FURIOUS AT LEAGUE MANAGER!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

FURIOUS AT LEAGUE MANAGER!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FURIOUS AT LEAGUE MANAGER!!!

Postby Devil Doc » Thu May 26, 2011 6:05 am

I wake up this AM and as usual first thing I do when I get to the office is check my fantasy baseball team...nothing too crazy happened last night. So on to the League Home Page see what type of transactions took place....

The League Manager had traded Brett Gardner, who has been on and off the WW in our league, for Jason Heyward. The guy who traded him, is in LAST place within the league, and hasn't completed a transaction since the 8th of April. I'm not even sure he even changed his line up since then. The players he's dropped, all on April 8th his last activity on the league, were Jonathan Paplebon, Francisco Liriano, Ryan Dempster, Pat Burrell, and Jason Kubel. It wasn't until after this trade that I looked into what the hell this guy was thinking...and I still can't figure it out.

I think the LM took advantage of the fact this guy IS NOT ACTIVE in the league, not to mention their good friends, and pulled off a trade he himself would NEVER accept.

**And this to me is the kicker, on some trades the LM will let the trade ride out until the Veto process is completed, but on others the LM will "force" accepted trades immediately. I would have vetoed this trade in a heart beat, merely because the guy GIVING UP Heyward hasn't been active since April 8th, and i don't believe its a fair trade. But the LM "forced" this trade immediately, and the league was not allowed to have the option to Veto the trade.

I'm second in my division, and 4th overall only 2.5 games back...the competitive side of me says to keep playing, the unrational part of me is saying to dump my good players and call it quits in the league.

Do I have a legitimate reason to be pissed off, or am I blowing this trade out of proportion?

Thanks guys! :-[ :-C
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: FURIOUS AT LEAGUE MANAGER!!!

Postby mkultra » Fri May 27, 2011 12:25 pm

I think there are 2 separate-but-related issues here. One's procedural, one's situational.

From a procedural standpoint, there is either a veto period or there isn't. That should be in your league's constitution and followed religiously. You should absolutely speak up about this, regardless of whether it is, in fact, spelled out- your commish should be applying an even hand at all times, not acting differently depending on the situation.

As for this trade, I don't think Gardner for Heyward is that crazy, if you're in a redraft or fairly shallow league. If you need speed, Gardner's a good guy to target, and Heyward may have a season-long lingering injury.

I don't know about Papelbon, but Dempster/Burrell/Kubel are only must-owns in very deep leagues. I also wouldn't blame a Liriano owner for dropping him outright if you needed the roster space.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Devil Doc » Mon May 30, 2011 1:06 am

Thanks for the response and help...its a 10 team keeper league, I'll post my roster below, not sure if its condsidered "deep" or not...but its a damn competitive league...I've emailed the commish, just waiting on a response.

BA, HR, R, RBI, SB, BB - ERA, K, WHIP, W, S, PTW (Pitching Team Win)

C Matt Wieters, Bal C
1B Adrian Gonzalez, Bos 1B
2B Martin Prado, Atl 2B, 3B, OF
3B Placido Polanco, Phi 3B
SS Jimmy Rollins, Phi SS
2B/SS Darwin Barney, ChiC 2B
1B/3B Eric Hosmer, KC 1B
OF Ichiro Suzuki, Sea OF
OF Jacoby Ellsbury, Bos OF
OF Austin Jackson, Det OF
DH Carlos Quentin, CWS OF, DH
UTIL Micheal Morse, WAS OF
UTIL Jeff Francoeur, KC OF
Bench Grady Sizemore, Cle OF
DL Ike Davis, NYM 1B

P Jhoulys Chacin, Col SP
P Jair Jurrjens, Atl SP
SP Jeremy Hellickson, TB SP
SP Kyle Lohse, StL SP
SP Roy Oswalt, Phi SP
SP Ryan Dempster, ChC SP
SP Michael Pineda, Sea SP
RP John Axford, Mil RP
RP Craig Kimbrel, Atl RP
Bench Josh Johnson*, Fla SP DL15
Bench Bud Norris, Phi SP
Bench Hiroki Kuroda, LAD SP
Bench Josh Tomlin, Cle SP
DL Brandon Beachy
Devil Doc Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon May 30, 2011 11:39 am

Do you have a reason to be pissed?? Sure. Do you have a reason to have this trade overturned?? Save for proven collusion, I don't think so. I hate inactive managers but, unless you have rules written into your league, I don't see how you can establish criteria after the fact. When things like this happen, you learn and adjust in the future.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby hockeykidb3 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:00 am

if it is forced that means the the LM just processed the trade without the approval of the non-responsive manager, my LM has done the same thing and you have every right to be pissed
hockeykidb3
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner