Liriano buy low trade... WHIR 100% - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Liriano buy low trade... WHIR 100%

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Liriano buy low trade... WHIR 100%

Postby billycent » Sun May 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Been after him for awhile and me and his owner just finally came to agreement on a deal. My Ogando, Bailey, and Hill for Liriano and Russell Martin. I have Soto on the DL but even when he comes back he hasn't exactly been tearing it up where as Martin has been very solid and in a much better line-up. On the pitching end, I'm sure that Ogando will come back to earth a bit at some point and will undoubtably face a innings limit down the stretch 1 would think, and who know if Bailey will keep it up. In my eyes Liriano just has to much skill and too nasty of stuff to go this way all year and there has been improvement lately if he would just limit the free passes. What does anyone think? Leave a link and I got u right back.

Philadelphia Phillies
12 Team ESPN 10x10 H2H Keeper league... 8 keepers
c - Jonathan Lucroy
1b - Albert Pujols
2b - Ian Kinsler
3b - Aramis Ramirez
ss - Jimmy Rollins
mi - Dan Uggla
ci - Adam Dunn
lf - Ryan Braun
cf - B.J. Upton
rf - Shin-Soo Choo
of - Michael Brantley
u - David Ortiz
bench - Aaron Hill and Domonic Brown
dl - Geovanny Soto and Vernon Wells
sp - Jon Lester, David Price, Alexi Ogando, Gavin Floyd, Homer Bailey, and Bartolo Colon
rp - Francisco Rodriguez, Matt Capps, Kyle Farnsworth, Sergio Santos, and Joe Nathan
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Liriano buy low trade... WHIR 100%

Postby friedrich15 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:38 pm

i like your thinking i think Liriano is on the right track after a few rough starts and you didnt over pay to get him! nice work
friedrich15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 39)

Postby KaPluie » Sun May 22, 2011 8:43 pm

If you believe Liriano will bounce back, this is a great move ... even without Martin.
If Liriano keeps his current pace, I like the other side of this deal. Definitely a risk. I wasn't impressed at all with Liriano's start today. He was searching for the zone all day, and gave up a couple bombs that were caught on the warning track, that would have been homers in most parks.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zubaz4fans » Sun May 22, 2011 8:45 pm

i wouldn't touch francisco liriano if he was growing on my ass!

viewtopic.php?t=431323
zubaz4fans
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby KaPluie » Sun May 22, 2011 8:51 pm

I'd only consider trading for Liri if I knew my team wasn't good enough to win it all. If you buy low and he turns it around, you've added major value to your mediocre team. If you are doing well its far too risky; I'd pass... this is the sort of move that can destroy your team. I'm surprised you had to give this much for him. No one in my league would give me anything close to this haul for the bigL.
Last edited by KaPluie on Sun May 22, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby billycent » Sun May 22, 2011 8:55 pm

I hear you, but I don't think losing Ogando, Bailey, and Hill is going to kill my team. But my roster is posted you tell me.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KaPluie » Sun May 22, 2011 9:05 pm

billycent wrote:I hear you, but I don't think losing Ogando, Bailey, and Hill is going to kill my team. But my roster is posted you tell me.

Don't know what you're league looks like or what the best teams look like, but Ogando and Bailey are nice depth SPs, and this move leaves you a bit thin if Liriano blows up. Hill is no big deal to lose. Could work out really well though, but given Liri's complete lack of control this year, he's a risky add at best. But, if it works out you've substantially improved your team. You'll likely have to sit him for weeks though, or suffer blown-up ratios, while you wait for him to get on solid ground.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby billycent » Sun May 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm adding Narveson tonight as soon as he clears waivers to bring back a little depth and once Soto comes back and gets going a little bit I'll prob move him for a decent sp to a c needy team as there are a few in my league. I see your point though, he's def a risk but I like the possible/probable reward.
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bois13 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:12 pm

id take that. Liriano has started to turn it around and I don't have enough faith in either Ogando or Bailey to keep it up for too much longer. Liriano is an easy SP2 IMO and the other two are no where near that..Id take it if i were you
bois13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby misterf » Sun May 22, 2011 9:41 pm

thanks for the help with mine.

its a good sell high, buy low type trade.

I agree with your assessment of the guys you sold. Ride 'em (or trade 'em) while they are hot....but I don't expect to see them at the top of the tankings at the end of the year.

i also like you picking up Martin. Once Soto is back, you should have 2 solid catchers....which gives you a nice bargaining chip for future trades.

The question is Liriano. If he does come back and become his old self, you made a great deal. And that is certainly possible.

But the jury is still out. Sometimes pitchers just fall apart. And I am starting to worry that might have happened with Liriano. But even if Liriano is done, you didn't give away too much to get him....so it is well worth the risk.

Of course, that is always the risk with sell high, buy low trades. There is no guarantee that the sell high player will fall back to earth, and there is no guarantee that the buy low player will turn it around. But the odds are in your favor....good luck.
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions