 3rd base elig..on another note he's ahead of Hanley in all stats except steals

He's be just outside my top 10, he doesn't steal and his AVG will drop like a truck at some point. I didn't think this was supposed to be about just this year as much as what to expect going forward and I expect Peralta to hit like .265 the rest of the way with 20ish HR power just like what he has done the rest of his career.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:06 am

Ender wrote:
ABA316 wrote:Not drinking his bathwater, but amazing how little love Peralta gets..must be the misspelled first name haha.

He's be just outside my top 10, he doesn't steal and his AVG will drop like a truck at some point. I didn't think this was supposed to be about just this year as much as what to expect going forward and I expect Peralta to hit like .265 the rest of the way with 20ish HR power just like what he has done the rest of his career.

I'll take that over Jeter hitting .265 with mediocre power and speed. The problem at SS is that there is a lot of mediocre 2 dimensional players.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Ender » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:05 am

kab21 wrote:
Ender wrote:

I'll take that over Jeter hitting .265 with mediocre power and speed. The problem at SS is that there is a lot of mediocre 2 dimensional players.

I would too if Jeter didn't play for the Yankees. Last month he hit .274 with 2 HR, 20 R, 10 RBI and 5 SB. That is a pretty normal Jeter month outside of the AVG which I don't think is going to rebound, he also walked 11 times. He is the 8th ranked SS over the past 30 days and was a top 80 player during that span. A .270 hitting SS with 10 HR power and 15-20 SB speed is nothing amazing but in the Yankees lineup it becomes a top 10 SS given how crappy the position is.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Montana168 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:24 am

I completely agree with the original poster's rankings. I really don't see how the rest can say Andrus isn't a top 5 SS right now. He is having a much better year than his preseason rankings/projections anticipated. If you were drafting Andrus for power, then you are just foolish. He had zero HR last year, so his pace for 5+ you'll take and like it. You drafted him for SB, not HR. He has 19 SB, 0 CS. That is huge. His runs have also been solid with 35 so far, and his rbi surprisingly solid with 24 (after having only 35 last year).

Also, his avg has been solid since the 1st of May. He hit .282 in may, and is hitting .429 in June so far. If he produces 100/5/60/50/.280, that is a breakout season. At 23 years old that is a very solid line and he has much more room to grow from that. He should one day project to 10 HR, but he cannot be counted on that in the present.

He certainly has a lot to work on yet, his walks have been abysmal for a top of the order guy (11 bb) and his obp/slg are horrible (.318/.350) so if you are in a deeper stat league that counts those stats, I can see your argument for his lack of success. But in a 5x5 league this guy is a top 5 SS, without question.

As far as the rest of SS, Tulo is by far the #1 guy. He is a notorious slow starter so having 11 HR so far is very encouraging. Also, barring a miraculous second half from Hanley, he is definitely out of the discussion next year as the #2 pick behind Pujols. I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall out of the top 5 with the amount of studs that are first round worthy now (pujols, tulo, braun, kemp, etc).

Also, if I was an Asdrubal owner I would be selling, selling, selling. If you can flip him for a guy like Andrus or even Alexei you have to make that move. You guys can't honestly think he is going to keep up this 30/20 pace do you? Thats like saying you think the Indians will keep up their pace and finish with the third best record in baseball. :-b
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CharlatanSin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:27 am

Ender wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. He's totally changed his approach this year. Not in an "I'm in the best shape of my life!" way, but in a "Wait a minute...there's more baseball field in the opposite direction?!" way. For the first time in his career, he's slapping outside pitches and breaking balls for singles, instead of trying to pull them and popping out.

Is Alphabet City a .325 hitter? Of course not. Is he a .280 hitter now? I'd put money on it. Combine that with his customary 20 HR, and probably 90 RBI, and you're looking at numbers that would play at 3B, to say nothing of SS. I stick him at #6 or #7 for the rest of the year.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:59 am

That certainly could be CharlatanSin, he does have some peripherals to support the improvement. His FB% is up and his K% is down. Those are things that can just be a hot streak but they also can be legitimate improvement unlike a random BABIP spike. He's also young enough to see actual improvement.

I haven't watched him this year so I personally won't buy into it just yet though, he's had torrid hot streaks before and didn't sustain it so I'm going to assume for now that this is just one of those.

Same thing with Andrus, I just don't believe he is going to sustain that SB rate. SB are streaky just like anything else, you get guys like Fuld and Tabata who had 10+ right away and barely stole any the next month and I think Andrus slows down the running game as it heats up in Texas.

I personally put very little stock into 1/3 of a season so I'm sure my ratings are more conservative for 'break out' players than most, but that is how I've found success in fantasy baseball. I want low variance so I don't chase after the hot starts since a lot of times they end up with slow finishes.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers