MYoung for ROswalt or DHaren? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

MYoung for ROswalt or DHaren?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MYoung for ROswalt or DHaren?

Postby KaPluie » Wed May 25, 2011 9:13 am

After de la rosa hit the road, I'm looking to add an arm. How about trading michael young for roy oswalt or dan haren? Probably could get Chacin, Kuroda or Street from a guy looking for 3B help.

team
-------------------
League: 12 teams, Daily H2H, 6x6, Keeper

Roster Size: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batter Scoring: R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG
Pitching Scoring: W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, Quality Starts

YRank = Yahoo! preseason overall ranking
C - Alex Avila (C, YRank=349)
1B - Joey Votto (1B, 5)
2B - Dan Uggla (2B, 34)
3B - Michael Young (1B/3B/2B, 76)
SS - Elvis Andrus (SS, 100)
OF - Corey Hart (OF, 98)
OF - Alex Gordon (3B/OF, 287)
OF - Matt Holliday (OF, 21)
Utility - Brett Gardner (OF, 120)
Bench - Bobby Abreu (OF, 117)
Bench - Astrubal Cabrera (SS, 192)

SP - Cole Hamels (SP, 60)
SP - Francisco Liriano (SP, 83)
RP - Jonathan Papelbon (RP, 93)
RP - Jose Valverde (RP, 130)
P - Anibal Sanchez (SP, 277)
P - Charlie Morton (SP, 889)
P - Travis Wood (SP, 303)
Bench - Chris Narveson (SP, 342)
Bench - Tim Stauffer (SP, 225)
Bench - Johnny Cueto (SP, 212)
DL - Brad Lidge (RP, 275)
DL - Phil Hughes (SP, 259)
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MYoung for ROswalt or DHaren?

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 25, 2011 9:40 am

Could you trade Gordon for Chacin? I don't love the idea of selling Young because you move Gordon to 3B and then you are stuck with him there. I am not comfortable starting him at this point. I would much rather move him while he has moderate value. I would even take Kuroda for him. If you have to move Young, make sure you do get an elite arm like Haren, that would be the least you could accept for him given your current situation.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby MaudDib » Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 am

Unless i am missing something about Young, I don't see you getting Haren for him. Young is a nice 3B but not enough to get top pitching in return. I would take a look around the league and see who needs some help at 3B and then look at their arms. If you could move Gordon and maybe Abreu for a good SP that would be the way to go but if Young can get you a top SP then do it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby KaPluie » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 am

MaudDib wrote:Unless i am missing something about Young, I don't see you getting Haren for him. Young is a nice 3B but not enough to get top pitching in return. I would take a look around the league and see who needs some help at 3B and then look at their arms. If you could move Gordon and maybe Abreu for a good SP that would be the way to go but if Young can get you a top SP then do it.

Young has 1B/2B/3B eligibility (and could even get OF eligibility as well). There are a lot of teams out there that are looking to get a solid guy at those positions as a result of injuries or bad play ... and it doesn't hurt that Young has > 30 RBIs and was leading the league in batting average last week. But, he is most valuable to a team looking for 3B/2B help. He's currently a top-50 fantasy player. He is the 2nd ranked 3B so far this year, behind only Batista, the 4th ranked 2B, and the 8th ranked 1B.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Wed May 25, 2011 10:58 am

KaPluie wrote:
MaudDib wrote:Unless i am missing something about Young, I don't see you getting Haren for him. Young is a nice 3B but not enough to get top pitching in return. I would take a look around the league and see who needs some help at 3B and then look at their arms. If you could move Gordon and maybe Abreu for a good SP that would be the way to go but if Young can get you a top SP then do it.

Young has 1B/2B/3B eligibility (and could even get OF eligibility as well). There are a lot of teams out there that are looking to get a solid guy at those positions as a result of injuries or bad play ... and it doesn't hurt that Young has > 30 RBIs and was leading the league in batting average last week. But, he is most valuable to a team looking for 3B/2B help. He's currently a top-50 fantasy player. He is the 2nd ranked 3B so far this year, behind only Batista, the 4th ranked 2B, and the 8th ranked 1B.

Yes, he has looked pretty good but I don't think many people believe that he will end the year that high. He just doesn't have a lot of appeal. For that past few years he has been a solid but unsexy player and most people aren't going to trade one of their Ace's for a guy that gives you solid production. Generally they are wanting a big name or somebody who has a lot of potential which is not what Young does.

Saying all that, it is worth a try and if a team needs a 3B or even a 2B then maybe a deal gets done.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions