Another discouraged Adam Dunn owner...WHIR as always!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Another discouraged Adam Dunn owner...WHIR as always!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Another discouraged Adam Dunn owner...WHIR as always!!!

Postby pre1322 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:58 pm

I am not the first, and I most certainly will not be the last to ask this...but what to do with Adam Dunn? I'm getting to the point where it's difficult for me to not just cut bait and get whatever I can get for him that can be useful the rest of the way, rather than have a black hole wherever I put him. Here's my team, 14 teams, H2H, keeper (3 sports with 15 keepers across the 3, I'll end up keeping either 6 or 7 for baseball), 6x6 w/ BB and HLDs as the added stats. I'm sitting just 5 games out of first despite some bad luck to start, just as a reference.

C Jonathan Lucroy
1B Adam Dunn
2B Robinson Cano
3B Aramis Ramirez
SS Starlin Castro
OF Andrew McCutchen
OF Jacoby Ellsbury
OF Hunter Pence
UTIL Nick Swisher
UTIL Erick Aybar
BN Freddie Freeman
BN Geovany Soto DL
DL Angel Pagan
DL Ryan Zimmerman

SP Cole Hamels
SP Matt Cain
RP Joel Hanrahan
RP Matt Capps
P Jordan Walden
P Mark Melancon
P Sean Marshall
P Joe Nathan
BN Mat Latos
BN Gio Gonzalez
BN Matt Garza DL (more good news today...)

I was planning on keeping Dunn in my future plans, but the prolonged slump has prompted me to consider dealing him for a 1B who can be serviceable the rest of the way (maybe Gaby Sanchez), and a decent UTIL bat to cover me until Soto and Pagan are activated to clear up my bench (Logan Morrison may be too high, and would drop Lucroy and Aybar). Then choosing my keepers from a pool of Cano, Zimm, Castro, Cutch, Ellsy, Pence, Hamels, Cain.

Available FA hitters include: Seth Smith, Todd Helton, Corey Patterson, Cameron Maybin, Ryan Theriot, Garrett Jones, Scott Rolen, Peter Bourjos, Josh Willingham, Ty Wigginton

So what do I do? Hang onto Dunn and keep hoping, and keep him in my future plans? OR cut bait and try to get a couple complimentary players who can fortify the core above instead of having several black holes in my roster (ideally trading Dunn and Swisher to a Yankee fan for those pieces :P)? And if you think I should wait, what should I do to weather the storm?

Help me out please!!! Leave a link and I will get right back to you!!
Last edited by pre1322 on Tue May 24, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pre1322
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Another discouraged Adam Dunn owner...WHIR as always!!!

Postby kidsilk » Tue May 24, 2011 10:21 pm

I actually would keep Dunn. I am a big believer in him as he has been one of the most consistent HR hitters in the past 6 years. I doubt he will keep this up all year long. He is too good not to turn it on. I don't think you would get what you would want for him now anyway if you tried to trade him now. I have Dunn in one of my leagues and am standing by him especially since I have been getting tons of terrible buy low offers for him lately. Have faith my man. He will come around.

Please help

viewtopic.php?t=431547
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1229)

Postby pre1322 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:27 pm

So what is your recommendation while I wait it out? Because I've run out of plans...
pre1322
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby exm » Tue May 24, 2011 11:37 pm

pre1322 wrote:So what is your recommendation while I wait it out? Because I've run out of plans...

I'm in the same boat my friend. Is Hosmer available? He's been doing decent so far - good enough to wait until Dunn heats up (with the Chicago weather)
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 75)

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 25, 2011 1:53 am

Well, Dunn just hit a homerun today. So you can hope that he goes on a streak and turns it around.

I would also keep Dunn. You probably can't get anything much for him now anyways. If that list is all there is, you might want to pick up Seth Smith and ride him while he's hot.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby figurski24 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Yeah defiantly stick with Dunn because trading him wouldn't get you anything with his numbers. Dunn will work it out and will get out of this slump, so just stick with him till then.
figurski24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DrDC » Wed May 25, 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks for answering mine.

I'm not a big believer in Dunn, with his consistently low average and high strikeouts. I think Helton or Seth Smith will serve you better. If you could trade Dunn in a 2-for-1 deal, that could open up a spot to pick up Helton or Smith.
DrDC
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions