Which batter(s) to trade to improve pitching? WHIR 100% - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which batter(s) to trade to improve pitching? WHIR 100%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which batter(s) to trade to improve pitching? WHIR 100%

Postby RUnited » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:26 pm

I've asked similar questions over the last few days, but it seems not many agree with my ideas. So today I've decided to open up a debate as to how to improve my pitching rotation.

I'm in a shallow points league, no keeper:

C Montero
1 MCab
2 Pedroia
3 Bautista
SS Rollins
OF Crawford
OF Ellsbury
OF Bruce
Util Konerko
BN Beltre
BN Choo
DL Zimmerman

SP: Weaver, Ubaldo, Dan Hudson, Nolasco, CJ Wilson, Chacin, Garcia
RP: Marmol, Street, Feliz, Madson

The situation is this: in 2 weeks Zimmerman comes off the DL and I have to drop someone. Prime candidate for a drop is Choo, but I will be overloaded at 3B and Beltre will not get another game.

The league is a shallow one so not all good players can be sold. Players with good value for sale right now are MCab, Beltre, Konerko, and Ellsbury.

I need to add an ace to the rotation are my target has been Josh Beckett and maybe Scherzer. His owner is willing to let Beckett go for Beltre + Nolasco. Several people have said this is too costly for me and so I didn't go through with it.

If anyone has other ideas on who I should be looking to sell high on, I'd really appreciate it.

Also which pitcher should I target to drop or put into a package for sale? I really like CJ because he will notch up wins with Rangers. I also really like Beltre, but I have no place for him after Zimmerman returns.

I'm 60pts behind the leader, but my pitching is almost worst in the league in terms of recent form.

WHIR 100%
RUnited
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which batter(s) to trade to improve pitching? WHIR 100%

Postby smithmn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:31 pm

I honestly don't think Beltre/Nolasco for Beckett would be that bad for you. Your offense is loaded. You can afford to let go of Beltre, especially with Zimmerman coming back soon. Beckett has been solid this year, and is also protected by a powerhouse offense, which will get him a lot of wins. Nolasco has been good, but I don't see him keeping it up. He got whacked in his last start, and I feel like he will continue to decline. If you can try to get an other minor player back to justify it a little bit more, go for it. But your pitching needs help, Beckett will help.
smithmn
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby RUnited » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:58 pm

smithmn wrote:I honestly don't think Beltre/Nolasco for Beckett would be that bad for you. Your offense is loaded. You can afford to let go of Beltre, especially with Zimmerman coming back soon. Beckett has been solid this year, and is also protected by a powerhouse offense, which will get him a lot of wins. Nolasco has been good, but I don't see him keeping it up. He got whacked in his last start, and I feel like he will continue to decline. If you can try to get an other minor player back to justify it a little bit more, go for it. But your pitching needs help, Beckett will help.

He's willing to go for 2 for 2 trade, but I don't really need anyone since I have no space to accommodate Zimmerman's return otherwise... thanks for your advice. I think I might go back in for the deal.

I would rather trade using Ellsbury or Bruce as bait, but with Zimmerman coming back I am way overloaded at 3B... it will be bad to have to trade a top 40 player, but doesn't seem like I have a choice.
RUnited
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RUnited » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Bump. Anyone else?

Scherzer over Beckett? Or is Beckett the true ace that he seems to be every odd year?
RUnited
College Coach
College Coach

Postby whitheadsuxs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:48 pm

no no wait a second no trading beltre and nolasco for beckett you trade those two for like kershaw or cahill
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby whitheadsuxs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:54 pm

make a package out of beltre konerko and choo 2 of them for one great pitcher that makes sense since you are overloaded and cant play everybody with bautista to the outfeild zimmerman to 3bag utility id like to see you keep beltre

if you can move a konerko choo deal thatd be sick for like trevor cahill or josh johnson a big time pitcher not know so so who knows kinda guy

look for weak outfeild power teams and guys who need rbis and homeruns with konerko

and then if you cant find anything that you like on this deal look to package jay bruce in there with either konerko or choo and make sure u get stud top dawg ace pitcher if you have to throw bruce in there he leads the nl in homeruns go to power hungry teams with your offers
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RUnited » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:30 am

Is Cahill actually better than Beckett? I'm a rookie in fantasy baseball, so forgive my lack of knowledge on pitcher rankings.

Cahill's beginning of the season rankings stops me from going after him a bit... Beckett is a household name and been there and done that. Besides, my league is a points league that rewards high K's pitchers.

Is Cahill worth going after more than Beckett and Scherzer?
RUnited
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lupus yonderboy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:31 am

one thing i would consider is that, at least in my yahoo league, Bautista is eligable at OF. Do a little diggin and you'll find he's valued top shelf as compared to the other outfielders (just below Granderson, Bruce), and WAY over the other top third basemen (Prado? really??!).

i'm rockin Peralta and Polanco at third (i need to upgrade Placido) for a tentative first place in a pretty competitive 12 man league

and NEVER play Bautista at third unless it's for a scheduling thing where everyone else is all jammed up on a thursday.

i know nothing of your Paul Konerko, nor do i have knowledge of Josh Beckett. how you say, Co Nerk Co? Sorry no help there (where you probably need it most).
lupus yonderboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RUnited » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:15 am

lupus yonderboy wrote:one thing i would consider is that, at least in my yahoo league, Bautista is eligable at OF. Do a little diggin and you'll find he's valued top shelf as compared to the other outfielders (just below Granderson, Bruce), and WAY over the other top third basemen (Prado? really??!).

i'm rockin Peralta and Polanco at third (i need to upgrade Placido) for a tentative first place in a pretty competitive 12 man league

and NEVER play Bautista at third unless it's for a scheduling thing where everyone else is all jammed up on a thursday.

i know nothing of your Paul Konerko, nor do i have knowledge of Josh Beckett. how you say, Co Nerk Co? Sorry no help there (where you probably need it most).

Konerko is definitely a better player than Beltre in my books. He will get more points at the end of the season and his AVG is far better than Beltre.

I'm only using Bautista at 3B until Zimmerman returns. Meanwhile, I'm riding Bruce/Ellsbury/Crawford's hot bats. I have Choo on the bench and he's not working his magic.

The ultimate line up is Zimmerman at 3B, Bautista at OF along with Crawford and Bruce or Ellsbury.
RUnited
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions