Barry Bonds is a nice guy! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds is a nice guy!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Barry Bonds is a nice guy!

Postby mweir145 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:00 pm

markj11 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:But he took steroids in the steroids era, man. That makes him a terrible person.

I can't believe you don't have a jester's icon.

I have been deemed unworthy of any icon, except the esteemed eyeball (though I have long forgotten what that even means).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:03 pm

jfg wrote:There's a difference between donating to corporate charities to write off some taxes and what Bonds did. I never thought Bonds was a jerk, he just was a really private guy who learned that from watching how people treated his dad. San Fran fans love him and the media doesn't. Am I going to take the media's side or Bonds' side. Um, that's a no brainer. The only problem I ever had with Bonds is that once records were in sight he should have taken a dive. But, when the record is McGwire's whom I'm sure Bonds knew was a user even that is forgivable.

Taken a dive why? Because the amphetamine user Hank Aaron is seen as clean in the public's eye?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby jfg » Thu May 26, 2011 5:00 pm

I know, I know. At that point I think Barry Bonds did it out of spite when the world was rooting against him. McGwire and Sosa were probably being told by the league to keep doing what they were doing to bring fans back. All I'm saying is that when you do something against the rules you should stop before you bring attention to it. If players in the steroid era would have done that the backlash never would have happened.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby mweir145 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Spite? I just think he was a competitive athlete driven to break that record for much of his career, so he did. He was thinking for himself and his own career accomplishments, not for your interpretation of the "good of the game." I don't think that's anything to look down on him for.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby jfg » Thu May 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Nah, I don't look down on him. Everybody was doing it. I just wish records weren't broken- not for the sake of the records but because of what happened to people's trust in the players.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby cs3 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:33 pm

mweir145 wrote:
markj11 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:But he took steroids in the steroids era, man. That makes him a terrible person.

I can't believe you don't have a jester's icon.

I have been deemed unworthy of any icon, except the esteemed eyeball (though I have long forgotten what that even means).

off topic but does my little yellow square mean???
badge of honor i assume?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 pm

It means beginner. When you sign up there is a box you can check to let people know you are new to the game. You can change it in your control panel. ;-D
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby B-Chad » Thu May 26, 2011 9:54 pm

mweir145 wrote:
jfg wrote:There's a difference between donating to corporate charities to write off some taxes and what Bonds did. I never thought Bonds was a jerk, he just was a really private guy who learned that from watching how people treated his dad. San Fran fans love him and the media doesn't. Am I going to take the media's side or Bonds' side. Um, that's a no brainer. The only problem I ever had with Bonds is that once records were in sight he should have taken a dive. But, when the record is McGwire's whom I'm sure Bonds knew was a user even that is forgivable.

Taken a dive why? Because the amphetamine user Hank Aaron is seen as clean in the public's eye?

Thank you! I want to slug people like Jim Rice in the face for smearing the, "steroid era," players and placing himself and others from a previous era on a pedestal. The fact amphetamines, aka greenies, get a hall pass from the media and general public is mind boggling. In the dog days of summer, they were without question a performance enhancer. Going even further, why do players from the segregated era of baseball get a pass as well? What would a player like Babe Ruth's numbers look like if he didn't play against a watered down player pool and had to face the best pitchers in the Negro Leagues of that time?

Was Bonds arrogant? Yes, absolutely. Was he less than friendly and short with the media? Yup. Did he shove camera men and lash out at media like Randy Johnson and Kenny Rogers? Not that I remember. How about behaving like a brute of a teammate? Sure, from the sounds of things, but no more so than say Jeff Kent.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Fri May 27, 2011 3:13 am

B-Chad wrote:How about behaving like a brute of a teammate? Sure, from the sounds of things, but no more so than say Jeff Kent.
or Jim Rice.

Ive been saying it for years. the reason so many people dislike Bonds, is because they were told to.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby J35J » Fri May 27, 2011 2:24 pm

wrveres wrote:
B-Chad wrote:How about behaving like a brute of a teammate? Sure, from the sounds of things, but no more so than say Jeff Kent.
or Jim Rice.

Ive been saying it for years. the reason so many people dislike Bonds, is because they were told to.

Don't be mean to the sheeple. They are people too.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers