Felix Hernandez - 300 wins? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Felix Hernandez - 300 wins?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thatguy27 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Anyone think Felix could reach 300 wins in his career? He's at 76 now, at the age of 25 (shame he's played his first 7 years with the M's, he'd likely be close to if not over 100 wins had he been with a good team). Let's assume he has 15 years remaining and he holds up, he'd have to average 15 wins/season to get to 301. Now, that is a long time, but plenty of pitchers have pitched well into their early and even mid 40's in some cases.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Felix Hernandez - 300 wins?

Postby Guaranteed Loser » Mon May 23, 2011 1:48 pm

No.

Too many things can happen in 15 years. He would have to stay healthy, play for a decent team, and get lucky to make 300 wins.

I just don't see it happening
Thanks to Idahofan for the sweet graphic!
Guaranteed Loser
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:06 pm

So far removed, it's not even worth debating. Check back in 10 years.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thedude » Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm

thejusman1 wrote:So far removed, it's not even worth debating. Check back in 10 years.

This.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Padsin05 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:20 pm

so lets go like this. If he wins 20 every year for the next 10 yrs hes still only at 276, but at that time I think he would get to 300, but I dont even know if Felix will ever win 20 in a yr nowadays
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 35)

Postby jfg » Mon May 23, 2011 3:31 pm

It's always fun to speculate. I don't think we'll ever see a 300 win pitcher again though. Jamie Moyer had a shot but the TJ surgery ruined that, although he's going to give it a shot, no doubt about that. Young pitchers are handled so delicately these days and for good reason, but if you aren't able get yourself to around 50 wins within 4 years (assuming you entered the big leagues around 20), your chance of 300 is pretty slim. You don't see many pitchers that are even given the chance to do that these days. Of all pitchers Felix probably has the best chance because he was able to rack up some wins at a young age, now it will be a case if he can stay healthy and keep winning over the next 15 years.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Tavish » Mon May 23, 2011 4:52 pm

jfg wrote:Of all pitchers Felix probably has the best chance because he was able to rack up some wins at a young age, now it will be a case if he can stay healthy and keep winning over the next 15 years.

My money would be on Sabathia ahead of Felix. Both are still so far away right now the chances are very slim, but CC has a 5 "good year" advantage over Felix.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Who cares? Wins are stupid. Let's talk about the next pitcher to reach 70 WAR. Only 8 pitchers since 1980 have reached it. Halladay will destroy it, Sabathia has a good chance (51 WAR at age 31), but who else? Haren's 31 at the end of the year and he only has 34, Lincecum and Verlander are both 27 with about 27 WAR each, and Felix has 30 WAR at age 25. Does anyone else even have a realistic chance?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon May 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Who cares? Wins are stupid. Let's talk about the next pitcher to reach 70 WAR. Only 8 pitchers since 1980 have reached it. Halladay will destroy it, Sabathia has a good chance (51 WAR at age 31), but who else? Haren's 31 at the end of the year and he only has 34, Lincecum and Verlander are both 27 with about 27 WAR each, and Felix has 30 WAR at age 25. Does anyone else even have a realistic chance?

Strasburg. ;-7
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 403)

Postby jfg » Mon May 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Yeah, CC is before Felix. Forgot about him. There's two ways to get to 300: The Maddux way and the Glavine way. You could be dominant like Maddux on good teams and get at least 15 wins a year but most of the time you get around 20. There's a chance a HOF player could come into the game at age 20 on a team that is good, or at least is good within a few years of the pitcher gets a spot at the top of the rotation. I think that's the best bet of seeing 300 again, and that pitcher isn't in the league right now in my opinion. Or you could be a really good pitcher that has a long career of being consistently good and is usually on a good team. I don't think this will ever happen again, because teams rebuild so much now and it would take a guy like CC staying on a perrenial contender for most of his career. You don't see that too much anymore especially with pitchers. There's a chance he's going to opt out and then you don't know what will happen.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers