Trading Pujols, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading Pujols, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading Pujols, WHIR

Postby tmacdaman1 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:45 pm

I am in a keeper league and I just joined this year with a clean slate while everyone else had a 3 year head start, so I knew I wasn't going to really compete this season.

It is an auction league, so I made sure I got Pujols (wasn't kept, as each player you keep is $4 more than he cost the year before, so guys become costly after enough time). My goal when I got Pujols was really just to trade him for a bunch of young keepable players during the season.

One team asked what I would want. He has Ogando ($2, would cost me $6 next year if kept), Lawrie ($1, $5 next year), Smoak ($7, $11 next year), Mesoraco ($2, $6 next year), and Tabata ($6, $10 next year).

Should I pursue a package of these players? Is it enough, or should I look to trade Pujols elsewhere for some better players. I think I might be better off getting at least one more reliable young player than these guys, as good as they are/may be.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading Pujols, WHIR

Postby billycent » Sun May 22, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm sorry... I don't care what the circumstances or league format... Pujols ain't getting traded for a list of could be's. First off is it a keeper w/a set number of keepers (in which case Pujols is almost inexpendable) or a dynasty? If it's a dynasty I understand you wanting to bring in a bunch of young promising talent... but unless you bring back at least 1 top-notch star then Pujols goes nowhere... and I don't care about the $4 penalty to keep a player... better to pay $4 more to keep him than $4 more to keep Johnny Couldbe. I hope this helps. Please take a look at mine?

viewtopic.php?t=431328
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby whitheadsuxs » Sun May 22, 2011 10:32 pm

iv never heard of this style i think its freakin awsome that being said though

pujols has 3 more im a boss seasons after this 1 id need 3 big time young players back for him like elvis andrus carlos santana and justin upton
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmacdaman1 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:34 pm

I'm definitely not keeping Pujols. I paid $52 for him, already more than I wanted to just so that I could have the best player so that he could help my team and/or bring back something good in a trade. No way will anyone keep him for $56, which also makes it harder to get a really good, really young, really cheap talent because those guys are keepable for another few years, whereas Pujols is a rental. It is very rare in this league that a top talent that won't be kept fetches a really really good young player.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby billycent » Sun May 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Well in that case, keep him for the whole year and hope he can work his magic for your team... bc what you said you can get for him kinda sucks and guarantees you will have a bad year. And I don't really understand why nobody would keep him bc if you want him again your gonna have to bid close to that amount again next year. I'd rather just know he was already mine and focus on building the rest of my team. Of course your total budget plays a large roll in this... but if he got all the way to $52 this year odds are you guys have a decent budget to work with.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby whitheadsuxs » Sun May 22, 2011 10:42 pm

i understand that and im sure u no way more about this league than i do
but make sure you dont get stuck with flashes in the pan and lose your top player just because hes exspensive
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmacdaman1 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Our draft day budget is $325, and we have 30 roster spots...so any one player accounting for nearly 20% of the budget just doesn't make a lot of fiscal sense. It would be ok if I had been in the league for a few years and was able to pick up good players for cheap over the years, but I had to pay market value for everybody on my team because I started with an empty roster at the draft. So it works for some people, but not many...and definitely not me.

I really have no shot to win the league this year as I expected, but I have nice young players that I could keep so I am trying to add to that. I haven't really taken offers for Pujols yet, this is just 1 team that came to me asking about him. I will definitely see what I could get, but as a last resort I really have to take whatever I could get later in the season.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby whitheadsuxs » Sun May 22, 2011 10:56 pm

i no it doesnt make sense to spend that 20 percent of your roster money on one guy but isnt that what every major leauge team barring the yankees and red sox do with there budgets and cut ties with everyone else atleast til that star is over the hill

if you could get elvis andrus and neal walker and somebody like kyle lohse or brett anderson or gio gonzo like all of that and you just wanna plan for the future i understand that but dont get nothin retarded for PUJOLS
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby billycent » Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Call me old fashioned but I'd rather spend $56 on the best player in the game than $38 on a few possible crap players. You can probably get players comparable to those guys toward the end of the draft for far cheaper.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmacdaman1 » Sun May 22, 2011 11:13 pm

whitheadsuxs wrote:i no it doesnt make sense to spend that 20 percent of your roster money on one guy but isnt that what every major leauge team barring the yankees and red sox do with there budgets and cut ties with everyone else atleast til that star is over the hill

if you could get elvis andrus and neal walker and somebody like kyle lohse or brett anderson or gio gonzo like all of that and you just wanna plan for the future i understand that but dont get nothin retarded for PUJOLS

Thats true, but I don't think you can compare MLB to fantasy baseball. Besides, are the teams that pay one guy 20% of their total salary the successful ones? Usually not.
tmacdaman1
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions