Anthony Rizzo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anthony Rizzo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anthony Rizzo

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 pm

When does he get the nod? Drooling over his stats and anxiously awaiting his arrival.

It's definitely hard to overlook Rizzo's .369 average, .449 on-base percentage and 1.170 OPS at Tucson. He is even hitting .333 against lefties in 30 at-bats. - CBS
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anthony Rizzo

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:57 pm

this is covered in the prospects thread.

In short, after Blanks replaces Cantu, and if they decide Hawpe wont fetch a type B draft pick

The Padres (as a Padre fan) would be stupid to call him up this year at all.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 pm

Rotoworld:

Brad Hawpe has been taking more flyballs in right field recently, an indication that he could be moved there while Anthony Rizzo takes his spot at first base.
When asked about the situation, Padres manager Bud Black didn't indicate that a Rizzo promotion is imminent, but he didn't exactly deny it, either. "Have I asked (Hawpe) to come into my office?" Black said. "Not yet. But have I said, ‘Hey, Brad, I want you to start taking some fly balls in the outfield off the bat?’ Yeah. Brad knows. He’s played seven years of outfield (with the Colorado Rockies). He knows there’s a guy down (in Triple-A) hitting .370. He saw him in spring training." Rizzo's power has broken out in a big way this season, as he sports a .337/.455/.738 batting line with 16 homers and 62 RBI. He won't turn 22 until August.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Ursa » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:47 pm

Hypothetically speaking, if the choice was Dominic Brown or Anthony Rizzo and you were looking for the most production in the most cats (obviously), it would be Rizzo, right?
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Montana168 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Ursa wrote:Hypothetically speaking, if the choice was Dominic Brown or Anthony Rizzo and you were looking for the most production in the most cats (obviously), it would be Rizzo, right?

In a standard 5x5 cat league, I would extremely disagree. Rizzo has been outstanding but lets keep in mind 2 HUGE factors working against Rizzo, (1) he is in the PCL in AAA, and (2) he will go from the hitter-friendly PCL, to the most pitcher-friendly park in the MLB, Petco. He also will have a horrible lineup around in him SD. Rizzo's K/BB rate is 2/1 this year as well, so hoping for more than a .260ish average in his rookie year is optimistic. Whereas Brown has a World Series caliber lineup around him, even if they are banged up and underperforming at the moment. Brown is also a MUCH more highly touted prospect than Rizzo is. Obviously that doesn't always relate to what happens in the MLB, but I would say the general consensus is the opposite of your assessment.
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Show » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Hawpe has actually been pretty solid recently, but a guy batting .377, .455 OBP, and a 1.193 OPS (along with the HRs and RBIs) in AAA has to see some playing time in majors this year.

From what I understand the Padres, once they call Rizzo up, want him to stay. They definitely can wait until Rizzo is 150% ready (his defense and K/BB could use some work) with Blanks also likely to come up.

As for Domonic Brown Vs. Rizzo, it could depend what you're looking for. Brown gives you more speed and Rizzo gives you more power. Brown is probably more well rounded and is in a better lineup. In the long-term it could just come down to if you rather have Adrian Gonzalez [Rizzo] or Matt Kemp [Brown]--personally I prefer to 5-tool guys.
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby Ursa » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:20 pm

Montana168 wrote:
Ursa wrote:Hypothetically speaking, if the choice was Dominic Brown or Anthony Rizzo and you were looking for the most production in the most cats (obviously), it would be Rizzo, right?

In a standard 5x5 cat league, I would extremely disagree. Rizzo has been outstanding but lets keep in mind 2 HUGE factors working against Rizzo, (1) he is in the PCL in AAA, and (2) he will go from the hitter-friendly PCL, to the most pitcher-friendly park in the MLB, Petco. He also will have a horrible lineup around in him SD. Rizzo's K/BB rate is 2/1 this year as well, so hoping for more than a .260ish average in his rookie year is optimistic. Whereas Brown has a World Series caliber lineup around him, even if they are banged up and underperforming at the moment. Brown is also a MUCH more highly touted prospect than Rizzo is. Obviously that doesn't always relate to what happens in the MLB, but I would say the general consensus is the opposite of your assessment.

You make an excellent case. Thanks for taking the time. I will stick with Brown for the time being although right now he is bolted to the bench. FWIW, our cats are standard except for the addition of OPS to the 5 usual ones.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Padsin05 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:36 pm

I totally didnt expect the Pads to even consider moving Hawpe back to the OF, hell they wont even let Ludwick play RF in Petco, and hes above avg defensively, now they are considering putting the worst OF in baseball back in RF

Brad Hawpe has been taking more flyballs in right field recently, an indication that he could be moved there while Anthony Rizzo takes his spot at first base.
When asked about the situation, Padres manager Bud Black didn't indicate that a Rizzo promotion is imminent, but he didn't exactly deny it, either. "Have I asked (Hawpe) to come into my office?" Black said. "Not yet. But have I said, ‘Hey, Brad, I want you to start taking some fly balls in the outfield off the bat?’ Yeah. Brad knows. He’s played seven years of outfield (with the Colorado Rockies). He knows there’s a guy down (in Triple-A) hitting .370. He saw him in spring training." Rizzo's power has broken out in a big way this season, as he sports a .337/.455/.738 batting line with 16 homers and 62 RBI. He won't turn 22 until August.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby j24jags » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Ursa wrote:
Montana168 wrote:

You make an excellent case. Thanks for taking the time. I will stick with Brown for the time being although right now he is bolted to the bench. FWIW, our cats are standard except for the addition of OPS to the 5 usual ones.

I agree with Montana here, I think Brown would definitely be my choice...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:45 pm

Even with Hawpe moving to the OF it doesn't guarantee that Rizzo would be promoted. It could still be Blanks since he has barely played OF this season (1st game yesterday I think). And a Blanks and Hawpe OF could be epically bad.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 174)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers