Juan Nicasio - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan Nicasio

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan Nicasio

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Despite being 24 years old, Nicasio has shined with Double-A Tulsa this year and is 5-1 with a 2.22 ERA in nine starts. He owns impressive control, boasting a 63:10 K:BB ratio which has contributed to a glistening 1.02 WHIP. He earns a tough assignment against the Cardinals, who are first in the majors in runs scored and batting average. But with a fastball that can reach 100 mph, Fantasy owners should consider Nicasio a decent SP option in NL-only formats.
CBS

63:10 K:BB ratio and a 100 mph fastball...what is the deal? Haven't really heard his name kicked around the boards.
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Juan Nicasio

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 pm

AmazinMeTS86 wrote:
Despite being 24 years old, Nicasio has shined with Double-A Tulsa this year and is 5-1 with a 2.22 ERA in nine starts. He owns impressive control, boasting a 63:10 K:BB ratio which has contributed to a glistening 1.02 WHIP. He earns a tough assignment against the Cardinals, who are first in the majors in runs scored and batting average. But with a fastball that can reach 100 mph, Fantasy owners should consider Nicasio a decent SP option in NL-only formats.
CBS

63:10 K:BB ratio and a 100 mph fastball...what is the deal? Haven't really heard his name kicked around the boards.

"24 years old ... Double-A Tulsa" could have something to do with it. He's been a couple years old for each level he's played at. It's a lot easier to rack up a bunch of Ks in the low minors with a 1000 MPH heater, but it takes a lot more than that in the majors. Still, worth a flier if you have room because you never know who has what it takes.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 177)

Postby Philliebuster » Fri May 27, 2011 9:36 am

I'm getting a little excited about the kid...

Nicasio has used what is said to be a major-league fastball to make a mark through the Rockies' farm system. At 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, he's a classic right-handed pitcher.

Nicasio is 26-14 the past three seasons. Going into this season, he had 404 strikeouts and 94 walks in five seasons in the Rockies' system.

"He dominates the bottom of the strike zone," Apodaca said. "He has no fear. The trick here is he has to think he's pitching another Texas League game. The faces may change, but what he has to do doesn't change."
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Fri May 27, 2011 11:53 am

He's similar to a decent number of non-drafted guys out of the islands...most have good stuff and they usually spend more time in the low minors than most due to where they come from. He looks like he's keep his good periphials as he goes up in levels...even if he is a couple years older than what you'd see top rated prospects as. His main thing will be maintain the good control because that's what usually is the issue with most of these guys.

Mark me interested...
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 pm

J35J wrote:He's similar to a decent number of non-drafted guys out of the islands...most have good stuff and they usually spend more time in the low minors than most due to where they come from. He looks like he's keep his good periphials as he goes up in levels...even if he is a couple years older than what you'd see top rated prospects as. His main thing will be maintain the good control because that's what usually is the issue with most of these guys.

Mark me interested...

do the rockies scouts lead the league in finding south american pitching prospects with serious heat?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby Philliebuster » Fri May 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Oh yeah, and thanks for the tip Amazins...it is one of my favorite things onthese forums to see a post with a player name of a guy I seemingly never heard of....to see that he is being called up and has a shot a being a potential talent.

I researched and seen enought to take a flier on him in my main keeper...
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AmazinMeTS86 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Philliebuster wrote:Oh yeah, and thanks for the tip Amazins...it is one of my favorite things onthese forums to see a post with a player name of a guy I seemingly never heard of....to see that he is being called up and has a shot a being a potential talent.

I researched and seen enought to take a flier on him in my main keeper...

Awesome! My interest is peaked as well. Thanks for the input fellas...think I might take a flier as well. Have zero faith in Piniero and would much rather him on someone else's roster.
AmazinMeTS86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Sat May 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Nice debut. It always helps when you get 15 runs of support.

88 PC, 7 INN, 6 HA, 2 BBI, 2 K, 1.143 WHIP, W
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 791)

Postby thecrownjewels » Mon May 30, 2011 2:14 am

Does anyone know how the Rockies are going to use him going forward? Will he get a regular turn? Thanks for any help...
thecrownjewels
College Coach
College Coach

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 pm

thecrownjewels wrote:Does anyone know how the Rockies are going to use him going forward? Will he get a regular turn? Thanks for any help...

I think he'll likely be the one sent down when Cook returns this week.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers