Done for now, will continue to update/reuse thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Done for now, will continue to update/reuse thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Done for now, will continue to update/reuse thread

Postby WhiteComet » Sat May 28, 2011 2:05 am

Hello everyone,

Need some tips and advice on who to swap in and out of my team. They are kind of struggling right now and I'm struggling to keep up with the leader. I'm currently in 2nd place and already 10 games behind!!

My league and team info:
Yahoo Fantasy H2H 12 Team 5x5 League (HR-AVG-SB-R-RBI | W-SV-ERA-WHIP-K)

1B - Albert Pujols, Adam Lind (DL), Eric Hosmer
2B - Ben Zobrist
3B - Chipper Jones
SS - Yunel Escobar, Jed Lowrie
C - Brian McCann
OF - Jose Bautista, Vladimir Guerrero, Jason Kubel, Jacoby Ellsbury
SP - C.C. Sabathia, Jon Lester, Trevor Cahill, C.J. Wilson, Alexi Ogando, Derek Lowe, Erik Bedard
RP - Kyle Farnsworth, Andrew Bailey, Fernando Salas

Players that I have interest in: (Note that all are FAs)
SP: Madison Bumgarner
OF: Josh Reddick (Boston)
SS: Brandon Crawford (San Francisco)
2B/3B: Justin Turner (Raking in Mets)
1B: Juan Miranda (Getting hot in Arizona)
2B/OF: Brent Lillibridge (Sizzling at the moment)
2B: Brett Lawrie (seems like he has a big chance of being called up in Mid-June)

The thing is that my team has no speed at all. I'm not sure if adding Juan Pierre would solve anything? Do you guys think I should drop Chipper and use Bautista to replace him @ 3B so I can free up an OF spot? Please help :( In a bit of panic mode right now.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Should I trade away my Heath Bell for Jacoby Ellsbury OR Justin Upton? Done deal, got Jacoby Ellsbury.
Last edited by WhiteComet on Tue May 31, 2011 9:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
WhiteComet Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Who to swap? WHIR!

Postby sigriffey » Sat May 28, 2011 2:36 am

Double check this, but I believe I heard whispers of Humber moving to the pen. If he does, I like Sanchez as a replacement.

I like the idea of Bautista at 3B but I'd make sure u have a good of alternative out there.

Help me out in this quick one?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=431840
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby berrymyers » Sat May 28, 2011 9:17 am

If you're going to do that then I'd try and swing a trade for an OF first. I don't like either of those options on FA for you. Maybe try and package Chipper and a 1B you have for a speedy OF. 3B could be a need for some teams with all the injuries lately and you could cash in on Hosmer's hype (if this is a non keeper, I don't think it says...)
20tm dynasty 5x5 w/BB,HLD
5 SP,3 RP
C-Martin
1B-Morneau,Fielder,Belt
2B-Phillips,JWeeks
3B-Zimm,Sizemore
SS-Furcal,Aviles,Casilla,Cozart
LF-Gordon
CF-C.Young
RF-J.Upton
SP-Peavy,Verlander,Bucholz,Shields,Carpenter,Matusz,Teheran
RP-Pap,Valverde,Clippard
berrymyers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jasonpm311 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:48 am

Go get Sanchez and dump Humber right now. That's the first thing. You need to get Salas, too, but I sat here for a few minutes and couldn't figure out a deal that'd free up room for him without knowing the rest of your league's teams. I do like the idea of moving Bautista to 3B to maximize his value...maybe you could deal Chipper, Kubel, and Farnsworth for two stud OF's and then picking up Salas?

Please help: viewtopic.php?t=431862
jasonpm311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WhiteComet » Sat May 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Thanks for the replies. This is my league http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/167144 and my team is Swift.

Now, with trading Chipper and possibly Hosmer, what kind of deal could I be looking at? I don't think anyone swung a trade yet in my league and this is the first time I'm playing. So...How much would it take to get someone like a Carl Crawford? He's real hot right now so he ain't going to be cheap...should've got him when he slumped badly :(

Or how about buying low on Evan Longoria?

With Anibal Sanchez, I don't know if he's pitching over his head or what. He's been great lately, but so has Humber. The only difference is the K rate, where Humber is more of a pitch to contact pitcher. The way he's pitching, I don't know if the WS want him back in the pen.

I just dumped Villanueva, so much for banking on him for a great outing, turns out to be a disaster...added Salas.

Looking forward to more advice :)

Yes, this is a non-keeper I believe...

I just added Justin Turner, Brent Lillibridge and Juan Miranda on the SUGGESTION list. All are kind of raking right now but I question their playing time
WhiteComet Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby misterf » Sat May 28, 2011 9:41 pm

thanks for help with mine.

Bautista is definitely your 3B......its a lot easier to find servicable OF's than 3B's......you should be able to find an OF that is better than Chipper (I gave up on Chipper a few years ago).

I also agree that Hosmer is great trade bait for you. And definitely try to trade Chipper.....not sure if you will find a buyer, but clearly worth a try. Hosmer should be able to get yo a decent OF....maybe even a guy with some speed.

In terms of who to pick up, the only guys you listed that I like long-term are Sanchez and Salas. I nwould never pass up the opportunity to grab a closer.......if nothing else they become great bargaining chips when/if they establish themselves. And I think Anibal Sanchez is a legit #3 or #4 fantasy SP. In fact, I like Sanchez much more than Villanueva, Humber, Bedard and even Lowe. Sanchez is a "no-brainer" pick up.

I'm not sold on any of the other guys. Now, I am not agains picking up guys on a hot-streak.....as long as you dump them for the next guy on a hot streak as soon as they cool off. Definitely don't fall in love with those guys.....you have to understand that they are temporary members of your team.

Pierre is an interesting case......he does give you steals, but he costs you at just about every other category. I need steals in my league too......but I am avoiding Pierre (who is available).....so I guess I can't recommend him. There is a reason he is available. You would have to mench somebody else to play pierre....and whoever you bench would likely help you much more than Pierre.

***The most important advice for you, though, is DONT PANIC! You are in second place....and there is a lot of season left to play. YOur team is in great shape. If you over-react and try to overhaul your team...especially with marginal players who just happen to be in the middle of a hot streak right now...... you are much more likely to do much more harm than good. You are probably much better off making several small tweaks to improve your team. Remember, only one team in your league is doing better than you are......10 other managers in your league would love to be in your position right now!
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Re: Heath Bell for Jacoby Ellsbury? WHIR!

Postby WhiteComet » Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 am

Hey Misterf, no problem. Thing is the gap between me and the rest of the league isn't all that big, however, 2nd place to 1st place's gap is already 10 games, which is ridiculous. Trying to do whatever I can just to catch up.

Now here's an update:
Should I trade away Heath Bell for Jacoby Ellsbury or Justin Upton??
Last edited by WhiteComet on Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteComet Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Sun May 29, 2011 2:00 am

WhiteComet wrote:
Should I trade away Heath Bell for Jacoby Ellsbury?

This is a no brainer...Bell is a stud closer, but Ellsbury is a stud OF, you can move Bautista to 3B, and you need the SB. Plus, there are a lot of rumors that Bell will get traded so he might not even be a closer near the trade deadline...give me the stud hitter over the stud pitcher.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby WhiteComet » Sun May 29, 2011 2:09 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:
WhiteComet wrote:
Should I trade away Heath Bell for Jacoby Ellsbury?

This is a no brainer...Bell is a stud closer, but Ellsbury is a stud OF, you can move Bautista to 3B, and you need the SB. Plus, there are a lot of rumors that Bell will get traded so he might not even be a closer near the trade deadline...give me the stud hitter over the stud pitcher.

Hey balco between justin upton
and ellsbury which would be a better deal?
WhiteComet Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby lbblue » Sun May 29, 2011 2:15 am

WhiteComet wrote:Should I trade away Heath Bell for Jacoby Ellsbury or Justin Upton??

Do with teh quickness. I'd go Ellsbury over Upton. Ellsbury would hugely upgrade your OF and you should be OK with the RP you have as long as Bailey is back soon and stays healthy. I'd jump on that trade.

Help?
viewtopic.php?t=431914
lbblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions