Rick Porcello - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rick Porcello

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rick Porcello

Postby gbill2004 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:00 am

He's been pitching like an ace lately. Is he the real deal? Thoughts on him for the rest of the season?
gbill2004
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rick Porcello

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon May 23, 2011 9:18 am

It's about time. :-D

A few more Ks, and he'd be great.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby J35J » Mon May 23, 2011 10:12 am

Depends on your definition of real deal. He's still only K'ing 5.4 per 9 so that's not anywhere near real deal in my definition book. Can he be a sub 4ERA guy with a 1.30WHP...sure, but when you are lucky to reach 130K's over 200innings I'm just not that excited.

This is most of the reason why I wasn't all that excited about Cahill coming into the year...he was a 5k per 9 type of guy the last 2 years and now this year he's up over 7 per 9 so his value has sky rocketed...I'm still a little skeptical he'll keep this pace up though. So yeah, if Porcello can do what he's doing now, plus bump his K rate up over 6.5/7 per 9 then we can talk about him being the real deal.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby nsulham » Mon May 23, 2011 11:03 am

Yeah I'm just not getting too jazzed about him until he gets that K rate up. Without it I have a hard time believing that low-2 ERA won't balloon.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Urban Cohorts » Tue May 24, 2011 12:15 am

I like Porcello. I think he is going to be a reliable fantasy option this year, though not an ace. A lot of his pitches go for ground balls (though he isn't an elite GB pitcher yet) and he has a very good BB rate. He doesn't strike out a lot of guys, but his K rate is improving. He also doesn't give up too many HRs, which is helpful. And the kid is only 22! Once that K rate improves, he could be gold. He reminds me a lot of early career Derek Lowe. Porcello doesn't have as many GB, but he looks to have slightly better control and less HR problems.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers