james shields - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

james shields

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: james shields

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon May 23, 2011 1:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:2.00 ERA, 2.68 xFIP despite the .249 BABIP (.304 career). Career high K/9, career low BB/9, though he is stranding an unsustainable 87.0% of base runners. His GB, FB, LD% are all pretty normal, as is his HR/FB.

I had been wondering how some of these numbers looked this year but had been too lazy to check since I don't own Shields in any leagues this year - seems like it's about as unrepeatable as his incredibly unlucky numbers from last year. I'm a big fan of "ride the streak", but I don't see how these numbers can be sustainable for too much longer - if I did own him, I'd certainly be trying to sell him right now as his value is at an all-time high today IMO :-?
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thatguy27 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Padsin05 wrote:
Tigers1223 wrote:Can he keep this Up??

I just dont see how a career avg pitcher can all of a sudden become an ace. But stranger things have happened

Cliff Lee did it.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gatorgreenwell » Mon May 23, 2011 3:45 pm

"Since 2007, Shields is one of only five major league pitchers with at least 200 innings and 150 strikeouts per year. The other four: Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia, Dan Haren and Matt Cain."
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=6528479

"The low walk rate and accompanying success of Shields can be traced to an adjustment he made in his delivery. He has simplified his delivery by stepping back more to the side behind the rubber. With less rotation needed from his upper body, his delivery is now less violent and more controlled. As a result, Shields is able to have better command of his pitches by having a more direct line to the catcher."
http://www.baseballprof.com/2011/04/tru ... hes-again/
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:59 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:2.00 ERA, 2.68 xFIP despite the .249 BABIP (.304 career). Career high K/9, career low BB/9, though he is stranding an unsustainable 87.0% of base runners. His GB, FB, LD% are all pretty normal, as is his HR/FB.

I had been wondering how some of these numbers looked this year but had been too lazy to check since I don't own Shields in any leagues this year - seems like it's about as unrepeatable as his incredibly unlucky numbers from last year. I'm a big fan of "ride the streak", but I don't see how these numbers can be sustainable for too much longer - if I did own him, I'd certainly be trying to sell him right now as his value is at an all-time high today IMO :-?

Currently the #2 rated starter behind Halladay. He's good but I would expect an ERA between 3-3.5 from here on out. Sell high if you can.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers