Trade Longoria in a keeper league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Longoria in a keeper league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Longoria in a keeper league?

Postby pangbones » Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 am

I would be getting R Zimmerman, V Martinez, M Cain, and J Werth for Longoria, Peavy, M Reynolds, and G Floyd. This is a keeper league, so that is my only hesitation. Is this enough return, to get rid of one of the better keepers in baseball? Also, there is no guarantee Zimmerman is as good as he was last year when he returns. I obviously believe he will be, otherwise I wouldn't even consider this deal. What do you think?

C - Ianetta
1B - Votto
2B - Kinsler
SS - A Ramirez
3B - Longoria
OF - Pence, Crawford, Quentin
Util - Ortiz, R Davis
Bench - Reynolds, McGehee, Lowrie, Morneau
DL - Mauer

SP - Lester, Marcum, J Chacin, Pineda, Kuroda
RP - Axford, Hanrahan, Storen

Bench - H Bailey, Peavy, Floyd, J Zimm, Nathan
10 Team, 6*6 (OBP and K's for hitters and L's for Pitchers), H2H, Keeper (3 players, at least 1 hitter and 1 pitcher)
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Longoria in a keeper league?

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 25, 2011 9:35 am

Mid-June is the optimistic outlook for Zimmerman, but that is about 2-3 weeks away. Let's break it down into 2 deals:

1. Peavy/Reynolds/Floyd for Cain is basically a fair trade for you considering pitching depth and such. You don't need Peavy AND Floyd and Reynolds is on the bench, so this is an excellent upgrade for you. It may help the other owner too but it's selling him your bench for one near-ace. This is a positive for you.

2. Longoria for Zimmerman/V-Mart/Werth. So when Zimmerman comes back he is a little behind Longoria in the ranks. Honestly, the difference is small, but with keepers the gap widens just a bit more. However, you add V-Mart which is nice because Ianetta is crap. That is a major upgrade at a tough position. A healthy Zimmerman/V-Mart seems like it would be a fair deal for Longoria. However, he is injured so his value is much less. Thankfully you get Werth as well, who started off poorly but has started to turn it on, and once he gets his buddy Zimmerman back, those two could start to really do some damage. Werth more than makes up for the difference between a healthy Zimmerman and the current Zimmerman. Roster-wise Werth seems extraneous but with Ortiz/Davis/Quentin sometimes going ice cold and injured, it's nice to have another really solid hitter for that, plus Werth is better than all three as well. This part is a positive for you.

All in all this looks like a great deal for you. ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby MaudDib » Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am

I am ok with this trade. The difference between Zimmerman and Longoria isn't that big and you are getting a lot of good pieces for this year. This could net you a championship and that always trumps "good keepers".
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby angels7777 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:22 pm

This trade looks like a classic I'll give up depth if you give me a top notch keeper type of deal. If you want to go for it all this year, go for it. If you want to retain a top keeper do not do it. I am not 100 percent sold on Zimmerman or this year though.

viewtopic.php?t=431629
5x5 H2H, NK 10 tms

C-
1- Fielder
2- Carpenter
3- Wright
SS- Desmond
OF- J. Upton, Trout, Heyward
UTL- Werth
BN- E. Cab
SP- Hamls, Gio, Latos, Tehran, D. Salzar, Lirano, Grza, Kluber, Lincum, Lacky
RP- Cishek, Veras, Soria, Brothers, Hawkins
DL- Crain
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 500)

Postby Singles » Wed May 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Like this trade for you. It really improves your team this year. I don't think Zimmerman is that far from Longoria and getting Cain, V-Mart and Werth are great players added to your roster. Good Luck
Singles Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby figurski24 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:16 pm

You lose Longoria who is valuable in a keeper league, but in return you get Zimmerman and Martinez. Zimmerman who is 26 will continue to produce in years to come which will make up for losing Longoria at 3B. You lose Reynolds who I am personally not a favorite of because ever since 07' his average has gotten worse and strikeouts have gotten greater. G Floyd and Peavy are tough losses but you get Cain who is on a productive offense. Finally Werth and Martinez are just extras, not to mention Martinez who is one of the top 5 catchers in the league. Accept this one in a heartbeat, you are only losing bench players for the most part.
figurski24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions