5/25 Cheering, Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Elbow Room - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/25 Cheering, Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Elbow Room

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Outfielder in a 5x5 league for the remainder of the year?

Curtis Granderson
35%
Carl Crawford
46%
Shin-Soo Choo
15%
Andre Ethier
4%
Alex Rios
No votes

Total votes : 26

5/25 Cheering, Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Elbow Room

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed May 25, 2011 7:57 am

When your job is to whip a small object up to 95 miles an hour, or making it break 9 inches, 100 times every five days, there comes a point that the elbow says "No more." Stupid quitter elbow. The wrist never whines -- it's a trooper!

First and nastiest we've got Jorge de la Rosa, in what may have been the shortest length between injury and surgery announcement I've ever seen:
"An hour after the game, the Rockies said an MRI showed a complete tear of the ulnar collateral ligament. That likely means Tommy John-style tendon replacement surgery that would sideline the hard-throwing left-hander for a year.De La Rosa was the Rockies' top pitcher so far with a 5-2 record and a 3.51 ERA. He was coming off his first career complete game when he got hurt."

Talk about leaving it all on the field. Jorge was having a nice little year, but you can safely forget about him until the summer of 2012.

Next up we've got everybody's favorite AL East to NL Central transfer, Matt Garza:
Cubs right-hander Matt Garza didn’t go quietly, but he did go on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after an MRI exam on his sore elbow revealed a bone bruise — another blow to a starting rotation that ranks last in the majors in ERA.

Considering the area of the pain, the diagnosis ‘‘was the best news we could have hoped for,’’ said general manager Jim Hendry, who anticipates Garza will return on his first eligible day, June 3 at St. Louis. That would amount to only two missed starts.

Looks like major danger was avoided, but we've all seen "benign" elbow injuries that turned out to be not so benign. If Minor Danger is your middle name, Garza could be a decent buy-low candidate.

Finally, Rafael Soriano, setup man to the stars, sets a date with Death, Destroyer of Worlds (alias: Dr. James Andrews):
"Soriano is going to see Dr. James Andrews tomorrow. The Yankees won’t release the MRI results until then, but the team acknowledged that they “showed enough for him to see Andrews."

If anyone asks Hank von Steingrabber about that contract, he can just say Madoff made him do it.

Speaking of New York City and grand larceny, the Yankees stole a win from the Jays, as Frank Francisco threw a chair into a great effort by Ricky Romero. Curtis Granderson went 4-5, raising his average to .275 and picking up his 35th RBI. Yankees players are often overrated in fantasy, but this year Granderson fell into the category that I love to target: players who were once so overrated and burned so many people that they are now underrated. (Some other names that fit into this category at the beginning of the year: Ben Zobrist, Pablo Sandoval, Jason Bay, Aaron Hill. Some work out, some don't.) Where do you see Granderson ranked amongst OF at the end of the year?

Another guy who went from overrated to underrated is Carlos Quentin. In his career, Quentin has had 2 smart fantasy player tags on his back: overrated to underrated, and before that he was a post-hype sleeper. Last night, his three dongs were so powerful that they broke the damn sky:

Quentin and Hamilton provided the on-field highlights, and Mother Nature supplied plenty during the stoppage. At one point during the delay, fans were evacuated from the lower bowl to the service level under the stadium by the threat of a tornado and baseball-size hail.

Hail did fall, though only as large as nickel, and it covered the field before melting quickly.

Hamilton had an infield single on a headfirst slide in the 8th, then stole 2nd and 3rd with headfirst slides. His coach had nothing to do with that -- that was all him.

What else is going on? How are your teams doing? How's your elbow doing? Has Bernie Madoff stolen any of your money and stressed you out enough to insult your players in The New Yorker?
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/25 Cheering, Venting, Asdrubal's Ding Dongs, Elbow Roo

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed May 25, 2011 8:05 am

Baseball Today -- Weather Today

What pitching matchups look fun today? Buncha afternoon games, which is clutch for killing time at work. I'm sure lots of fantasy folks will be watching Carpenter vs. Latos closely -- both have struggled but either could bust off a gem any time.

I'm always interested when Jo-Jo Reyes is pitching, mostly because I wonder if K-Ci is going to show up one of these days.
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 25, 2011 8:08 am

My first day with Miggy in my lineup. ;-D

Starting Halladay. :-)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 25, 2011 8:18 am

Big thank you goes to Chris Narveson, who strings together several good starts, until I spot him as a massive favorite, and he lays a friggin' egg... :-C However, with only 1 start in the books and 9 left on the week, I'll be...

Trotting Mat Latos vs StL sans Matt Holliday, against Carp, which will likely end in disaster :-C
Also trotting Theodore Lilly @ Hou, against Anuery-Rod, which will likely be the day Houston decides to score Runs on the week :-C
Finally, Erik Bedard gets the nod from me @ Min, who again will probably explode for Runs today, as they do like once per week :-C

Notes:
- Alex Gordon has quietly homered in back-to-back games, bringing him to 5 on the season.
- Kelly Johnson showing serious signs of the guy from '10 in his last 5 games.
- Corey Hart with 4 HR, 9 RBI, 4 Runs scored in the last 2 days. Can he please keep facing the Natinals?
- Nick Markakis batting .322 in May with 2 HR, 9 RBI, 13 R, and 3 SB.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby wrveres » Wed May 25, 2011 8:52 am

bigh0rt wrote:Trotting Mat Latos vs StL sans Matt Holliday, against Carp, which will likely end in disaster :-C
oh come on now. why do you even own latos? please trade him away, and please .... do not start him today.

as a friend ?!?!? :-]
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby kab21 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:05 am

I broke my start them all strategy and it almost burned me when Romero almost picked up a win with a nice ERA (and a not so nice WHIP). While Bills and Verlander torched my ERA (Bills did get a W though).

today is a boring day however
no pitchers in H2H
Lester in roto
Ervin and TWood in a 24 tm'er
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 175)

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 25, 2011 9:20 am

Sending out Kennedy @ Colorado. Had Chacin in there last night and got burned. Maybe these two teams are burned out from yesterday and Ian can pick up the pieces?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed May 25, 2011 9:35 am

Lol at Hamilton head first slides! !+)

Guess we at least know everything healed properly... ;-7
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 am

Should I start IPK today @Colorado? Please submit your answer in the form of a haiku.
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 am

Kennedy The Man
Starting In A Hostile Park
Could Be Egg On Face
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero