12 team Pitching Staff (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

12 team Pitching Staff (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 team Pitching Staff (WHIR)

Postby jpbusta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:48 am

It's a 12 team 5x5 standard roto.
I wanted ppl's thoughts on my pitching staff. Please rate it or give me suggestions on what I can do to work on it.

My Team ERA is currently at 4.10 Whip is at 1.32

Here is my pitching staff:

SP - Halladay, Cliff Lee, Verlander, Scherzer, Cueto, Bedard
RP - Bailey, Valverde, Melancon, Adams, Crow
DL - Beachy

I acquired Verlander yesterday and last night's outing by Lee and Scherzer obviously screwed me over. However, I think I have the best pitching staff in my league yet I'm still in last place in ERA and Whip. Well, my pitching staff wasn't like this at the beginning of the season so it should explain a few things.

Anyways, is this pitching staff enough to end the season in the top 3 of all pitching cats?

Please leave a link and I WHIR. :-)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 team Pitching Staff (WHIR)

Postby RMoss1983 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 am

I think you'll be fine with that staff. Lee will come around (hopefully) and Scherzer has been pretty good other then his last start.
RMoss1983
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby V » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 am

SP - Halladay, Cliff Lee, Verlander, Scherzer, Cueto, Bedard
RP - Bailey, Valverde, Melancon, Adams, Crow
DL - Beachy

I'm a fan of the staff. Three of the top 5-10 pitchers in baseball plus a few other good ones (I'm not a huge Cueto fan, but he's been ok so far this year).

Any pitching staff with 3 top 10 pitchers is going to be ok ;-)
V
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zain1two3 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:48 am

I've had a nagging feeling that Lee hasn't been on form this whole season and if you have drafted him, you expect a certain quality. Yes he hasn't had a great run support, but when you drafted him you expected halladay type numbers..i can say this becaue I also drafted Lee and he has dissapointed. I don't think this is a case of him getting better as the season goes on because Cliff Lee looks off. Its a tough one. I'm not sure what I should do with him either. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=432194

Max Scherzer is a good pitcher I think you might have to be a bit careful of who he pitches against (bench him here and there) just like how I have to with Jusin Masterson. He's had 2 terrible outings in a row, but give him a bit of a leash.

Your pitching should do very well, good W potential, good K potential and good WHIP potential...

i have a very simllar pitching lineup to you (Halladay, Lee and Beachy) and I'm near the top end of pitching. You also have Verlander, which should mean you dominate the stats by season's end.
Zain1two3
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Bolthead04 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:52 am

You should be fine really. I wouldn't even worry about dredging the WW for any additions. You should be more than set with that group. :)
First Year-First Team

Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jpbusta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Zain1two3 wrote:I've had a nagging feeling that Lee hasn't been on form this whole season and if you have drafted him, you expect a certain quality. Yes he hasn't had a great run support, but when you drafted him you expected halladay type numbers..i can say this becaue I also drafted Lee and he has dissapointed. I don't think this is a case of him getting better as the season goes on because Cliff Lee looks off. Its a tough one. I'm not sure what I should do with him either. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=432194

Yea, I agree with you on that one. I was actually thinking of selling him after a few good starts if he could get his era near 3.00. However it's gone up to 3.94 after yesterday's start which makes it unreasonable for me to sell him at the moment. I'm just hoping he finds the problem to his troubles and becomes the dominant pitcher he can be.

thanks for your opinion. ;-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cmcdonal2001 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:56 pm

I'd definitely stay the course with this staff. Too many good arms for the numbers not to return to something more reasonable. Cueto and Bedard can be wild cards (although Bedard is quickly solidifying in my eyes; he's earned a roster spot on my staff as well), but you should be able to absorb a bad outing here or there without too much trouble from here on out.
cmcdonal2001
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BiGAnT » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:26 pm

I agree with everyone else, your staff is looking fine at the moment, and I think when all is said and done it is very possible for these guys to get your pitching stats into 3rd (or around there). I had the same problem early on with my staff and a high ERA, even with Halladay..I have been waiting it out, making some moves/pick ups here and there until I like where my staff is at and I've been staying the course, and my ERA is slowly lowering..so yes, I say stay with what you have. One thing..monitor Matusz's start tonight and see what he looks like..he can be a solid add for your staff if he can do what he's capable of doing! Good luck and thanks for the help with mine!! ;-D
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jeffkoz12 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for the help with mine.

Your staff looks solid. Lee will right the ship. Cueto, Scherzer, Bedard will be quietly good, with a few rough starts here and there (so watch those matchups).

Your RP might benefit a little tinkering -- I don't trust Crow in the closer slot, and I am not sold on Melancon -- but I wouldn't stress too much about it. Time will heal the wounds.
jeffkoz12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions