Billy Butler???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Butler????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Billy Butler????

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 am

I'm not even worried about the 30+ HR power. Having a .400ish OBP guy in the lineup is a luxury the Royals haven't had in a very long time. I think the ideal role for Butler is to slot him ahead of Hosmer, right now he is just getting garbage pitches all the time. Assuming Betemit will be gone by the trade deadline and Moose it would be nice to see them run out Gordon - Butler - Hosmer - Francouer - Moose as the top 5.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Tavish wrote:I'm not even worried about the 30+ HR power. Having a .400ish OBP guy in the lineup is a luxury the Royals haven't had in a very long time. I think the ideal role for Butler is to slot him ahead of Hosmer, right now he is just getting garbage pitches all the time. Assuming Betemit will be gone by the trade deadline and Moose it would be nice to see them run out Gordon - Butler - Hosmer - Francouer - Moose as the top 5.

It's all about butler's perceived value to other teams. If someone is willing to pay a high enough price then the Royals would be foolish not to move him. The same could have been said about Soria last year. And at the end of the day he's an incredibly slow DH that will likely OPS between .800 and .850. Definitely valuable but not exactly an irreplaceable place. What's a realistic player comp for him? Sean Casey with no defensive value and a few more walks (higher OBP).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby jpbusta » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Tavish wrote:I'm not even worried about the 30+ HR power. Having a .400ish OBP guy in the lineup is a luxury the Royals haven't had in a very long time. I think the ideal role for Butler is to slot him ahead of Hosmer, right now he is just getting garbage pitches all the time. Assuming Betemit will be gone by the trade deadline and Moose it would be nice to see them run out Gordon - Butler - Hosmer - Francouer - Moose as the top 5.

I really can't picture a slow guy like him batting 2nd. Even if he has .400 obp. Speed is too big of a key factor when it comes to table setters. I do think he should be batting 4th switching places with Frenchy.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:20 pm

kab21 wrote:
Tavish wrote:I'm not even worried about the 30+ HR power. Having a .400ish OBP guy in the lineup is a luxury the Royals haven't had in a very long time. I think the ideal role for Butler is to slot him ahead of Hosmer, right now he is just getting garbage pitches all the time. Assuming Betemit will be gone by the trade deadline and Moose will be up it would be nice to see them run out Gordon - Butler - Hosmer - Francouer - Moose as the top 5.

It's all about butler's perceived value to other teams. If someone is willing to pay a high enough price then the Royals would be foolish not to move him. The same could have been said about Soria last year. And at the end of the day he's an incredibly slow DH that will likely OPS between .800 and .850. Definitely valuable but not exactly an irreplaceable place. What's a realistic player comp for him? Sean Casey with no defensive value and a few more walks (higher OBP).

It's not all about his perceived value to other teams, it is also about his value to this team. Obviously if someone is willing to give up their farm in order to get him you jump on the chance. But a 25 year old .400 OBP / .850 OPS that is signed to a team friendly contract for the next 4 seasons are not at all easy to replace.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers