Trading Utley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading Utley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading Utley

Postby pmstick » Sun May 22, 2011 1:23 am

I have three viable 2Bs. Barney, A.Hill and Utley. One needs to go for a positional upgrade.

I am in first place without Utley and at first I thought it'd be great to wait him out and then put him in as an upgrade.

I have been rolling with Barney at the position who is the 10th best 2B according to my league scoring. He's been pretty consistent which is making me consider leaving him in. I'm very happy with the 20 points he's gotten me at the position on a weekly basis.

Barney's trade value is too low and is pretty valuable as a 2B/SS backup/starter.

Hill can't get me much, but maybe a mediocre pitcher like Fausto Carmona (pitcher-heavy scoring league) unless I wait on him a bit but he's not sought after much by other owners.

Utley may be the guy to trade for a nice upgrade at 1B or an additional starter. Would this be a good idea? And if so, when would be a good time to make/accept offers for Utley?

Should I hold on to him and ship Hill out? Any opinions are appreciated any I can offer my help in return.
12 Team H2H

C Posey (1B)
1B Butler
2B Pedroia
SS Andrus
3B Prado (2B, OF)
OF Harper, Heyward, Craig (1B)
UTL Jennings
SP Darvish, Latos, Cobb, Moore
RP Balfour

B Burnett, Ross, Wood, Dickey, Porcello, Kennedy
B Eaton

DL Holland+
pmstick
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading Utley

Postby lupus yonderboy » Sun May 22, 2011 7:17 am

i usually don't post to questions i feel underqualified for, but you're only seeking opinions, right ;)?

depends on the waiver wire (i.e. Hill's worth on the WW Vs. what you could bird in hand get for Utley).

your reasoning seems sound. i have Barney too in one of my leagues, and boy howdy, that kid looks like the real deal. He bats second most every night and only had a little early may slump to speak of. Plays hard and seems to have fun doing it. I'm not so familiar with Hill, though (Phillips is my everyday 2B)

You might make some tentative trade offers for Utley, just to see where he stands in your league value wise, and that's going to increase, methinks, as he gets back into form.

Again, your reasoning sounds solid...long haul thinking over the quick fix type of thing, so i'ld just watch that one particular area and see where it takes you.
lupus yonderboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Trading Utley

Postby ahcryky » Sun May 22, 2011 10:45 am

It would depend on what you can get for Utley. They have already said that he is gonna get plenty of rest during the season to keep him healthy. So if you can hype him it would be worth it. Hill won't get you anything worth trading him for, I would hope he goes on some kind of mini tear and trade him then, but I doubt it happens.
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions