H-E-L-P!!! Grabbing H. Bailey! Drop Werth or Morse? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

H-E-L-P!!! Grabbing H. Bailey! Drop Werth or Morse?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H-E-L-P!!! Grabbing H. Bailey! Drop Werth or Morse?

Postby theblemishedone » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:18 am

LEAVE A LINK AND I'LL HELP AS BEST AS I CAN! :-)

Ok, when you see my team, you'll see my dilemma. H. Bailey makes his comeback next weekend and I want to stash him. Also, Lind comes back this weekend, so I have to make room.

I am leaning towards dropping Werth because in the end, I think he and Morse will have very similar numbers and I like Morse with 2-pos eligibility and the fact that he's hitting cleanup and making clean contact.

Here's my roster. 12 team non-keeper H2H weekly points league. Everything counts except WHIP, WHIR, ERA, AVG, and OBP.

C Victor Martinez, Det C, DH
1B Michael Morse, Was OF, 1B
2B Kelly Johnson, Ari 2B
3B Evan Longoria, TB 3B
SS Stephen Drew, Ari SS
OF Jayson Werth, Was OF
OF Logan Morrison, Fla OF
OF Andre Ethier, LAD OF
UTIL David Ortiz, Bos DH
Bench Adam Lind*, Tor DH, 1B DL15

P Matt Cain, SF
P Brian Wilson, SF
P Clay Buchholz, Bos
P Kyle Drabek, Tor
P Alexi Ogando, Tex
P Justin Masterson, Cle
P Johnny Cueto, Cin
Bench Brandon Morrow, Tor
Bench Scott Baker,
Bench Rick Porcello, Det
Bench Dillon Gee, NYM
Bench Jordan Lyles, Hou
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H-E-L-P!!! Grabbing H. Bailey! Drop Werth or Morse?

Postby berrymyers » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:23 am

You're hitters look pretty thin...if it's not a keeper I would drop Lyles. He will have his ups and downs and you should leave those to someone else to suffer through.
20tm dynasty 5x5 w/BB,HLD
5 SP,3 RP
C-Martin
1B-Morneau,Fielder,Belt
2B-Phillips,JWeeks
3B-Zimm,Sizemore
SS-Furcal,Aviles,Casilla,Cozart
LF-Gordon
CF-C.Young
RF-J.Upton
SP-Peavy,Verlander,Bucholz,Shields,Carpenter,Matusz,Teheran
RP-Pap,Valverde,Clippard
berrymyers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby theblemishedone » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Thanks for the help!

I agree my hitters aren't super well-known, but they have definitely been consistent for me.

The only one that has been inconsistent has been Werth. If you look @ the other player's stats over the last few weeks, tp they have all been picking up the slack in a big way.

I do agree with Lyles being unproven, but he is a 2-start for me this week. He was also the Astros top prospect, Should he falter, Wandy is available in my league and I'm keeping an eye on him and his recovery period. Plus, the Astros suddenly started to hit, and Melancoln has been more than awesome picking up for Lyons, so the wins are there.

If you think my hitting is thin now, you should have seen it a few weeks ago... 8-o :-X X-I %-6 :-P !+)

berrymyers wrote:You're hitters look pretty thin...if it's not a keeper I would drop Lyles. He will have his ups and downs and you should leave those to someone else to suffer through.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:32 pm

You've got a bevy of starting pitching that's borderline droppable in a 12 team mixed redraft. I wouldn't touch Lyles in a redraft, for example. He might be Houston's top prospect, but that says more about the quality of Houston's minor league system than it does about Lyles. He's not a bad pitcher but he doesn't have elite upside, and as a rookie, with that offense backing him up, in that park, I can't see him being anything more than replacement level.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 67)

Postby BiGAnT » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Couple things...1.) I would rop Lyles even though you don't really want to..I understand a 2 start week is what you got but still...2.)dropping Werth is not worth it to me. He is too valuable, you just gotta give him some time..I do understand he is no longer in a powerful lineup but Morse isn't either and Werth is much more proven than Morse...3.)If you do not want to drop Lyles and it is between these 2, then drop Morse. Werth has SB potential in addition to the other potential that Morse has...gotta keep Werth! Hope that helps a little bit!

Help with mine? Thanks!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=432468
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KaPluie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 pm

I'd be OK dropping any of Lyles, Porcello, or Gee for HB. I'd also be OK with forgetting about homer bailey altogether.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby theblemishedone » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks for the help, guys!

I ended up dropping Gee for Volquez (he's volatile, but he's a 2-start this week, and hopefully has his head out of his arse).

I also dropped Lyles to pick up Gee off of waivers (Gee gets the Pirates this week), so hoping it goes through.

I'm also on the "Wandy watch" as he is a f/a in our league.

Dropping Morse was sucky, but it was all a give and take, and Morse does me no good on my bench. 8-o X-I %-6 :-P :-B
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KaPluie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:54 pm

So you dropped Gee and put in a waiver claim for Gee at the same time??
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:55 pm

yeah, no offense your team looks pretty rough and right now i wouldn't want to cut either werth (i.e. a guy who you prolly drafted at a decent place and now are in a dilemma where if you cut him you've wasted a ~top-10 draft pick and if you keep him like, what if he sucks all year?)

michael morse is prolly a flash in a pan, don't forget he was yet another spring training hero and like, if riggleman has any sense he'll keep on giving the surging morse some more playing time at the behest of rick ankiel (i mean really, what do you expect from rick ankiel? ok you wanted to be .500ish and have a 3% chance of making a wild-card run, but it's pretty clear that ain't happening... so why not give player who might have a future with your team at-bats as opposed to giving them to an aging vet who is 98% likely not part of your team's future, unless he accepts a real low contract to stick around as the 4th OF going forward)

so yeah i'm not waving pom-poms for the michael morse experience, but he's hot... he hit an extra-innings grand slam today and given his legendary spring training power, like, i'd want to ride hot bats if i were you cuz lord knows you're going to need some hot bats going forward... at least you're in H2H where last week means jack squat this week, so if morse is hot and hitting 2-3 HR a week over the span of a month or so, you can hopefully use that to etch out a few wins as opposed to worrying aboiut his production in the relatively-long-term.

and homer bailey? i dunno about him... i always had him in taht bud norris / nl central tier of ballyhooed pitchers who finally started to show some life this season, but i wouldn't implicitly trust them going forward. sure, bailey looked liek a solid pitcher this year, but b4 his DL stint the cubs got him for like 4-5 runs and that offense is abysmal thank you very much.

in your case, man, you have many droppable guys... i'd drop scott baker, cuz even tho he's seemingly the most consistent pitcher on the twins, taht's like being the least-chubby guy at fat camp and i short of him giving you sub-3 ERA and a WHIP under 1.20 with nice K rates, what are you going to get for him? porcello has been nice but nothing special... dillon gee is just kind of there, i guess he's been OK lately he's had a nice ~2.80/1.20 over the last month with some strikeouts so i reckon you wanna keep him (even that's a bit of a reach)

so ummm, i think lyles gave up 4ER tonight to the mighty padres? you said it's a non-keeper and i think lyles is prolly a future bet... and look at bud norris for an example of how ballyhooed astros pitching prospects have fared over the last few years (granted, they're different pitchers)

so if you're some believer and you HAVE TO KEEP LYLES, then like, i'd drop baker... cuz i don't think baker is going to give you anything speical SLASH warranting keeping him when he's on a crap team and won't get wins...even tho i never play for wins with my pitchingh, i look at ERA/WHIP/K and racking up wins is perhaps the last saving grace when a pitcher/team is underperforming.... so yeah, i'll go with the crowd and say lyles, but i'd also keep a close eye on scott baker or rick porcello, cuz in the last month porcello has given you 22IP of 3 win 3.57/1.10 with ~10k in 22IP? that's nothing special. if anything, baker is 3.80/1.30 on the season (4.60/1.40 in the last month) but he has a better K rate, so i'd rank him over porcello like htat.

so basically, if you think jordan lyles is special, then cut rick porcello. otherwise, shoot, i guess you can cut lyles pretty easily... you're in no position to get rid of offense, especially when a guy is hot. i personally don't expect morse to go OMFG and somehow end up 30/100 after playing way over his head, but if i were the natinals i'd give him at-bats and if i were mike morse i'd do my damndest to slug slug slug cuz you wanna get a major league payday, so like, defintiely drop a pitcher... i'd go lyles/porcello/baker in that order, cuz in the end i think all three of them are likely to hurt your team... but since it's a H2H league, you're not really going to rack up first-go-around success from early success with a jordan lyles, and if you're (likely) making moves where you wanna make the playoffs period, well then, i'd be weary of lyles and porcello and banker and just not cut a hitter cuz man, you really need that.

take a look @ my thread, would ye? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=432547
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby theblemishedone » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:32 am

KaPluie, thanks for the help!

I dropped Gee for Volquez a few days ago.

I waited until I saw Lyles' start today. After it was announced that Lyles would be demoted as soon as Wandy came back, I put my waiver claim a few hours ago on Gee against the Pirates (I'm #7/12 on the w/w). So I'd be switching Lyles/Gee.

Watching the way the Mets have been playing lately, I feel confident grabbing a Mets pitcher and Gee seems the best viable choice.

KaPluie wrote:So you dropped Gee and put in a waiver claim for Gee at the same time??
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions