J.Upton, Britton, C.Perez for Rajai Davis, Price, Carpenter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

J.Upton, Britton, C.Perez for Rajai Davis, Price, Carpenter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

J.Upton, Britton, C.Perez for Rajai Davis, Price, Carpenter

Postby V » Thu May 26, 2011 8:47 am

5x5 Roto, 3 keepers

I had offered J.Upton, Britton, C.Perez for Price, Hamels, Rajai Davis, and he returned with the same deal and Chris Carpenter replacing Hamels. I need pitching (top offense, below average pitching). No doubter for me, right?

My team:
C: J.P. Arencibia
1B: Kevin Youkilis
2B: Neil Walker
3B: Evan Longoria
SS: Jhonny Peralta
IF: Lance Berkman
OF: Justin Upton
OF: Matt Joyce
OF: Curtis Granderson
OF: Michael Bourn
U: David Ortiz
BN: Jayson Werth
BN: Aaron Hill
DL: Grady Sizemore

SP: CC Sabathia
SP: Tommy Hanson
SP: Mat Latos
RP: Chris Perez
RP: John Axford
P: Josh Beckett
P: Mark Melancon
P: Ryan Madson
P: Zach Britton
BN: Eric Bedard
DL: Andrew Bailey
V
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: J.Upton, Britton, C.Perez for Rajai Davis, Price, Carpen

Postby Leesville Sluggers » Thu May 26, 2011 10:06 am

How competitive are saves/closers in your league? It seems risky to me to trade perez, with axford being your only other solid closer. Lidge could be back in a few weeks and could possibly replace madson. And who knows what happens with the houston bullpen with melancon.

I would much rather have hamels than carpenter. At this point, carpenter and britton seem like an even deal right now.
Leesville Sluggers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby V » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am

Well, I'm not the fastest guy on the waiver wire, but I grabbed Madson and Melancon after they 'won' the jobs.

League is VERY stratified with respect to saves (66, 55, 36, 35, 29, 20, 20, 15, 14, 14, 14 8) (I'm the bolded 36); two guys each have 5 closers, and when Bailey comes back, I do too. Guy I'm dealing with has 20 saves, so I'd be giving him a couple points in saves, but I'm going to lose at most 2 most likely. And given my track record on jumping on replacements, I'm not afraid of losing out if, for example, Uehara wins the job, etc.

Bailey's coming back Friday, and the job is his to lose, and the Astros and Phillies' managers have claimed that Melancon and Madson are current 'the closer's.

I agree that Hamels > Carpenter, especially since I really need Ks. I'll see if I can't finagle an extra player on my end, or Rajai Davis dropped from his end, in order to facilitate the difference.
V
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Leesville Sluggers » Thu May 26, 2011 10:58 am

Yea, maybe losing perez wont be as big of a hit as i first thought. Bailey should be back very soon, and should be top notch assuming he stays healthy. It looks like madson is going to be the permanent closer this year, with the phillies talking about trading lidge. So i would say youre in good shape with axford, madson, and bailey. Not so sure what will happen in the astros bullpen once lyon comes back...but atleast youre riding melancon while he's hot.

Like i said earlier...for me, britton and carpenter are even for me, considering what theyve done so far this season. If carpenter get hots and pitches like years past, and if the orioles put britton on some kind of rookie innings limit....then that would be a different story.

What kind of OF free agents are available in your league? Im not crazy about having bourn and davis on the same team honestly.

I've always liked price, and i think he'll continue to get even better....so that would be a great addition to your team.
Leesville Sluggers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby V » Thu May 26, 2011 11:06 am

Btw, I replied that I'd like to change Carpenter for Hamels if at all possible, and he returned with

J.Upton, Britton, Madson
for
Price, Hamels, and Austin Jackson.

I think I have to accept this.

Now, Jackson is droppable on my end. Which is ok, as I need to clear a roster spot for Sizemore and Bailey (I'll likely also drop Aaron Hill if I can't find another 3 for 2 or 2 for 1 deal to make). I think this is a deal I have to make, especially since I've had others interested in C.Perez.

I'm not really looking at FA OFs, since I have Werth/Granderson/Joyce/Bourn/Sizemore, and have no roster room to make an add/drop.
V
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Leesville Sluggers » Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 am

With Price and Hamels, i would definately go for it. Your pitching staff would be rock solid, especially with bedard pitching so well currently, and with latos possibly turning the corner.

I didnt know how long sizemore was going to be on the DL, and was unsure how werth was performing. Thats the only reason I was wondering about OF depth...but it looks to be no problem.
Leesville Sluggers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby V » Thu May 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Thanks for the help - I hit accept ;-)

Stinks to lose J.Upton, but it's a classic depth for need trade. I had excess HRs/OFs/RPs, and needed SPs.

(And I drafted J.Upton ahead of Bautista. Ouch).
V
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions