5/28 5/29 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Summer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/28 5/29 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Summer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Team in Baseball?

Poll ended at Mon May 30, 2011 5:09 am

Phillies
62%
Red Sox
38%

Total votes : 21

5/28 5/29 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Summer

Postby wrveres » Sat May 28, 2011 5:09 am

Two Start pitchers: Razzball - Roto Graphs - CBS - Cafe

Its Summer!!
Well not officially, that wont happen till the solstice on the 21st of next month, but for most people, Memorial day marks the beginning of summer. We have already had our time change, and it doesn't get dark till 8:30, so It's frigging summer

Whats that mean for fantasy? It means those ballparks in New York, Philly, Cincy, Texas and Arizona are going to turn into launching pads soon. Ive never read any study that says its true, but i am just basing this all on experience. My point? well, what was my point? oh! This is your last chance to buy low on sluggers from those teams. Oh and don't forget Chicago too. Heck i am actively pursuing Dunn as we speak. You should be too.

Need some help trading for that bat? Read this.
Drew Szczerba, Trading Starters: With so many hitters struggling these days, some of them are sure to be big names that are likely to rebound. Some owners have patience, but every league has a few owners that don’t. Now is the time to see if you can land a quality bat by offering a good starter. Hopefully, you’ll be able to trade a good pitcher knowing full well that the word “good” is all relative.
Im guessing by the looks of yesterdays thread, some of you need a Catcher?!? Heres some options. O:-)
J.P. Arencibia is transitioning to the role of everyday catcher. "We stated about 10 days or so ago that (C Jose Molina) would take more of a traditional backup type role," manager John Farrell said.
Arencibia will make an excellent replacement for this guy. The batting average wont be as good, but Arencibia has more power.
Buster Posey (ankle) is almost certain that he won't be back this season, but he is committed to remaining as a catcher in the big leagues.
Here's another option.
Kim Bhasin, Roto Medic: Ramon Hernandez (30% owned) – If you predicted during Spring Training that Hernandez would be batting .327 nearly two months into the season, people would call you crazy. The vet’s been swinging the bat as efficiently as any this year, and has contributed decent power numbers as well. Hernandez has never kept his average above .300 for a whole season, so don’t expect him to keep this up, but he’s certainly worth a look.
And one more.
R.J. White, Wide World of Waivers: Lucroy was mentioned as an afterthought in last week’s column, but he’s turned up the juices lately, homering in two of his last three games while posting back-to-back 2-for-4 days to raise his average to .333. He’s playing as well as any catcher out there right now and needs to be owned by any team dealing with mediocrity at the catcher position.
Mike Minor is up again. Do not pay attention to his MLB stats so far. Do add him to your watch list, at the minimum.
Josh Shepardson, Future Rookies: The loser of the battle for the fifth starting spot in the Braves rotation, Mike Minor has one poor start in the majors under his belt on the season, but looks to get a second and third chance to redeem himself on Wednesday and May 31. Minor has done about all that could be asked of him in the minors this year striking out over a batter an inning, limiting his walks, and recording more groundball outs than flyball outs. Much better than his 4.1 inning clunker against the Brewers would suggest, Minor is a solid speculative start against a below average Pirates offense this week. Keep an eye on that start, as he could prove himself worthy of another spot start in his second turn.
Who is Better, Ian Kennedy, or Daniel Hudson?
Vince Caramela: Looking at THT Forecasts, our Oliver projection system doesn’t see much regression for either Kennedy or Hudson (although a slight increase in home runs is expected for Hudson). According to projections for the rest of the year, Kennedy profiles for a 4.6 Wins Above Replacement (WAR) while Hudson comes in at 3.
Sandsapalooza
Jeffrey Gross: Sands is an impact player who is starting to heat up, and as the weather starts to get warmer, more of Sands' doubles should begin leave the yard. I still stand behind everything I wrote in Week 3, so consult that for further details on Jerry Sands and what I think he'll do this year (quick summary: "A .260 batting average with 20-25 home runs and double digit steals is entirely in the cards for the rest of the season if Sands is given regular playing time"). You are officially on notice and advised to make an immediate add, before other owners get wise. Recommendation: Jerry Sands is a top 60 outfielder who is a must-own player in NL-only and moderate sized mixed leagues. Sands, more so than Ryan Ludwick, should be owned as a quality source of a power off at least the bench in shallower leagues as well.
Prince Pineda
David GolebiewskiPineda has pitched like an ace from day one. The San Cristobal, D.R., native leads all qualified AL starters with 9.41 K/9, and his walk rate (2.16 per nine innings) ranks in the top 15 among Junior Circuit starters. His 2.98 xFIP is 24 percent better than the league average and is bested by only James Shields and King Felix in the AL. With a 71.2 first-pitch strike percentage, Pineda is getting ahead in the count 0-and-1 or getting batters to put the ball in play on the first pitch more frequently than any other big league starter. He’s also luring hitters to chase pitches out of the zone at the highest rate among starters, at 39.2 percent
More player news that interests me, and possibly you, but mostly me.
Aaron Harang's velocity has been up this year thanks to a tweak in his mechanics back in spring training with pitching coach Darren Balsley. Harang adopted a new delivery that lets him throw the ball free and easy
Alex Avila first started using a heavier bat in spring training at the suggestion of C Victor Martinez, and the move has paid off. Avila used to use a 31-ounce bat last year but has switched to a 33-ounce bat. He has already surpassed his home run total (seven) from last year and will occasionally go to a 32 1/2-ounce bat when he is tired. "The thinking behind a heavier bat is that when you hit the ball, you don't have to put as much effort in the swing for the ball to jump," Avila said. "I don't know how much that's helped, but it helps me concentrate on keeping things simple, rather than trying to do much or muscle up when I'm swinging." Avila is batting .292 with 27 RBIs and 17 runs scored this season out of the eighth spot in the lineup
Several clubs who have checked in with the San Diego Padres say that they are unwilling to talk trades for any of their players that they have in their control beyond this year, like RP Mike Adams. The Padres are, however, sending signals that they are willing to trade RP Heath Bell, OF Ryan Ludwick and RP Chad Qualls, who will all become free agents at the end of this year.
Goldie!
Paul Goldschmidt swatted two more home runs this week, giving him 16 HR's in 161 at-bats for Double-A Mobile. He has also hit for average, posting a .335 mark with a .466 on-base percentage and .696 slugging percentage.
Eric Hosmer went 4-for-7 with a double, home run, two runs scored and four RBIs Friday, against the Texas Rangers. Hosmer's homer came in the top of the 14th inning. He entered the game on a 2-for-20 (.100) slide.
Matt Joyce went 3-for-4 with a double, run scored and RBI Friday, against the Cleveland Indians. Joyce pumped up his major league-best batting average to .377
Gordon Beckham (eye) is being checked for fractures after being hit in the eye by a thrown ball Friday, against the Toronto Blue Jays. His eye is functioning normally, however
Bruce Bochy said OF Brandon Belt will see occasional starts at first base and in the outfield, but he will mostly be used off of the bench.
Eric Young Jr., who was recalled to give the team an offensive spark at the top of the lineup, will be playing center and right field with the team. He will not play any second base. The team will not move OF Carlos Gonzalez to center field to allow Young to play in left.
Charlie Manuel made it seem unlikely that the team would option OF Domonic Brown back to the minors when OF Shane Victorino (hamstring) returns from the disabled list. "We brought Domonic up here, he's going to get to play and we're going to get a look at him," Manuel said. "He has to hold his own and stuff like that, but I would never ever send him a message that we would think about sending him down because I'm not thinking that way at all."

Best Team in Baseball Standings
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Todays Games

Postby wrveres » Sat May 28, 2011 5:10 am

Today's Games - Today's (ugh) Weather - Bullpen Report - Press Pass

Two Start pitchers: Razzball - Roto Graphs - CBS - Cafe

WhiteSox (24-29) @ Blue Jays (25-26), 1:07pm
CHW: Edwin Jackson (27, RHP, 4-5, 4.26)
TOR: Carlos Villanueva (27, RHP, 2-0, 1.53)

Indians (30-18) @ Rays (27-23), 4:10pm
CLE: Carlos Carrasco (24, RHP, 3-2, 5.16)
TBR: James Shields (29, RHP, 5-2, 2.00)

Royals (23-27) @ Rangers (26-25), 7:10pm
KCR: Sean O'Sullivan (23, RHP, 2-3, 5.60)
TEX: Matt Harrison (25, LHP, 4-4, 3.62)

RedSox (29-22) @ Tigers (25-25), 7:10pm
BOS: Clay Buchholz (26, RHP, 4-3, 3.30)
DET: Andrew Oliver (23, LHP, 0-0, undef)

Angels (27-26) @ Twins (16-33), 7:10pm
LAA: Jered Weaver (28, RHP, 6-4, 2.35)
MIN: Anthony Swarzak (25, RHP, 0-2, 7.71)

Orioles (24-25) @ Athletics (25-27), 10:05pm
BAL: Brad Bergesen (25, RHP, 1-5, 5.64)
OAK: Josh Outman (26, LHP, 0-0, 1.29)

Yankees (27-22) @ Mariners (25-25), 10:10pm
NYY: Ivan Nova (24, RHP, 4-3, 4.29)
SEA: Felix Hernandez (25, RHP, 5-4, 3.01)

Padres (20-31) @ Nationals (22-28), 1:05pm ;-D
SDP: Tim Stauffer (29, RHP, 0-3, 3.88)
WSN: Jordan Zimmermann (25, RHP, 2-5, 3.98)

Pirates (23-26) @ Cubs (22-27), 1:05pm
PIT: Paul Maholm (29, LHP, 1-7, 3.65)
CHC: Randy Wells (28, RHP, 1-0, 1.50)

Giants (28-22) @ Brewers (27-24), 4:10pm
SFG: Jonathan Sanchez (28, LHP, 3-3, 3.47)
MIL: Randy Wolf (34, LHP, 4-4, 3.70)

D'backs (27-24) @ Astros (19-32), 7:05pm
ARI: Zach Duke (28, LHP, 0-0, undef)
HOU: Bud Norris (26, RHP, 2-3, 3.77)

Reds (27-25) @ Braves (28-24), 7:10pm
CIN: Bronson Arroyo (34, RHP, 3-5, 5.28)
ATL: Derek Lowe (38, RHP, 3-4, 3.53)

Cardinals (31-21) @ Rockies (24-26), 7:10pm
STL: Jaime Garcia (24, LHP, 5-0, 1.93)
COL: (2011, RHP, 0-0, undef)

Phillies (32-19) @ Mets (23-27), 7:10pm
PHI: Cole Hamels (27, LHP, 6-2, 3.06)
NYM: Mike Pelfrey (27, RHP, 3-4, 5.37)

Marlins (29-20) @ Dodgers (23-29), 10:10pm
FLA: Brian Sanches (32, RHP, 3-1, 1.52)
LAD: Hiroki Kuroda (36, RHP, 5-4, 3.11)
Last edited by wrveres on Sat May 28, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Re: 5/28 5/29 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Summ

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat May 28, 2011 8:35 am

Keep on doing your thing Shields. ;-D

I am going to battle with Buchholz and Kuroda today.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:54 am

Starting D Lowe.... only guy I have today, want some stats

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat May 28, 2011 10:14 am

For my final 2 starts of the week, I trot out...

Bronson Arroyo @ ATL, worries me given his last start and the DTD status he has had since it :-C
James Shields vs CLE, he needs to just keep doing what he's doing, and not look in a mirror and remember that he's James Shields :-C

I actually had 3 starts left in my allotment, but then Francisco Liriano got scratched today, and I can't add anybody for the rest of the week :-C :-C
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat May 28, 2011 10:17 am

Both Liriano and Wandy are injured for me today...so it looks like I get a few IP back on my roto cap.

An anxiety free day, no one going. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby jpbusta » Sat May 28, 2011 10:38 am

Picked up Villanueva to spot start against the whitesox. Who knows how that will go. :-°
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby aardvarks » Sat May 28, 2011 10:42 am

pokerplaya wrote:Both Liriano and Wandy are injured for me today...so it looks like I get a few IP back on my roto cap.

yeah me neither, but we're so close in the standings, I always lose a few points in K's everytime I don't have at least one started going :-[ .
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 79)

Postby The_Show » Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

Also somewhat glad Liriano is sitting today against LAA. One less decision I have to make :-°
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby pokerplaya » Sat May 28, 2011 10:49 am

aardvarks wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Both Liriano and Wandy are injured for me today...so it looks like I get a few IP back on my roto cap.

yeah me neither, but we're so close in the standings, I always lose a few points in K's everytime I don't have at least one started going :-[ .

Yeah I hear you...but it's more of a psychological change in the standings more than anything. More importantly (if you have a cap) is K/IP...I don't care if I lose a few points in K's, if I'm 25 IP below everyone else. ;-D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers