Catchers- Chris Snyder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Catchers- Chris Snyder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Catchers- Chris Snyder?

Postby Lickitysplit131 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 am

I need a catcher bad. I am in a 16 team league and my current starter is John Buck who hit 3 HRs in 1 week and has 5 on the year and is hitting 206.

I just dropped Buck for Snyder. Doumit is likely headed to the DL so Snyder will get more starts behind the plate, and he is hitting 290 in 80 ABs or something like that. He is on a 4 game hitting streak as well

Should I expect Snyder to be a stable catcher for me, I don't know much about him
Lickitysplit131
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Catchers- Chris Snyder?

Postby kab21 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:59 am

Snyder is a .230 career hitter with good power. So pretty much you'll hate him as much as Buck in a month.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Lickitysplit131 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:25 am

Sonoma bitchay.

I need a sleeper catcher bad. This league I am in is ridicuolous, 16 teams, 4 Bench spots, and 1 DL spot.

Any ideas of a catcher I can flag for the future and to keep an eye on? The FA pool is pretty depleted so it cant be any decent name, has to be somebody deep
Lickitysplit131
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:30 am

At this point you're either giving up power to get an AJ Pierzynski type or avg to get a Snyder/Buck/Olivo type. You could watch Conger but he doesn't hit for a lot of power and right now his avg sucks also. Ramos is another to watch but he probably doesn't outplay the Snyder/buck/Olivo types especially as a rookie.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 160)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:09 pm

First, there's not much out there at this point in the year. That being said, here are a few options I've seen just from a quick glance at my league....

Snyder is not a terrible option. Low average, high power. Similar to Buck, but not as extreme.

Ryan Hanigan might be out there. He doesn't play every day (more or less splits time with Ramon Hernandez), but he hits a few HR (around 5 a year for his career) and should be able to put up a decent AVG (somewhere in the 260-270 range maybe, though with so few ABs AVG is really a crapshoot). Hanigan does have a nice 1:1 K:BB ratio so far this year though.

Nick Hundley is currently on the DL, but he should be coming off next week sometime. He'll probably hit somewhere in the .240-.250 range, and he's hit 8 HR in ~250 AB the past 2 years. Not pretty, but at least it's something.

Then you've got Devin Mesoraco, who's currently in AAA for the Reds. Dunno when he'll be up, but he currently has an .861 OPS in AAA with 5 HR and 4 2B in 166 AB. And he's only 22, which is nice.

If you're in a daily league, you could also try rotating catchers every day, and using the guy who has the best matchup/ is hot at that time. There are some decent-hitting catchers that are backups on their own team (David Ross comes to mind first; Ronny Paulino and Brayan Pena are other ok hitters). If you have the time, you could probably do ok by using some of these backup catchers on days when they are playing.

None of the options are great; there are a couple out there though.....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Baseball Leftovers