How long can Alexi Ogando keep this up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How long can Alexi Ogando keep this up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How long can Alexi Ogando keep this up?

Postby LloydChristmas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:37 pm

-He's never pitched more than 42 innings in a season at any level.
-His BABIP is a very low .210
-His FIP and xFIP are both over 1.4 points higher than his ERA
-He's striking out 6.44 per 9 (which puts him behind guys like Freddy Garcia and Tim Stauffer)
-His groundball rate is 36.4% which is 96th amongst ALL qualified starting pitchers

Besides the fact that his supporting stats just aren't there, he's most likely going to be limited in his innings or he will hit some sort of wall.

What's the optimistic outlook?...And you can't cite his win-loss record (a misleading and flawed statistic) up to this point
LloydChristmas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How long can Alexi Ogando keep this up?

Postby J35J » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:09 pm

I don't see him falling off a cliff if that is what you are asking. His stuff is filthy and as long as he can keep his control in check then he'll be good. Sure he's going to regress....he HAS to regress at least a little....but I don't see him putting up a prolonged 4.5ERA or anything. He may wear down as the innings mount on him and if they aren't careful with him he may be the biggest question mark going into next season because he'll have this good year under his belt but if they throw him a ton of innings he'll be a huge injury/dead arm risk next year. I'd treat him similar to Pineda this year...go ahead and get a couple more starts out of him but trade him before the innings mount and he either starts wearing down or they just start limiting his innings and outings...sell high soon for sure.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby jfg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Don't you think he'll hit that wall this year though? He's already 20 innings over his career high. With all of the other stats showing how lucky he's been, I feel it's very likely that he could be awful come All-Star break, if not sooner. I think a DL stint is in the future to rest him after a few bad starts. Not that he'll actually be injured, but there's no way he can keep pitching these innings when he's never done it before.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:42 pm

jfg wrote:Don't you think he'll hit that wall this year though? He's already 20 innings over his career high. With all of the other stats showing how lucky he's been, I feel it's very likely that he could be awful come All-Star break, if not sooner. I think a DL stint is in the future to rest him after a few bad starts. Not that he'll actually be injured, but there's no way he can keep pitching these innings when he's never done it before.

His stats need to be taken somewhat with a grain of salt. Guy has been pitching since 2005. I'm certain he's thrown more pitches (and thus conceptually innings) in prior years to 2010 but who knows as to how many.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:43 am

Ogando seems like a near lock to have been in the DWL or the VWL and was probably used as a starter. Has anyone checked those stats instead of just looking at his MLB/MiLB innings pitched? He's still going to make a big innings jump this year but it might not be as bad as you think.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby jfg » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:26 am

What a story, surprised it isn't getting more publicity. I didn't realize that.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby J35J » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:33 am

I couldn't find much on winter or summer leagues stats. I did find 18IP from 2009 in the Dominican Summer League here...
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... bp&cid=625

This story talks about him pitching in the Summer and Winter leagues a few years back because he couldn't even come to the US for a few years due to some human trafficking...
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?stor ... ocalId=dal

"But they had to harness it. That was the job of Ogando's coaches in the Dominican Republic. Ogando was invited to join the minor leaguers for spring training in 2005, but when he applied for his work visa, it was denied. Ogando admitted involvement in a human trafficking ring in which he had agreed to be paid to marry someone to get her into the United States. ESPN Deportes reported that the scandal involved about 30 Dominican minor league players between the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

"He was taken advantage of," Daniels said. "That's no excuse, but the punishment didn't fit the crime."

That punishment was five years without a visa to enter the United States. That relegated Ogando to pitching in the Dominican Summer League, winter ball and any international tournaments in which he could participate."
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 am

Hm, not quite the negativity I was expecting, given his peripherals. I just recently flipped him for Liriano, and now I'm not sure it was the best move...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby DerekBDoherty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Hm, not quite the negativity I was expecting, given his peripherals. I just recently flipped him for Liriano, and now I'm not sure it was the best move...

I wouldn't be surprised if Ogando's numbers spike, but trading him for Liriano was down right retarded. Sorry, but that's the truth.
DerekBDoherty
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:02 pm

DerekBDoherty wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:Hm, not quite the negativity I was expecting, given his peripherals. I just recently flipped him for Liriano, and now I'm not sure it was the best move...

I wouldn't be surprised if Ogando's numbers spike, but trading him for Liriano was down right retarded. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Hey now, we're not into flaming one another around here so if need be, keep the truth to yourself next time. ;-7
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers