5/27 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Wine. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/27 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Wine.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scott Cousins was

Poll ended at Sat May 28, 2011 5:54 am

Out
18%
Safe
82%

Total votes : 17

5/27 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Wine.

Postby wrveres » Fri May 27, 2011 5:54 am

okay, i will. ;-)
GiantsFan14 wrote:then go make your own thread and whine about us whining.
$10.00 Merlot
Cousins sat out Thursday afternoon's game with a stiff neck and a jammed shoulder from the collision. He said he wouldn't advocate changing the rules in regard to plays at the plate. "I understand it was a clean play and that it was the play that needed to be made at that time, but I didn't want anyone to get hurt," he said. "There are definitely risks of being a catcher. That's one of the ugliest plays in baseball. "If I saw a clean lane to slide, that's the play I'm making. I have speed and like to believe I'm going to beat the ball. But there was no chance on that play. It was a game-changing play in extra innings, and I had to play as hard as I could." Cousins crawled over to check on Posey immediately after scoring. He was chased away from the catcher by angry Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "I knew I hit him really hard," Cousins said. "I didn't know his foot was caught underneath. I committed to it. I went in there hard. My instinct was just to check and make sure everyone was OK. I wanted to be a good sportsman about it. It is part of the game, but it's a hard-nosed part of the game. You can't change it, but you certainly don't want anyone to get hurt. I wanted to knock the ball clean out of his glove, but I certainly didn't want him to get hurt."
White Zin, in a box.
(You know Bruce, the guys your best hitter. Why you have him behind the plate is anyones guess. You're an ex catcher. You know this.)
Raising Matt Cain: "It's part of baseball," said Bochy, a former catcher. "I understand that guys run into catchers. I do think we need to consider changing the rules here a little bit because catchers are so vulnerable. ... Here's a guy [Posey] who's very popular in baseball. Fans want to see him play and now he's out for a while. So I'd like to see something considered where we can protect these guys a little bit more. They just don't have that protection to take a guy coming in full speed with that kind of force."
Wild Irish Rose
Only Baseball Matters: Posey had already taken several hard foul tips off his mask and legs this season, even leaving one game for precautionary reasons to make sure he didn’t have a concussion. Some observers have argued a slugger of his caliber shouldn’t be behind the plate, where hits can be routine, and this injury surely won’t do much to quiet that sentiment. Posey himself has always shaken off those remarks, saying he was born to play catcher and loves his position.
Night Train
obsessivegiantscompulsive: As far as I know, runners aren't allow to run into the firstbaseman, secondbaseman, shortstop, or thirdbaseman to jar the ball loose. At least any more, there used to be more danger for infielders long ago, and the MLB rightfully changed the rules to protect the fielders better. Yet the MLB allows open season on the catcher like this, which is not allowed in any level of amateur baseball. How many more Rookies of the Year, rising stars will the MLB lose before they try to do something about this?
Ripple
McCovey Chronicles: there has to be a way to eliminate crazy-violent collisions at home plate. You can't decimate a catcher in college. They're able to enforce that somehow. There's no way to eliminate contact altogether, but there's a way to eliminate the strategy of plowing into a catcher so hard that he drops the ball. We're storming the administration building, folks. We're going to burn bras and draft cards and effigies, and we'll get this fixed. After we stop openly weeping.
Cisco
Dave Cameron: I was a catcher in high school, and I was trained how to block the plate while trying to keep myself alive. High School isn’t MLB, but I still found myself in a few situations where a significantly larger player was barreling towards me at full speed, and I realized that I had to stop being a baseball player and start being a gladiator. It was ridiculous to me then and is ridiculous to me now
Mad Dog 20/20
Bay City Ball: Status quo is stupid. If we also marched, stumbled, and drooled to this old drum, black people would have their own league, not able to compete in the “Major” leagues. In this country, we fight for what’s right. We challenge conventions that have been around forever. Woman weren’t able to vote; they now out-vote men. Black people couldn’t play Major League Baseball, and now they’re among the most celebrated and talented players in the games great history. Black people weren’t allowed to vote; a black man is now President. Gays weren’t allowed in the military; gays now fight for our freedom. Gays weren’t allowed to marry; well, we’re still working on that one.
Thunderbird
(Clearly, Buster Posey moves to block the plate. Not sure what video you guys are watching)
Neyer: Catchers should not be allowed to block home plate without the ball, and in fact the rules prohibit them from doing exactly that. But the umpires allow them to block the plate — this is what Joe refers to as “the de facto legalization of obstruction — and this leads to a serious injury or two every season. Runners should not be allowed to devastate catchers. They shouldn’t be allowed to devastate catchers who are blocking the plate, and they absolutely should not be allowed to devastate catchers who are not blocking the plate. Watch the play again. Buster Posey did not have the ball. Buster Posey was not blocking the plate. Scott Cousins had to alter his path to slam into Buster Posey. You can’t really fault Cousins because his behavior has become normal.

Cristal ;-D
Passan: Let’s be honest: If Eli Whiteside got destroyed by Scott Cousins and snapped his leg, the baseball world would’ve shrugged and moved on. That’s what this hand-wringing over plays at the plate is about. Not safety. Not conscientiousness. It’s using the stature of the person who really got injured – Buster Posey – and the gruesome nature of the injury to push for unnecessary rule changes.

And they ignore one simple fact: In an extra-innings, tie game between two teams that expect to contend, a run was at stake – ultimately the winning run – and two men prepared to duel for it. There is something admirable about their bravery, no matter how gladiatorial. Both were determined to do everything they could Wednesday to end up on the right side of that play. Cousins, a reserve outfielder for the Florida Marlins, wanted to score. Posey wanted to prevent him from scoring. Wherein almost all of baseball’s one-on-one situations involve pitcher vs. hitter, this was a test of skill, toughness, gamesmanship and hunger. A run could mean the difference between a playoff appearance and an October at home.

Baseball should live for these situations, not bemoan them. It was not Cousins’ intent to injure; that’s never the runner’s motivation. He craved the run because of what it meant to his team, and if scoring it necessitated him winding up his arms and plowing into Posey to jar the ball loose, so be it. The aesthetics were unfortunate. The fashion in which Posey’s leg dangled afterward was, too.

The run certainly wasn’t.

Jeff, thank you for explaining it best.
Marlins won.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/27 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Wine.

Postby rjforlife » Fri May 27, 2011 5:57 am

Only you bud..... :-b

Starting Gio at home vs. The OrangeBirds. For some reason I expect only mediocrity.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 766)

Todays Games

Postby wrveres » Fri May 27, 2011 6:01 am

Giants Suck

Today's Games - Today's (ugh) Weather - Bullpen Report - Press Pass

RedSox (28-22) @ Tigers (25-24), 7:05pm
BOS: Tim Wakefield (44, RHP, 1-1, 4.50)
DET: Rick Porcello (22, RHP, 4-2, 3.08)

WhiteSox (24-28) @ Blue Jays (24-26), 7:07pm
CHW: Mark Buehrle (32, LHP, 4-3, 3.92)
TOR: Kyle Drabek (23, RHP, 3-3, 4.34)

Indians (30-17) @ Rays (26-23), 7:10pm ;-D
CLE: Josh Tomlin (26, RHP, 6-1, 2.41)
TBR: David Price (25, LHP, 5-4, 3.89)

Royals (22-27) @ Rangers (26-24), 8:05pm
KCR: Nathan Adcock (23, RHP, 1-0, 1.66)
TEX: Colby Lewis (31, RHP, 4-5, 3.69)

Angels (26-26) @ Twins (16-32), 8:10pm
LAA: Tyler Chatwood (21, RHP, 3-2, 4.06)
MIN: Scott Baker (29, RHP, 2-3, 4.12)

Orioles (24-24) @ Athletics (24-27), 10:05pm
BAL: Chris Tillman (23, RHP, 2-3, 4.95)
OAK: Gio Gonzalez (25, LHP, 5-2, 2.20)

Yankees (27-21) @ Mariners (24-25), 10:10pm
NYY: A.J. Burnett (34, RHP, 5-3, 4.02)
SEA: Michael Pineda (22, RHP, 6-2, 2.16)

Pirates (22-26) @ Cubs (22-26), 2:20pm
PIT: Kevin Correia (30, RHP, 6-4, 3.84)
CHC: Doug Davis (35, LHP, 0-2, 8.31)

Padres (20-30) @ Nationals (21-28), 7:05pm
SDP: Clayton Richard (27, LHP, 2-5, 4.85)
WSN: John Lannan (26, LHP, 2-5, 5.03)

Phillies (31-19) @ Mets (23-26), 7:10pm
PHI: Roy Oswalt (33, RHP, 3-2, 2.77)
NYM: Chris Capuano (32, LHP, 3-5, 5.36)

Reds (26-25) @ Braves (28-23), 7:35pm
CIN: Mike Leake (23, RHP, 3-2, 5.70)
ATL: Tommy Hanson (24, RHP, 5-3, 2.72)

D'backs (26-24) @ Astros (19-31), 8:05pm
ARI: Daniel Hudson (24, RHP, 5-5, 3.82)
HOU: Brett Myers (30, RHP, 1-4, 5.00)

Giants (27-22) @ Brewers (27-23), 8:10pm ;-D ;-D
SFG: Tim Lincecum (27, RHP, 4-4, 2.06) isnt he overdue for a piss test?
MIL: Shaun Marcum (29, RHP, 6-1, 2.37)

Cardinals (30-21) @ Rockies (24-25), 8:40pm
STL: Jake Westbrook (33, RHP, 4-3, 5.17)
COL: Ubaldo Jimenez (27, RHP, 0-4, 5.44)

Marlins (29-19) @ Dodgers (22-29), 10:10pm
FLA: Javier Vazquez (35, RHP, 3-4, 6.41)
LAD: Jon Garland (31, RHP, 1-4, 4.75)

Starting: Ive got Hanson, Pineda, Baker, Hudson on the mound today.
Sitting: Clayton Richard
Im so smart: Sanchez and Anderson yesterday. Bailey on the bench across the board.
Last edited by wrveres on Fri May 27, 2011 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Fri May 27, 2011 6:11 am

rjforlife wrote:Only you bud..... :-b
:-]
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 am

Bay City Ball: Status quo is stupid. If we also marched, stumbled, and drooled to this old drum, black people would have their own league, not able to compete in the “Major” leagues. In this country, we fight for what’s right. We challenge conventions that have been around forever. Woman weren’t able to vote; they now out-vote men. Black people couldn’t play Major League Baseball, and now they’re among the most celebrated and talented players in the games great history. Black people weren’t allowed to vote; a black man is now President. Gays weren’t allowed in the military; gays now fight for our freedom. Gays weren’t allowed to marry; well, we’re still working on that one.

LOL WUT
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jpbusta » Fri May 27, 2011 7:21 am

I have oswalt going for me today against the mets.

I can't recover from the outings from Scherzer, Bailey, and Balfour..

3 of them combined for 14 earned runs in 7 innings. :-P
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CharlatanSin » Fri May 27, 2011 7:46 am

Sitting Ubaldo against the Cards. He hasn't worked his way back to must-start status yet, though I'd obviously love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong, even from my bench.

Hoping to get Holliday and Ethier back in action.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Fri May 27, 2011 8:06 am

no. not crazy at all.
Craig Calcaterra
Marlins 1, Giants 0: Anibal Sanchez with the shutout and Ryan Vogelsong took a tough loss. And at the risk of being a big jerk here, am I crazy for thinking that the articles about the Giants that have taken on a tone of mourning over the Posey injury are a bit much? It sucks. It's awful. You have to love a young talent like Buster Posey and it's not at all cool to see him get knocked out for the season. But the "it was tough for Vogelsong to take the mound" and the "with the home fans stunned and grieving" rebop is laying it on a bit thick. It's sports. Injuries like this happen several times a year. I don't recall anyone talking about "mourning" Kendrys Morales' injury last year. Or Jorge De La Rosa's. Or Stephen Strasburg's. Please move past this, people ...somehow.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thejusman1 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:36 am

CharlatanSin wrote:

LOL WUT

Yeah, that's ridiculous and kind of offensive. Comparing MLB's reluctance to change a minor rule to the Civil Rights Movement is absurd, and to be honest, kind of offensive. The journalist who wrote that is a tool.
Last edited by thejusman1 on Fri May 27, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri May 27, 2011 9:39 am

Here's to Porcello!
ok so what if it's a H2H league where I'm already down big in ERA/Whip :-B
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers