Time to give up on Dunn? Please help! WHIR. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Time to give up on Dunn? Please help! WHIR.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to give up on Dunn? Please help! WHIR.

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Fri May 27, 2011 9:13 am

Dunn's early struggles were excusable (returning from injury, etc.), but at this point I have to make a decision on whether he is going to return to form or not. My team is a healthy 7-0 in a 12 team keeper points league, with a 200 point lead in total points, so there is no urgency to make a move (but I am always trying to get better). Stephen Drew and Jason Bay are available on the waiver wire as replacements. Is it time to give up on Dunn?

Team: McCann, Fielder, Cano, Youkilis, Tulo, Kemp, McCutchen, Ellsbury, Bruce, J. Upton, Dunn, Billingsly, Oswalt, Carpenter, Latos, Marcum, J. Sanchez, W. Rodriguez, Zambrano, Garza, A. Bailey, D. Storen, H. Bell

Scoring Details:
Singles: 1 point
Doubles: 2 points
Triples: 3 points
Walks (Batters): 1 point
Errors: -1 point
Home Runs: 4 points
Strikeouts (Batter): -1 point
Runs: 1 point
Runs Batted In: 1 point
Stolen Bases: 1 point
Caught Stealing: -1 point
Last edited by GardnerRunsRampant on Fri May 27, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Time to give up on Dunn? Please help! WHIR.

Postby jimmycolorado » Fri May 27, 2011 11:46 am

Is that correct: singles are "-1 point"? That would make the league very interesting! I'm not in love with the options you've mentioned on the WW. Earlier in the year, I believed this was going to be Drew's coming out party. It really hasn't born out that way. However, Dunn is basically unstartable in a points league like the one you have. The K's probably have him hovering at the break even point! I used to love Dunn because he was a second-half stud; the last three seasons, though, he's faded severely post-All Star break. I no longer believe in his ability to turn things around.

If I was in your position (first place, undefeated, enormous lead in points, studs at all the important positions) yeah, I'd be inclined to take some risks. Dropping Dunn for Drew I probably wouldn't do at this juncture, as Drew would be a Monday/Thursday backup to Tulo, but at the same time, I wouldn't start Dunn period. Bay doesn't even need to be mentioned. He's not a good player anymore. Mets + concussion = :-t So, wait it out. Leave Dunn on the bench until you have a pressing need for that roster spot.
jimmycolorado
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Fri May 27, 2011 12:09 pm

jimmycolorado wrote:Is that correct: singles are "-1 point"? That would make the league very interesting! I'm not in love with the options you've mentioned on the WW. Earlier in the year, I believed this was going to be Drew's coming out party. It really hasn't born out that way. However, Dunn is basically unstartable in a points league like the one you have. The K's probably have him hovering at the break even point! I used to love Dunn because he was a second-half stud; the last three seasons, though, he's faded severely post-All Star break. I no longer believe in his ability to turn things around.

If I was in your position (first place, undefeated, enormous lead in points, studs at all the important positions) yeah, I'd be inclined to take some risks. Dropping Dunn for Drew I probably wouldn't do at this juncture, as Drew would be a Monday/Thursday backup to Tulo, but at the same time, I wouldn't start Dunn period. Bay doesn't even need to be mentioned. He's not a good player anymore. Mets + concussion = :-t So, wait it out. Leave Dunn on the bench until you have a pressing need for that roster spot.

Typo. Singles are worth 1 point. We start 11 hitters (C,1b,2b,3b,ss,of,of,of,of,dh,util). Dunn is currently my util. Would Drew or Bay be an upgrade to him is the question?

On the side, I am trying to trade the dumb owner in our league Drew Storen for Shane Victorino. If I can get him to accept this, then I will probably drop Dunn when Victorino returns from the DL.

I have to say that I am disappointed with Dunn. An owner dropped him a month ago, and I snatched him up thinking there was no way this slide would continue. Has he really lost it completely? Is there any hope for a surge this summer? If so, I am definitely interested in him on my team, but most likely I can waiver him and pick him up later.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby figurski24 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Since you have rode Dunn this long I think you should just stick with him, he can't get any worse. No one on the waiver wire stands out to me and like you said you aren't in need of anyone because you are currently in first. Stick with Dunn and hope for the best.

Please help me out ----> viewtopic.php?f=26&t=431617
figurski24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Stick with Dunn. He's better than the WW material. I'd probably let him ride the pine until he gets something going, but you just have to think he's going to go on a 1-2 month hot streak in the summer where he'll be one of the best power/RBI guys around. Have patience.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm

So I was able to get Victorino for Storen. When that goes through, do I drop Dunn for a SP or just have him waste a bench spot until he does better. I doubt anybody would pick him up, and if they did so what, my hitting won't suffer. Hudson, Dempster, and E. Jackson are my waiver options.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions