My R. Martin/D. Brown for Lincecum... thoughts? (WHIR!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

My R. Martin/D. Brown for Lincecum... thoughts? (WHIR!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My R. Martin/D. Brown for Lincecum... thoughts? (WHIR!)

Postby GiantFanatic » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Yahoo standard H2H, 12 teams.

Okay, so I'm faced with an overloaded roster; Garza is on the DL, and I need to free up roster space to bring him back. I also have an abundance of wealth at Catcher... with Martin and McCann I have 1/2 at the position. Pairing Martin with a prospect (like D. Brown, who looks awesome) I'm thinking I can free space and maybe target a top tier pitcher.

The following are the trades I'm considering based on the fact that these the target teams have awful catching situations:

Trade with Team 1
- Give: Martin, D. Brown
- Get: Lincecum

Trade with Team 2
- Get: T. Hanson

Trade with Team 3
- Get: D. Price

The following are the situations of the teams above:

TEAM 1
C - R. Hernandez (Posada on bench)
SP - Lincecum, Norris, Myers, Hellickson, Drabek, Lilly, Garcia, J. Johnson (DL)

TEAM 2
C - Suzuki
SP - Carpenter, Hanson, Lewis, Scherzer, Pineiro, Lohse

TEAM 3
C - Buck (Mauer on DL)
SP - Price, Baker, Jimenez, Zambrano, Gallardo, Richard, Floyd, Arroyo, Nolasco

So... thoughts? Think I can make it work? Too much or too little? Leave a link and I'll reply in kind.

Thanks,
GF

For reference, my roster is as follows:

C - McCann
1B - Pujols
2B - Utley
3B - N. Walker
SS - Rollins
OF - A. Gordon, Sizemore, Hart
Util - L. Morrison
Bench - Martin, Zobrist, Gardner, Brown

SP - Kershaw, Buchholz, Greinke
P - Cueto, Morrow, Bumgarner
RP - Bailer, Papelbon, Soria
DL - Garza
GiantFanatic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: My R. Martin/D. Brown for Lincecum... thoughts? (WHIR!)

Postby Bolthead04 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 am

I would think team B would be most likely to accept.

Given that you have Mcann, who should stay healthy getting a minimum 1 off day per week, I see no reason not to trade Martin. (I actually almost picked up Martin for the same reason myself.)

I'm not sure he'll land you a top teir pitcher with only D Brown added, just because Martin hasn't exactly been a long time producer in the majors either. Go ahead and put out feelers to all three, but it might take more to get a deal done.

Good luck! :)

Help on mine?
First Year-First Team

Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantFanatic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:44 am

Any other thoughts? Looking for some more feedback...
GiantFanatic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby twistedude » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:52 am

I think there's almost ZERO chance any of those trades would be accepted. Nobody's gonna give up an ace for Martin/Brown. If you include a more proven OF than Brown (maybe one of Hart/Morrison/Gardner?) then you'd have a better chance....
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)

Postby High cheese » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:59 am

twistedude wrote:I think there's almost ZERO chance any of those trades would be accepted. Nobody's gonna give up an ace for Martin/Brown. If you include a more proven OF than Brown (maybe one of Hart/Morrison/Gardner?) then you'd have a better chance....

I agree...not likely any will get accepted unless you pony up a better OF as mentioned above.
C-Santana
1B-Gonzalez
2B-Uggla
3B-Zimmerman
SS-Reyes
OF-Hamilton/Beltran/McCutchen
Util-Heyward/MCab/Berkman
Bench-Dom Brown/Moustakas/Aybar

SP-Halladay/Sabathia/Beckett/Shields/Hamels/Peavy
RP-Marmol/Paplebon/Valverde/League/Feliz
High cheese
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Devil Doc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:01 am

twistedude wrote:I think there's almost ZERO chance any of those trades would be accepted. Nobody's gonna give up an ace for Martin/Brown. If you include a more proven OF than Brown (maybe one of Hart/Morrison/Gardner?) then you'd have a better chance....

I agree with this as well, it would take a great sales pitch to land any of those guys with what you are offering. If I owned Lincecum, it would probably be near IMPOSSIBLE for me to give him up, certainly for those two guys. I'll deal with a less than average catcher with lincecum on my roster.

You might want to think about adding Gardner to the offer instead of Brown. Unless this is a keeper league, I don't think Brown has that great of value yet.

With the depth that Deam three has at pitching, they may be more willing to work something out, team 2 would probably accept, but no way Team 1 gives up Lincecum.

Help with trade please
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantFanatic » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks for all the replies, exactly what I was looking for. Note this is not a keeper.

Yes, I realize I'm over-reaching a little on Brown, just wasn't sure how much based on his 2011 value. He looks absolutely awesome, and I think the potential for him to hold his spot this season is very high right now. However, definitely unproven, which is the problem.

The issue with Gardner is really just that he doesn't have that great a record this season... started slow and has been walking more than hitting lately. He's a bigtime SB threat, but most of those teams (particularly Team 1) have solid SB production. Martin makes a nice argument because he adds SB at C (which is rare), OF not so much. I'm trying to retain Hart, Sizemore, and Morrison as my core OFs with Zobrist as a utility option. Guess I'll start with Brown, see if anyone bites, and then move up to Gardner.

Here's a question, if I go all the way to offering Martin/Gardner/Brown for one of these three guys (Lincecum, Hanson, or Price) overpaying? Is there anyone you would target instead of these three? I need to unload two guys in this trade, so I'm definitely looking to get value in a 2 for 1.

Thanks,
GF
GiantFanatic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions