Fantasy Article #2 - Staying Power - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy Article #2 - Staying Power

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Article #2 - Staying Power

Postby zomberg » Tue May 24, 2011 3:47 pm

Wow, it has been one long week. I learned one important thing; there's a definite ratio between # of coffee cups drank and hours of sleep needed. Once again, I'd love to hear thoughts on both style and content - I'm just getting the hang of this thing. Thanks again in advance!

Fantasy Baseball: Staying Power

To the sports purist, baseball is the epitome of all that is right with the universe. Teams need to provide sustainable excellence in order to succeed; only seven of the last forty teams (17.5%) have reached the playoffs without winning a robust 90 games. In regular season baseball, even the comebacks - which America embraces and celebrates - aren’t quite as spectacular as they are in other Big 4 sports. Off the cuff, the best success story over the past three years was the Colorado Rockies rolling their way into a Wild Card spot, having been left for dead in early June. But that triumph had its problems: their playoff spot was assured a little too early, as the Giants fell five games back with over a week to play, and Colorado did need to play at a .665 clip for 110 games. If your comeback needs to take place over a four month period, you’re clearly not pulling off the feat. Leave the Johnny-come-lately’s to other sports.

This remains true to a large degree in fantasy baseball. The thing I detest most about head to head leagues is that one team can sneak into the playoffs, watch their players enjoy a career week, and wipe out the best team in the league in a too-short period of time. (It is for this reason that I love roto. True, it isn’t as fun to fall behind, and in non-keeper leagues activity dies down a little too quickly once June rolls around, but the winner tends to be the best team out there. Period.) In any case, after only eight weeks of ball, your team is still alive no matter what format you play in. If you’re quite behind, it’s time to rock the boat.

Way Over His Head:

Matt Joyce: For those of you who don’t love to follow the Tropicanas, Joyce filled a Ramirez-sized hole in Florida by lashing the ball from the get-go. He is finally owned in almost every league, but that doesn’t mean we can’t talk about him. Joyce’s value is limited because he hasn’t shown the ability to hit lefties, and the Rays won’t give him an extended chance at the moment. His Batting Average on Balls in Play is a league-leading .412, though it might not fall if he continues to spray line drives at the same rate. Still, I can’t see the AVG sticking over .300, and his speed is limited. He’ll hit like a fifth OF (in 10 teamers) the rest of the way, so don’t hesitate to move him to (any) offers.

To see the rest, please hit up http://thesportsheadquarters.blogspot.com/2011/05/fantasy-baseball-staying-power.html.
zomberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantasy Article #2 - Staying Power

Postby zomberg » Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 pm

I'd really like to hear some constructive feedback.
zomberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zomberg » Wed May 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Final pop.

I'm glad that Cargo continues to make me look 'like genius' (What am I, Borat?). 1.016 OPS this May!
zomberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby swyck » Fri May 27, 2011 8:54 am

zomberg wrote:This remains true to a large degree in fantasy baseball. The thing I detest most about head to head leagues is that one team can sneak into the playoffs, watch their players enjoy a career week, and wipe out the best team in the league in a too-short period of time. (It is for this reason that I love roto.

Do you detest baseball? Would you want baseball to be one division one league, and whoever has the most wins at the end wins, no playoffs, no world series needed? That would be baseball as a roto league.

That is actually the thing I like the most about head to head leagues. I just need to squeak into the playoffs anyway way I can and I have some shot to go all the way. I've won leagues where I've barely made the playoffs on the last pitch of the season, and been bounced in the first round after stomping on everyone all year long. I enjoy stomping leagues all year long, that never gets old, and I don't like early bounces after so much promise, but I've had the most fun winning those squeaker leagues, bringing everything I can, playing matchups, streaming, grabbing hot bats, whatever it takes. I play the season with an eye to getting ready for the playoffs.

I play mostly roto and that's my preferred format, so this is not a roto bash by any means, but IMO head to head is more like playing a season than roto is. In real life as in fantasy you can roll all season long but if you're cold going into the playoffs and face a team getting hot, you're done. The "best" team doesn't always win, and that's the way it should be. Whoever wins the championship IS the best team. B-)
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby zomberg » Fri May 27, 2011 1:30 pm

swyck wrote:
zomberg wrote:This remains true to a large degree in fantasy baseball. The thing I detest most about head to head leagues is that one team can sneak into the playoffs, watch their players enjoy a career week, and wipe out the best team in the league in a too-short period of time. (It is for this reason that I love roto.

The "best" team doesn't always win, and that's the way it should be. Whoever wins the championship IS the best team. B-)

Maybe in real baseball - where the players themselves have the ability to determine the winners - would I agree with that concept. (And yes, I know that players cannot help themselves if they get injured, and owners have little influence on their players.) I view baseball more as a stock market challenge than the playoffs in a league. Would you declare playoffs in such a format?
zomberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Padsin05 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:26 pm

well written. I am the biggest Joyce supporter, he is being used perfectly by Maddon, while I agree his numbers will decline, I definately see him better then a 5th OF. As for speed, true hes not fast, but hes not slow, he should finish with double digit steals.

Hes also in his 27th yr of birth, like another out of nowhere guy. Jeff Franceour. There used to be a time (before the steroid era) that 27yrs old was the breakout age, and the max productivity was from 27-32. Maybe baseball has returned to its roots

both guys werent top prospects, but were definately viewed as above avg major league potentials. Seems like both have put it together.

2 weeks makes a streak, 2 months means a guy has figured it out.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby swyck » Fri May 27, 2011 3:58 pm

zomberg wrote:
swyck wrote:

The "best" team doesn't always win, and that's the way it should be. Whoever wins the championship IS the best team. B-)

Maybe in real baseball - where the players themselves have the ability to determine the winners - would I agree with that concept. (And yes, I know that players cannot help themselves if they get injured, and owners have little influence on their players.) I view baseball more as a stock market challenge than the playoffs in a league. Would you declare playoffs in such a format?

IMO managers can make moves in head to head to help themselves win. At least that's what I tell myself when I win. :)

As for the stock market I'll take the dividends and let others chase the cap gains. BAC will start paying out again any year now. :~(
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby zomberg » Sun May 29, 2011 2:05 pm

swyck wrote:IMO managers can make moves in head to head to help themselves win. At least that's what I tell myself when I win. :)

As for the stock market I'll take the dividends and let others chase the cap gains. BAC will start paying out again any year now. :~(

Haha, I hear the first point, loud and clear. If the league plays H2H, then you have to adapt accordingly...

BAC was around three bucks at some point. Now there's some real capital gains.
zomberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby swyck » Sun May 29, 2011 11:01 pm

zomberg wrote:BAC was around three bucks at some point. Now there's some real capital gains.

Just means I've broken even. !+)
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Return to Baseball Leftovers