Blockbuster Complete...How'd I do? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Blockbuster Complete...How'd I do?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blockbuster Complete...How'd I do?

Postby pokerplaya » Sun May 22, 2011 1:22 pm

12 team, roto, 6x6 (OPS/BB the extra categories)

I am first in most of the pitching categories, including saves. My offense needs work, and while I think this might make my team marginally better overall offensively, I made the deal because I think value wise it works for me.

I deal: Joey Votto, Ian Desmond, Ryan Ludwick, Francisco Rodriguez

I receive: Billy Butler, Troy Tulowitski, Johnny Damon, CC Sabathia

Obviously a downgrade at 1B, but hopefully Butler picks it up a bit. Tulo is a clear upgrade from Desmond. I see Ludwick/Damon as a wash. Since he needed saves and I could afford to deal a closer I feel that getting CC back is more than enough and even though my staff doesn't necessarily need him, he'd bring pretty good value in a trade.

Thoughts?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Blockbuster Complete...How'd I do?

Postby Joscellin » Sun May 22, 2011 1:25 pm

pokerplaya wrote:12 team, roto, 6x6 (OPS/BB the extra categories)

I am first in most of the pitching categories, including saves. My offense needs work, and while I think this might make my team marginally better overall offensively, I made the deal because I think value wise it works for me.

I deal: Joey Votto, Ian Desmond, Ryan Ludwick, Francisco Rodriguez

I receive: Billy Butler, Troy Tulowitski, Johnny Damon, CC Sabathia

Obviously a downgrade at 1B, but hopefully Butler picks it up a bit. Tulo is a clear upgrade from Desmond. I see Ludwick/Damon as a wash. Since he needed saves and I could afford to deal a closer I feel that getting CC back is more than enough and even though my staff doesn't necessarily need him, he'd bring pretty good value in a trade.

Thoughts?

Your analysis here is pretty much spot on in my mind. The difference of Votto to Butler should, by the end of the year, be similar to the difference between Desmond or Tulo, so that's pretty much a wash. Same at Damon/Ludwick... I actually like Damon more there.

Obviously CC is where you really make out well. Even if you don't *need* him on staff, he'll give you a nice cushion on Ks and Ws. I like the trade a lot.
Joscellin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby smoovethug » Sun May 22, 2011 2:25 pm

I think you win here from an overall value standpoint. May even open up more trade opportunities for you later in the season if you're coasting in pitching.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon May 23, 2011 10:24 pm

I think a big part of this deal hinges on Butler. He needs to step it up, or I'm not going to be able to cut it offensively...I really need his average to recover, and it would help if he hits more than 10 hrs this year. He is the only part of this deal that makes me wonder... :-?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby kaiser » Tue May 24, 2011 7:30 am

My first instinct was to say that the Votto side of this deal is the better half. But as I consider it further, and read some of the other analysis here, I've changed my mind. My only real concern with your end of the deal is Tulo's health. If he stays healthy, and if Butler hits as he should, you did well here.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby lupus yonderboy » Tue May 24, 2011 9:09 am

i like Damon for Ludwick (in addition to the above mentioned)...Ludwick's on the frickin Padres and Damon i think will be this years Vladimir G surprise.

You did well.
lupus yonderboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bolthead04 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 am

I think you did great and your analysis is on the money. If Butler doesn't step it up, you can move CC for a replacement. Tulo, CC, and even Damon will do well, so you're golden.

Thanks for the help on mine. :)
First Year-First Team

Last Week: 9-2-0
Overall: 141-80-10 (16-5 by the week)
Bolthead04 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions