Eric Bedard - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Bedard

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eric Bedard

Postby Bip Roberts » Wed May 25, 2011 3:26 pm

With the way he has been pitching the last month, would you sell high or ride it out?
Bip Roberts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Eric Bedard

Postby gnarboots11 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:27 pm

I'd sell sell sell.
gnarboots11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 25, 2011 3:30 pm

gnarboots11 wrote:I'd sell sell sell.

Really? I can't imagine anybody is willing to give up much for a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy worth a damn in recent several consecutive years. I know I wouldn't. As for me, I'm going to try and ride this out as long as I can and hope his arm doesn't fall off. He's got a nice park to pitch in, and as long as he's healthy he'll hopefully keep up. Now, if you can find a believer who suddenly expects all of these possibilities to come to fruition and you can turn it into a more reliable, likely less upside guy, then it's not a bad idea; I just don't think people are going to be tripping over themselves to do so.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby Bip Roberts » Wed May 25, 2011 3:33 pm

I love the fact that he is pitching in Seattle but I can see the Mariners trading him around the deadline, which kind of scares me.
Bip Roberts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 25, 2011 3:38 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Really? I can't imagine anybody is willing to give up much for a guy who hasn't been able to stay healthy worth a damn in recent several consecutive years. I know I wouldn't. As for me, I'm going to try and ride this out as long as I can and hope his arm doesn't fall off. He's got a nice park to pitch in, and as long as he's healthy he'll hopefully keep up. Now, if you can find a believer who suddenly expects all of these possibilities to come to fruition and you can turn it into a more reliable, likely less upside guy, then it's not a bad idea; I just don't think people are going to be tripping over themselves to do so.

100% agree. I only recently picked up Bedard in my league, so I'm not exactly sure how I could "sell" him. He used to be a top notch ace and really has never had a bad season. He was slow out of the gates this season but I attribute that to working back from injury. He is dialed in, a good park, I'm going to just enjoy his starts, I don't see what other options exist. Trade him for Scott Baker? No thanks....
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby Tennessee Jed » Wed May 25, 2011 3:38 pm

I got him for $1 in my auction league and he has earned that $1 to this point in my eyes. Where he goes from here is money in the bank.
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Bip Roberts » Wed May 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:I got him for $1 in my auction league and he has earned that $1 to this point in my eyes. Where he goes from here is money in the bank.

That was my initial thought process, but I got a case of fantasy greed. Gotta make a profit.
Bip Roberts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Gags Sports » Wed May 25, 2011 3:48 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Every player is tradeable if you can make out in the deal. In Bedard's case, I agree with bigh0rt. When this guy is healthy, he puts up great numbers, problem is he is rarely healthy. Most managers know this, so Bedard is not a guy you target to trade for upside.

Here is the main reason I'm suggesting a strong hold. Look at his upcoming schedule, assuming 4 days of rest. This takes him up to the ASB.

BAL
TB
@ DET
LAA
@ WAS
ATL
SD
@ LAA

In my opinion, he should be started in all these matchups. Not one of those teams ranks in the top 10 in runs scored right now. He has an extremely favorable interleague schedule coming up in June with WAS, ATL and SD. We all know about San Diego's futility, Washington's offense isn't much better and Atlanta has too many injuries on the offensive side.

Last point, of those eight games shown above, six of those teams currently rank in the top 10 for most strikeouts on offense. Another reason you want Bedard (a high K/9 guy) out there on your team and not on someone else's team.

Hold him until the ASB. IF his arm doesn't fall off before then, look to trade him after that SD start.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Bip Roberts » Wed May 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Gags Sports wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Every player is tradeable if you can make out in the deal. In Bedard's case, I agree with bigh0rt. When this guy is healthy, he puts up great numbers, problem is he is rarely healthy. Most managers know this, so Bedard is not a guy you target to trade for upside.

Here is the main reason I'm suggesting a strong hold. Look at his upcoming schedule, assuming 4 days of rest. This takes him up to the ASB.

BAL
TB
@ DET
LAA
@ WAS
ATL
SD
@ LAA

In my opinion, he should be started in all these matchups. Not one of those teams ranks in the top 10 in runs scored right now. He has an extremely favorable interleague schedule coming up in June with WAS, ATL and SD. We all know about San Diego's futility, Washington's offense isn't much better and Atlanta has too many injuries on the offensive side.

Last point, of those eight games shown above, six of those teams currently rank in the top 10 for most strikeouts on offense. Another reason you want Bedard (a high K/9 guy) out there on your team and not on someone else's team.

Hold him until the ASB. IF his arm doesn't fall off before then, look to trade him after that SD start.

Great post.And all those tasty matchups could end up boosting his value.
Bip Roberts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Bip Roberts wrote:I love the fact that he is pitching in Seattle but I can see the Mariners trading him around the deadline, which kind of scares me.

It doesn't matter where he pitches, as long as he stays healthy he will put up good numbers anywhere. He isn't worth trading just yet, I don't think you could get much right now..but in a few more good starts..

He's not his old dominant self that he was at times, velocity is down a little, but still should put up good numbers.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers