Matusz back, drop Morrow or Cueto??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Matusz back, drop Morrow or Cueto???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matusz back, drop Morrow or Cueto???

Postby s11mike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:42 am

Title says it all. Thanks for the help guys.
s11mike
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matusz back, drop Morrow or Cueto???

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:20 am

Cueto
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby jruffus1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 am

Why drop Cueto when he hasn't allowed more than 3 runs in a game. I'd let Morrow go.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:56 am

I have more faith in Morrow than i have Cueto going forward. I would rather drop someone else than either of these guys but if I had to choose, I like Morrow more long term.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:04 am

Honestly I don't know that Matusz warrants a drop of either of those guys. Sure everyone rants and raves about his talent, but what has he done this season? Nothing, he was hurt. What did he do last season? Not much, honestly. He showed flashes, and was better after the break, but he isn't a Cy Young candidate. Are you assuming he comes back with a flourish and starts dominating out of the gates? Are you that excited to start him against the bats of the AL East? Do you honestly think he will win many games with Baltimore? I'm sorry and I am not picking on you at all, just Matusz owners in general who treat him like a god. There are some things to like about the kid, but there are a lot of things not to like as well. I'm going against the grain and saying drop Matusz, or at least try to trade him, because I would rather have Cueto who is on a good team in a crappy division and pitching well, or Morrow who will rack up the K's and if he can get a little luck to even things out has superstar stuff than Matusz, who has as many question marks as anyone I can think of.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 771)

Postby mhuhn23 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 am

What is so alarming about a guy carrying a 2.20 ERA that people are dropping Cueto? Especially now considering his latest outing was a CG loss with 2 ER.
mhuhn23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jruffus1 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:24 pm

mhuhn23 wrote:What is so alarming about a guy carrying a 2.20 ERA that people are dropping Cueto? Especially now considering his latest outing was a CG loss with 2 ER.

;-D I am a big Cueto supporter as well, mostly because he's on my roster lol.
jruffus1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby ATLbraves » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:25 pm

rjforlife wrote:Honestly I don't know that Matusz warrants a drop of either of those guys. Sure everyone rants and raves about his talent, but what has he done this season? Nothing, he was hurt. What did he do last season? Not much, honestly. He showed flashes, and was better after the break, but he isn't a Cy Young candidate. Are you assuming he comes back with a flourish and starts dominating out of the gates? Are you that excited to start him against the bats of the AL East? Do you honestly think he will win many games with Baltimore? I'm sorry and I am not picking on you at all, just Matusz owners in general who treat him like a god. There are some things to like about the kid, but there are a lot of things not to like as well. I'm going against the grain and saying drop Matusz, or at least try to trade him, because I would rather have Cueto who is on a good team in a crappy division and pitching well, or Morrow who will rack up the K's and if he can get a little luck to even things out has superstar stuff than Matusz, who has as many question marks as anyone I can think of.

what he said^^^^ great post

I've never really understood why Matusz has gotten so much hype.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby s11mike » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone, I went with dropping Cueto.

RJ for life, the following exerpt best explains why everyone is so high on Matusz. Although it did pain me to drop Cueto, I just feel Matusz is ready to become the ace he has shown flashes of.

"Over his final 11 starts, he only twice allowed more than two earned runs, putting together a 7-1 record, a 2.18 ERA, and a 1.03 WHIP. He also recorded 7.5 strikeouts per nine innings during that stretch, reaffirming he has top-of-the-rotation type stuff. Some people will overlook Matusz because of his overall numbers or their early-season memories of him, but they're missing out on one of the biggest potential breakthroughs of 2011."
s11mike
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rjforlife » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:16 pm

s11mike wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone, I went with dropping Cueto.

RJ for life, the following exerpt best explains why everyone is so high on Matusz. Although it did pain me to drop Cueto, I just feel Matusz is ready to become the ace he has shown flashes of.

"Over his final 11 starts, he only twice allowed more than two earned runs, putting together a 7-1 record, a 2.18 ERA, and a 1.03 WHIP. He also recorded 7.5 strikeouts per nine innings during that stretch, reaffirming he has top-of-the-rotation type stuff. Some people will overlook Matusz because of his overall numbers or their early-season memories of him, but they're missing out on one of the biggest potential breakthroughs of 2011."

Do you know how many pitchers have had similar tidbits written about them? Small sample sizes mean very little, especially with a guy coming off the DL like Matusz is. He hasn't pitched in the majors since October 2, 2010. That's 242 days. There is going to be rust, and there is going to be a learning curve for him that I'm afraid you will now have to suffer through. I'm not rooting against you and I hope I'm wrong, but I think the good times for Matusz, if they ever happen, are a ways away.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 771)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions