5/23, Cheering, Venting, Huffs Ding Dong's, prospectpalooza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/23, Cheering, Venting, Huffs Ding Dong's, prospectpalooza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 5/23, Cheering, Venting, Huffs Ding Dong's, prospectpalo

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Tue May 24, 2011 1:10 am

cs3 wrote:
kab21 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
Speculating for saves just plain sucks. I hit with Walden, but he's been shaky lately, and I wouldn't be surprised if he coughs it up too at some point.

I've whiffed with every other attempt, including holding onto Contreras thinking he was fine on Charlie Manuel's word and not grabbing Madson.

On the efforts of Storen & Jansen tonight, my ERA managed to shoot up nearly two tenths of a run tonight. That's not easy to do. :-b

Speculating for saves might suck. But paying market price for 3 closers in the draft also sucks.

in my Keeper i got pretty lucky in regards to saves... altho i do scour the wire relentlessly.
drafted street in the 13th, broxton in the 15th, and kimbrel in the 22nd. traded broxton after his first 3 saves for a draft pick.
picked up contreras and francisco (DL).
traded Francisco for a draft pick.
picked up Santos and Walden, traded Walden. then added salas.
so now i have Kimbrel, Street, Salas, and Santos, plus still have contreras and Lidge on my DL - didnt draft a single closer before round 13 and have the most saves in the league.
and just for kicks also managed to pry away additional pick in rounds 9, 10, and 11 for next year. B-)

thats a great success story but the competition for salas, walden, santos, contreras, etc is pretty fierce in a lot of leagues. not to mention that all the closers you mentioned went for over $10 in my league. i think this year makes a case that you SHOULD pay for saves in the draft. trolling the wire is very hit and miss (not to mention consumes 90% of fantasy time).
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers