Why don't vets use the DTKW forum? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why don't vets use the DTKW forum?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Why don't vets use the DTKW forum?

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 pm

rjforlife wrote:I frequent the DTKW forum for my own trade advice, and usually respond to 10+ of other people's while I am there. I also just peruse sometimes to check out who's going for what, and try to answer 5-10 questions while I am over there. What I don't understand is why none of the vets really go over there. I mean, I see Hootie,JP, and Smoove sometimes but outside of that there are almost all people with 0-500 posts in there. It's a little discouraging because the people who use this board most often generally have gleaned the most info and knowledge about fantasy baseball and the DTKW forum is where people need that knowledge.

Honestly, the whole point of the Cafe is to play better fantasy baseball, and what that really involves is pickups, trades, and keepers. At this point the drafts are done so the only thing left is pickups, trades, and keepers. I personally think it would be great for the site if some of the vets who post all day in Leftovers would venture over to DTKW every now and then and throw some advice at some of the newer members who need some help on a trade, or even a vet who just isn't 100% on a pickup. Don't get me wrong, the site is a godsend and I have enjoyed it these 8 years, I just want to see more and more people becoming more knowledgeable and enjoy the game even more. ;-D

I used to go there and rattle off about 4 to 5 opinions/day. I am on who doesn't NEED to be replied to but it got to a point where after spending my time trying to be helpful I had no idea if anything I wrote was either read or actually helpful. So I stopped. Plus, add in the fact that most questions deal with formats that are beyond my experience. Those questions are for a small number of readers instead of the general masses.

:-/
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Padsin05 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:59 pm

personally with the success of the daily thread in this forum, I think it would be more beneficial to have an official, trade/pickup/start thread on this board, or if I personally have any questions I usually sneak them into the daily threads and get help there.
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu May 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Matthias wrote:Because there's no value to it. It's not interesting. You're not going to learn anything. And if you spend time reading Leftovers, you're not going to take the advice of random other person on a pick up or a trade. And, at the end of the day, I don't really care whether or not some random stranger trades Adam Dunn for Grady Sizmore. Why would I? There's some interest to me in talking about how Adam Dunn will generally do because I can draft him or trade for him myself and because the underlying discussion as to why people think he's going to do whatever is interesting to me.

I'll let the ADHD keep the DTKW. And I'll stay in Leftovers.

pretty much how i feel as well. i used to put some time in but i got burnt out. answering for baseball is a lot more cumbersome than football as well since there's so many formats

it's hard to answer a simple question like "Bautista for Haladay?" without knowing all the specifics, but i also dont really have the time to deeply analyze them either.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm

I love the DTKW forum.
It's fun imo, to lend a hand.
The only down side is some questions are Mr. Obvious.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 19, 2011 9:06 pm

I simply don't have the time to answer questions as I used to... or even to spend no more than 5 minutes tweaking my fantasy rosters. I was more active around the Spring, but for the past couple of years, my activity dips once the year starts. I'm also not that much of a help these days, unfortunately.

As far as questions go, I tend not to answer the obvious ones. I answer the questions which have enough specifics without going into way too much detail.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Matthias » Thu May 19, 2011 9:24 pm

FWIW, I don't think we need more vets in DTKW. We need more n00bs in Leftovers. As all the vets know, that's the really valuable part of the Cafe.

If you want to go on a crusade, though, get all those curmudgeons out of GT.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu May 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Padsin05 wrote:personally with the success of the daily thread in this forum, I think it would be more beneficial to have an official, trade/pickup/start thread on this board, or if I personally have any questions I usually sneak them into the daily threads and get help there.

This is how I feel. DKTW questions seem to be fair game in the daily threads and the place where they're likely to get the most views. I can't navigate through a hundred daily DKTW questions, but I'm always happy to give advice here.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby jfg » Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 pm

The problem is leftovers isn't where everything should be consolidated into because it's hard to find relevant information and I think that's why noobs stay away from it. There's been some talk of ways to fix that among vets so hopefully this will change.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Matthias » Thu May 19, 2011 11:52 pm

jfg wrote:The problem is leftovers isn't where everything should be consolidated into because it's hard to find relevant information and I think that's why noobs stay away from it. There's been some talk of ways to fix that among vets so hopefully this will change.

Huh?

This is a message board. Leftovers is as well organized it should be. Check out Rotowire's version

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showforum=4

It's organized slightly differently. Each player has their own thread. But on the whole it isn't organized much differently from Leftovers and seems to work just fine. There's a reason that the people who have been here for a while pretty much go only to Leftovers.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jfg » Fri May 20, 2011 1:23 am

I disagree that this as organized as it can get. If you check the forums 5-10 times a day, yeah, it works. But for most people just looking for some info on a couple players it's not very user friendly having all information consolidated to a couple threads in a single forum. In my opinion, the Cafe has the most knowledgeable posters but I feel those voices get lost in massive threads or buried.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers