Roy Oswalt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Oswalt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roy Oswalt

Postby dmattingly23 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:21 pm

about to make a trade for him, but the velocity and K's are way down.

Anybody have any info on this? Is he just regaining arm strength from the time off? Or is something wrong?
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Roy Oswalt

Postby johnlee1986 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:22 pm

I think that'd just grandfather time catching up to him
If you have a question or like my responses follow me @_johnlee on Twitter
johnlee1986
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 29, 2011 1:25 pm

i traded for him when he was about to come back off the DL... gave up Jorge De La Rosa which at the time looked ok but i felt Rou offers a better track record, highly proven, knows how to pitch even when he doesnt have the best stuff and is on a better team for wins.

even though his K's have been down you really cant argue with how hes been producing as he has limited any runs scored on him and offers his team a chance for the win when he does pitch. I am not concerned at all with him and i do think he is a strong play moving forward.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dmattingly23 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:30 pm

HighHeater wrote:i traded for him when he was about to come back off the DL... gave up Jorge De La Rosa which at the time looked ok but i felt Rou offers a better track record, highly proven, knows how to pitch even when he doesnt have the best stuff and is on a better team for wins.

even though his K's have been down you really cant argue with how hes been producing as he has limited any runs scored on him and offers his team a chance for the win when he does pitch. I am not concerned at all with him and i do think he is a strong play moving forward.

Well the K's are a small part of it for me. It's the velocity that scares me. Usually with velocity drops like this, a complaint of a sore elbow isn't far behind.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby johnlee1986 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:33 pm

don't get me wrong, I think he's still a great pitcher, I recently traded Howie Kendrick for Roy. and I have him on 3 of my teams.

he does have a proven track record for success and he really knows hhow to use his stuff. alot of pitchers have good stuff but just don't know the situations to use it in or where to locate the ball at what time. I feel Roy is good at this and thus he doesn't need to reply on Ks to win games.
If you have a question or like my responses follow me @_johnlee on Twitter
johnlee1986
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Surfs up » Sun May 29, 2011 2:06 pm

I think as the weather warms up so will he. He'll be just fine. Maybe just needs a little more time to build up strength.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 198)

Postby HighHeater » Sun May 29, 2011 4:07 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:i traded for him when he was about to come back off the DL... gave up Jorge De La Rosa which at the time looked ok but i felt Rou offers a better track record, highly proven, knows how to pitch even when he doesnt have the best stuff and is on a better team for wins.

Well the K's are a small part of it for me. It's the velocity that scares me. Usually with velocity drops like this, a complaint of a sore elbow isn't far behind.

a back injury could help explain the velo loss as well, something he's still coming back from. In any event he still knows how to pitch and the velo drop with a guy like him isnt too concerning. He was hitting 96 on the stadium gun against Pujols and the birds when he came back just an FYI.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dmattingly23 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm guessing his back is still bothering him.

Now 5 straight starts with 3 K's or less.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dmattingly23 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:49 am

Well his velocity isn't coming back. And he's almost completely stopped throwing his curve and slider. Bascially a 2 pitch pitcher with a mediocre fastball.

I would just assume that he's just getting old. But everything was fine before he went on the DL with back/ personnal issues.

So is the back still bothering him, hiding an arm injury, or maybe just a dead arm?

Any Philly fans, or Oswalt owners got an idea on this?
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jpbusta » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:12 am

I'm guessing it's a mixture of both aging and back issues. His family problems in Mississippi might have some sort of effect on his mental issues also.

His velocities are down. His fastball, change-up, curve, slider. All have dropped in velocity.

His K/9 is down significantly. His career average is 7.38/9 and this season he's got 5.9/9.
He's just not fooling anybody. Hitters are making contact more than 90 percent of the time in his pitches in the strike zone and more than 75 percent outside the strike zone. His career numbers are 86/60. His swinging-strike percentage also dropped from 9.4 career percentage to 7.

I love drafting for players that I like even if I have to pay more than the market price. I ended up drafting all Halladay, Lee, Oswalt. I had no intention of getting rid of any of them where all three have been one of my favorites for a long time and now they happen to all be pitching for my team.

I traded away Oswalt after he came off the DL because he just didn't look good on the mound. It didn't seem like a one game struggle.

I think a lot of people were fooled by the 1.74 ERA he had last season pitching for the Phillies in 80+ innings.

I don't want to say he's done. However, I do think he is regressing with injuries.
He's the same age as Halladay, but a lot more fragile.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers